2019 ND Legislature and ND Sportsmens Etree

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to thank Mark Mazaheri for starting this thread. Knowing about the Bills before the Legislature and their impacts to sportsmen are useful. Mark brought up the Trespass Bill.

Eyexer said,

theyre just arrogant anti hunting land owners. Probably throw in selfish too. It’s a disease slowly growing

Not useful.

PrairieGhost response to Eyexer,

I am so
happy
people are starting to catch on to this.

Hmm. It makes retired federal agent PG happy to hear Eyexer name call landowners as arrogant selfish anti hunting.

This kind of talk is not useful. PG, take it over to nodakouthouse where you are the moderator.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz has a solid point.

for the record I own no land other than the 2.5 acres my house sits on.

I don't think I would want this bill to pass but in my honest opinion its not if its "when"

bashing name calling, pointing fingers from either side isn't helping. man calling landowers selfish, arrogant, anti hunting??? yeah good luck getting on land man! wow I just dropped $300 on landowers gifts and 3/4 of the ones I archery and or goose hunt on either called me back and texted me telling me it wasn't needed your always welcome to hunt. I replied to both saying hey if you need help working cattle, driving shit around the farm let me know ( none of them will take me up on it) but the one even said I will drive you around next summer i have some better land for you to bowhunt the guy that use to hunt it moved away and its all yours.

point is yeah I see the publics side I really do and if this trepass bill happens there will be push back which there should be. if landowers want private property rights that's fine but don't expect the public to give up "their" land anymore ie road hunting, grazing rights, etc.

but to bash landowerns not the right way to go about it

on the flip side landowenrs need to realize the more people you alienate to hunting and fishing the more people move to the city, the more people that move to the city the less that care about ag related bills, tipics, funding etc, I.E democratic and liberal based opinions. both sides need to realize we need each other or were eventually both gonna fail......

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last night I attended a legislative function. Sen. Erbele was there but I didn't visit with him directly. What I was hearing is Stockmens etc. are looking for a trespass Bill not an anti-hunting Bill. This Bill is going to be introduced by Erbele and will morph many times on its way through the session. What they want is for sportsmen to come in and give input looking for a compromise.

They want to talk about onxmaps etc.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
well if this passes at lease Erbele will always be able to say he was the catalyst in ending hunting as we know it in ND.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last night I attended a legislative function. Sen. Erbele was there but I didn't visit with him directly. What I was hearing is Stockmens etc. are looking for a trespass Bill not an anti-hunting Bill. This Bill is going to be introduced by Erbele and will morph many times on its way through the session. What they want is for sportsmen to come in and give input looking for a compromise.

They want to talk about onxmaps etc.

Curious, what is a compromise in this situation, and what do they want to know about OnX?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
"compromise" ha! Heres a compromise....as soon as the law passes that private access is closed unless posted, a new law will be enacted that opens public right of ways to public hunting. Just like SD. Gotta be some give. No more posting section lines/ditches even if you own one/both sides. And everyone complains about road hunting now? ha ha ha

In regards to onx. I"m sure they want a digital database where people can opt in/out and it will be on there. I"m sure they will try and make everyone feel warm and fuzzy that everyone will participate too.

Traaaaaaaain wreck coming. Hang on folks.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing. How about we just enforce the trespass laws currently on the books? More laws are not going to curb trespass issues. Might actually make them worse.

Right, because this really isnt about trespass laws/enforcement. Its anti-hunting/hunters. Just another wedge unfortunately.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chance for resident hunters to get a cap on waterfowl use it to negotiate

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
So all I hear is everything is posted and there is no access every year around deer season. Is that not the case and there is a lot of un posted land that would get messed up?

Thats all you hear? You sure make a lot of global generalizations. Just because everything in your little world is ok doesn't mean its a mess other places. Just because you hear a few people complain about posted land doesn't mean everyone is complaining. I would imagine the number of people talking about how everything is posted would skyrocket with a no trespass law. One of my main worries is that this is another avenue to go down that will in the end hurt hunting as heritage and in the end hurt gun owners. But i'm afraid that the people who said money talks and bullshit walks are hitting the proverbial nail on the head.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think someone else pointed this out also but it will be a huge detriment to people’s impression on farmers. It won’t be pretty I wouldn’t think.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

My questions were serious. I am genuinely curious. I even had the number up to call OnX to see if they could do a map overlay of private lands open to hunting vs closed, and how that would all work. But I wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about or not...

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whisky,

I don't have any answers. I am an avid goose hunter and a guy never knows where last nights scouting plans can abruptly change the next morning. I got permission from the son while his dad had already given permission to another group. So now try to find another field and it's much too early to call a farmer or he is already out the door.

Usually scouting the night before a fellow knows about another field "not" posted. I've had to set up decoys on plan B many times. If a no Trespass law is passed or everything is considered posted.....well, that is going to screw up my goose hunting.

Mark Mazaheri

Yesterday another bill came up, sponsored by the regular group of Legislators who generally refuse to support Resident Hunters. Notably, Senator Erbele is probably the most anti-hunter, though Senators Klein and Unruh are close behind. Of the House sponsors, Reps Brandenberg and Nelson haven't been too supportive of resident sportsmen, either, but Dick Anderson has always been willing to listen.
SB2201 Active 01/17/2019 - 10:00AM Allows a nonresident to purchase a waterfowl license that is valid for three four-day periods for $200, and $50 of the fee must be used for the Private Land Open To Sportsmen program.
This same proposal has been brought forward several times by the same group. Senator Jessica Unruh from Beulah is Chair of Senate Natural Resources Committee. She has not shown great support for Resident Hunters and her sponsorship of this bill is reason to be concerned, as it could impact the fairness of the hearing.

Another sponsor, Jerry Klein from Fessenden, took the PETA stance while arguing for a similar bill last session; basically saying 7 day hunts were too hard on the dogs and they needed an opportunity to rest. Seriously. He said it.

Please contact the members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee and ask them to vote NO on SB2201.

Senate Energy & Natural Resources Committee contact info:
Chair Jessica Unruh, Beulah [email]jkunruh@nd.gov[/email]
Vice Chair Curt Kreun, Grand Forks, ckreun@nd.gov
Dwight Cook, Mandan dcook@nd.gov
Merrill Piepkorn, Fargo mpiepkorn@nd.gov
Jim Roers, Fargo [email]jroers@nd.gov[/EMAIL]
Don Schaible, Mott dgschaible@nd.gov

Hopefully I didn't miss any committee members.

As I stated in the beginning of this thread; you may disagree, but I simply won't have time to address every concern that comes up in this forum. The discussion of issues is a positive thing, as long as we keep it clean.

Contact those Senators TODAY. If you don't do it, no one else will.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure what their motivation is behind that last one.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently non-resident waterfowl hunters can choose a 14 consecutive day period stay in ND or break their stay in half with two 7 day periods. With this new option (Bill) they can break their stay into three 4 consecutive day periods essentially screwing themselves out of 2 days.

When a waterfowler picks the day period included is the unit. By selecting different day periods they can move around to different units there-by distributing the pressure.

Just my guess.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve written before about better distribution of waterfowl hunters would be a good thing but this bill doesn’t do that.

Mark Mazaheri

2018 saw an increase of about 3.5% in nonresident waterfowl licenses.
NR Waterfowl Statewide
3.6%
NR Waterfowl Zone
3.1%
Total NR Waterfowl
3.2%

This bill would give nonresidents the ability to come back 3times instead of two (current law). While it would reduce the max daysfrom 14 to 12, it really just means we’ll have another weekend inundated withnon-residents. There were 21,284 non-resident waterfowl licensespurchased last year with the regs in their current format. What do youthink that will jump to when they can come another weekend for only a nominalincrease? LICENSE FEES ARE NOT AN ISSUE TO NONRESIDENT HUNTERS.

1. This is essentially the same proposal that was defeated in previous legislative sessions. It further expands nonresident hunting in a time of decreasing resources/habitat.
      2. the additional money offered to PLOTS is almost irrelevant because ND lacks the quality habitat for the program, not the money to pay for it. The revenue from one additional license won’t cover one acre of PLOTS.
      3. Nonresidents would have the ability to hunt most of the waterfowl season, leading to increased leasing and purchase of land by nonresidents and increased land prices for our farmers and ranchers.

This bill won’t do anything for ND resident sportsmen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75