2019 ND Legislature and ND Sportsmens Etree

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
So let me understand this...... big corporation conservations buying land which would potentially open land to sportsmen= bad. But big time farmers and massive farming operations buying huge chuncks of land forever closing off access=good.........according to our state law? ..... ooffda...... these crony legislaotors keep up these anti- nd sportsmen bills there will be alot of things changing down the road.... i.e. initiated measures and conservation land acquisition. If the farm beaureu thinks they have a fight now just wait til this passes...... holy smokes.

- - - Updated - - -

Talk about painting yourself into a corner. Dont start no shit-wont be no shit.... haha i like that quote.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I listened on the KFGO radio show to Erbile call his new proposal a compromise on SB-2315/No Trespass, the electronic database for posting. Compromise sounds good, right? So what did they actually give up, for hunters, in return? Now reports say that Erble and his crew are changing the bill language again as of Friday afternoon, for the 3rd time, but will not release the wording of this 3rd change to the public. It is like a worm on a hook that is labeled compromise by these people.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has it been mentioned to possibly write the bill so that hunting is exempt? I haven't read every post but the one (not sure if in this thread or the other one) where KDM's legislator asked him how he'd feel if someone came and squatted on his land...make things like camping, etc. illegal without permission but not hunting. Or would that be too big of a loophole?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has it been mentioned to possibly write the bill so that hunting is exempt? I haven't read every post but the one (not sure if in this thread or the other one) where KDM's legislator asked him how he'd feel if someone came and squatted on his land...make things like camping, etc. illegal without permission but not hunting. Or would that be too big of a loophole?
defense attorneys dream

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I listened on the KFGO radio show to Erbile call his new proposal a compromise on SB-2315/No Trespass, the electronic database for posting. Compromise sounds good, right? So what did they actually give up, for hunters, in return? Now reports say that Erble and his crew are changing the bill language again as of Friday afternoon, for the 3rd time, but will not release the wording of this 3rd change to the public. It is like a worm on a hook that is labeled compromise by these people.
Any more details on the compromise? If they use the electronic database to post will everything be considered open unless a landowner chooses to post via the database? If the database is used and all land is considered posted then it’s a no deal. In order to close off access to land on the database it must be requested by the actual landowner. The database should also be the be all end all source for posting, so no letting people post physically or use there database, and they must use the database otherwise the land is legally open. If this is all done I could be in support of this database, but I don’t see the stockman side giving any real compromise.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are three big farmers close by here that post nothing except the 1/4s their buildings are on. I'm glad for that, many other hunters too. Probably close to 100,000 acres total that is open to hunting because they don't have time to take calls. I doubt very much this would remain open if they have to post it open on the internet under the database proposal for all the world to see. Who would? I wouldn't notify the world that I don't lock my house.

Mark Mazaheri

Yesterday I was told that 2315 is going to be reviewed a joint committee of Ag & Natural Resources, but the final vote will come from the Ag Committee. From there, it goes to a vote on the House floor. Any changes from the Senate version would then be reviewed by a conference committee compromised of both House & Senate members.

There are several issues to be addressed.
1) guides/outfitters should be prohibited from hunting on unposted land without permission. There's a big difference between freelance hunting and running a commercial operation on someone's land.
2) there should be a penalty for illegal/unauthorized posting that is equal to the penalty structure for hunting on posted land without permission.
3) NDGF should not have to pay for any of this. Originally the State IT department was going to cover it, then the sponsor slipped in a $250,000 bill to NDGF. If the Ag groups are pushing for it, they can pay.
4) areas posted in RED as "ABSOLUTELY NO HUNTING" should still provide landowner contact info, if for no other reason than safety. If I find a calf outside the fence, who would I call?
5)

Mark Mazaheri

I was just informed that the House Ag Committee will be amending SB 2315 back to a TOTAL TRESPASS LAW. Everything would be posted automatically. No permission = no access.

We must act now to get this bill KILLED on the House floor. Earlier today I went on KFGO requesting an interim committee to work on the bill. I have been informed that is no longer an option. So, the bill must die so we can save our hunting heritage.

First: send a note to the Ag Committee, asking them for a DO NOT PASS recommendation. Here is the list of email addresses:

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ag Committee:
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dennis Johnson – Chairman

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] djohnson@nd.gov;wtrottier@nd.gov; gdobervich@nd.gov; jblum@nd.gov; rbuffalo@nd.gov;jayfisher@nd.gov; cheadland@nd.gov; dhkiefert@nd.gov; amcwilliams@nd.gov; dwrichter@nd.gov; blsatrom@nd.gov; cschreiberbeck@nd.gov; kskroch@nd.gov; btveit@nd.gov;[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Second step: contact your House reps and ask them to VOTE NO on SB2315 when it comes to the floor. Call or email, it doesn't matter. Just be sure to give your name and address. If you don't provide contact info, your message will be ignored.

Please do it TODAY. Despite all the BS about property rights, I believe this was designed as an anti-hunting bill from the onset.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anti hunting from the stockmans association. What a slap in the face.

Mark, when is the committee vote, and when is the house vote?

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just informed that the House Ag Committee will be amending SB 2315 back to a TOTAL TRESPASS LAW. Everything would be posted automatically. No permission = no access.

We must act now to get this bill KILLED on the House floor. Earlier today I went on KFGO requesting an interim committee to work on the bill. I have been informed that is no longer an option. So, the bill must die so we can save our hunting heritage.

First: send a note to the Ag Committee, asking them for a DO NOT PASS recommendation. Here is the list of email addresses:

Ag Committee:
Dennis Johnson – Chairman
djohnson@nd.gov;wtrottier@nd.gov; gdobervich@nd.gov; jblum@nd.gov; rbuffalo@nd.gov;jayfisher@nd.gov; cheadland@nd.gov; dhkiefert@nd.gov; amcwilliams@nd.gov; dwrichter@nd.gov; blsatrom@nd.gov; cschreiberbeck@nd.gov; kskroch@nd.gov; btveit@nd.gov;

Second step: contact your House reps and ask them to VOTE NO on SB2315 when it comes to the floor. Call or email, it doesn't matter. Just be sure to give your name and address. If you don't provide contact info, your message will be ignored.

Please do it TODAY. Despite all the BS about property rights, I believe this was designed as an anti-hunting bill from the onset.

I hope it passes . Why would you , as a hunter want to hunt on land that you didn’t know for sure , don’t it get old looking to see if there’s a sign ? Why not just ask whether posted or not and know for sure . That’s way I always done it . One of things I like best about Montana, there’s no grey area , either you have permission or you don’t

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope it passes . Why would you , as a hunter want to hunt on land that you didn’t know for sure , don’t it get old looking to see if there’s a sign ? Why not just ask whether posted or not and know for sure . That’s way I always done it . One of things I like best about Montana, there’s no grey area , either you have permission or you don’t

North Dakota is not Montana. You can’t even corner cross onto PUBLIC land in Montana. You can’t hunt wilderness areas (again PUBLIC land) in Montana without a guide. Landownership is way different here too. Instead of large chunks of contiguous land owned by one individual, it’s a quarter here, half section there, etc. Trying to track down landownership info is not necessarily easy to do here. Try tracking down 5-10+ landowners during waterfowl migration on a given night, good luck.. South Dakota has road hunting laws, do we want that here? I don’t.. let’s keep things the way they are and increase fines and penalties for trespassing and poaching, because this bill doesn’t do jack shit to solve any of that. Any sportsmen or landowner that doesn’t get that and still wants this to pass, likely doesn’t want you hunting “their” wildlife when it happens to venture onto the neighbors property. This bill creates less access which translates to less hunters.

And to clarify, I have no problem tracking down landowners and asking permission. Even if unposted. The reaction I get 95% of the time is well it’s not posted is it?

This bill is not about private property rights because I guarantee if even 75% of landowners supported this bill, it would have been passed long ago. The truth is there is a small minority that’s wants this passed and these folks could care less if you have a place to hunt or not.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This law may not affect how you hunt but will have a huge impact on the general population of hunters. Like many said before ND is not MT and can never be because we are not allowed to increase public property acreages in ND. I don’t live in ND anymore and haven’t been hunting in ND since so why do I care? Because this will be a huge impact to my friends and family and will ruin the hunting heritage in ND. In the end I have thousands of public acres that I can now hunt in WY with my general elk and deer tag. I am afforded that luxury because of all the public land out here. Take that away and many of us would no longer have a place to hunt.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
North Dakota is not Montana. You can’t even corner cross onto PUBLIC land in Montana. You can’t hunt wilderness areas (again PUBLIC land) in Montana without a guide. Landownership is way different here too. Instead of large chunks of contiguous land owned by one individual, it’s a quarter here, half section there, etc. Trying to track down landownership info is not necessarily easy to do here. Try tracking down 5-10+ landowners during waterfowl migration on a given night, good luck.. South Dakota has road hunting laws, do we want that here? I don’t.. let’s keep things the way they are and increase fines and penalties for trespassing and poaching, because this bill doesn’t do jack shit to solve any of that. Any sportsmen or landowner that doesn’t get that and still wants this to pass, likely doesn’t want you hunting “their” wildlife when it happens to venture onto the neighbors property. This bill creates less access which translates to less hunters.

And to clarify, I have no problem tracking down landowners and asking permission. Even if unposted. The reaction I get 95% of the time is well it’s not posted is it?

This bill is not about private property rights because I guarantee if even 75% of landowners supported this bill, it would have been passed long ago. The truth is there is a small minority that’s wants this passed and these folks could care less if you have a place to hunt or not.

I thought that was Wyoming?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think your right, thought Montana had the same rule. The corner hoping rule is BS though and landowners even try to stop getting helicoptered into public land that is landlocked.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member

It is - he has know idea what he’s talking about

- - - Updated - - -

I think your right, thought Montana had the same rule. The corner hoping rule is BS though and landowners even try to stop getting helicoptered into public land that is landlocked.

Dont believe everything Randy Newberg says - not all landowners are evil

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Either are most hunters. See a huge problem we have in this country right now is we make laws for a small fringe of the population. This is a prime example. Most landowners are great most hunters are great but here we are arguing a law because a fringe number of each. Nonsense if you ask me

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is - he has know idea what he’s talking about

- - - Updated - - -

Dont believe everything Randy Newberg says - not all landowners are evil

I was wrong, got the two states mixed up. I’m sure you know everything though, so go ahead and pat yourself on the back. Just because it’s wyoming doesn’t make it any better. It’s a bullshit law no matter what state it’s in. Public lands is for the public, not just those who pay a guide.

And about landowners, not even close to what I said. Keep twisting words though if it makes you sleep better.

Last edited:

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wrong, got the two states mixed up. I’m sure you know everything though, so go ahead and pat yourself on the back. Just because it’s wyoming doesn’t make it any better. It’s a bullshit law no matter what state it’s in. Public lands is for the public, not just those who pay a guide.

And about landowners, not even close to what I said. Keep twisting words though if it makes you sleep better.

not twisting words - your right , public land is everyone’s and should stay that way - I feel same about private , it’s mine and I should decide who enters it and I shouldn’t have to put up signs . Answer me this - how will this affect the way you hunt ? Honest question

- - - Updated - - -

I think there’ll be way less road hunting . That’s a great thing

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Road hunting became more popular the more posted signs went up. It won’t stop guys from ditch banging roosters or other critters. It’s usually most successfully carried out by your neighbors/ small town locals as they know your daily routine.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76