Winnipeg 2018-19

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDA party at the petersfield motor inn?

Gonna head up Wed the 13th. Gonna miss that Petersburg party by a week lol. Ill Keep my eye out for a newer SUV with license plate that reads BOATFND. but guessing youll be long gone by then

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I too will be heading up on the 13th. Looks like some warmer weather and some snow in the forecast. Hopefully the bite picks up a bit by then. If its anything like previous trips for me, I'll be happy with a fish over 20".

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna head up Wed the 13th. Gonna miss that Petersburg party by a week lol. Ill Keep my eye out for a newer SUV with license plate that reads BOATFND. but guessing youll be long gone by then

That's actually a funny license plate! It's going to be a relatively quick trip for us. Leaving today after work, then home on sunday....maybe. I'll be in my pickup with the big DH customs logo on the rear window.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, we made it back and didn’t even have to deal with your blizzard this weekend. Overall, we had a pretty great trip. I got my dad up to Winnipeg for the first time and he was rewarded with a 29” master. Not a lot of numbers but we did ice quite a few masters. I’m still king of 27” greenbacks.

2A42F997-D15A-4F5F-8F55-0D73080AF5C0.jpg
EAB216A1-16CF-4A37-A0DC-245E853005E0.jpg
55E8E49C-3515-4B7F-9EFB-44CB9A952733.jpeg
34AD8146-4AB0-4CE4-B5CE-496524B6AA24.jpg
E3129558-D6D3-4CD1-B952-54DCF1C80142.jpg
7C6AE765-5B9F-43CA-846E-E5F8365B2B11.jpg
3C770E2B-6411-4C36-9982-848C48AD9459.jpg

Attachments

6314C471-8F52-4884-A8DF-60B20CB9230B.jpg
Last edited:

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
That there is a great weekend, Dirty! That pic holding that fish with gold spoon, the emerald green showing is perfect.

Unfortunately with the shit weather we are gonna get, i have to cancel trip up there. 3rd time cancelling this year.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks, heard from another group that was just up there that 10-11fow bottom of the ice was the best for them. They were on the east side.

We always fish the west side, out to the mouth. Might have to take longer runs over to the east side this year.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you staying? If in Selkirk its about the same distance to pruden as it is to warner road. we fished friday and saturday out of Pruden and sunday out of Warner with similar results. slow for us.

1gdhntr

We fished Thursday afternoon until Monday morning. Fishing was very very slow. moved as much as our backs could handle since there was over 5ft of ice to drill through. access on Pruden's is very rough. it is accessible but really rough. have to take it very slow. I thought the lake was smoother then Pruden's. we fished from 2ft of water to 17ft of water. had the most luck with the bigger fish in that 10-11 foot range. fished both East and West side of mouth and in the mouth as well. most people fishing were spread out everywhere. a few smaller big groups in certain areas.

they were doing a Creel Survey each day as we came off the ice. spoke with them each day and the most fish anyone caught in one day was 21 fish and that was with a group of 10 guys. Also, there was 2 fishing derby's on each side of the lake. the East side derby got a total of 3 fish between 200 anglers and the West side derby got 1 fish between 100 anglers. the fish are not grouped up as of yet. when you found a fish you didn't find more than one. we tried one day to stay put and see if that helped out success rate and it was about the same results. seem to have caught 1 fish per hour or so maybe.

all and all it is fishing. it was fun and we didn't have to shovel snow back home so it was a good trip. if it was easy everyone would smash masters all day long. we ended with 2 masters between three guys. good luck to anyone going up there. it will only get better!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man those reports don't sound the best.
Yet I know of two guys that did really good this past weekend, guess you just never know. We're headed up tomorrow, try to beat the storm.
Thursday will probably be a pain in the ass with the wind but the rest of the days look good. Guess we'll see what happens. Last months trip was good for us "9 masters 3 guys 2.5 days" so hopefully our luck keeps going. Taking 2 buddies that have never been there so that will be fun!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where are you staying? If in Selkirk its about the same distance to pruden as it is to warner road. we fished friday and saturday out of Pruden and sunday out of Warner with similar results. slow for us.

My dad pulls his wheel house up every year and we stay in that out on the lake. Past years have been decent and we've been able to get out from the landing a little bit. This year I am hoping that the area used by the derby last weekend is still plowed out a bit and we can park the wheelhouse there.

First year up there with the wheelhouse out of Warner, we parked it right by the landing. Some jackwagon stole my dads generator from right outside the door while we were inside sleeping. Now we try to get it away from the landing and the crowd.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going up Tuesday the 19th, haven’t been up for over a month. Will I need 2 extensions or just one? Got strikemaster lithium with 2 12” extensions.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Nils Master with a 12in extension is going through. Had a few spots where it almost didn't. The original shaft is longer than most augers. Don't surprised if you need two extensions. Fishing has been tough.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy just got back said they caught 50 fish a day with a group of 9 and biggest was 11 pounds

iceeyes

We were able to get through with a 12 inch extension and 3 inch quick connect this weekend. We just didn't drill where the snow was deep. On the fishing side of it we iced 150-175 fish between 3 of us in 3 days of fishing. Early mornings were crucial to be set up and fish well before light at least for us.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like you guys did way better than we did.
Went up with my dad and uncle, fished Thursday-Saturday. Dad and uncle don't seem to want to get up early any more so we were a little late getting setup every day. Every day was a grind, until about 6pm. We moved 10 or more times per day, tried depths from 8-18 fow below the ice. Found baitfish and marked quite a few smaller fish in 15-16fow, but nothing really active and chasing the baitfish. We were just on the east side of the mouth, directly north, and on the west side.
10fow below the ice seemed best after 6pm. We caught 90% of our fish in the evenings. I think I caught 24 fish total in 3 days, one 26", 28", and a 28.5". The 2 28"ers came Saturday evening in a 15 minute span, kind of salvaged the trip for me. Green bait ball tipped with a minnow head did the best for us.
I had the tracked atv and dad and uncle had wheels on their atvs. Travel was a little rough, especially moving east-west, but not terrible. Snowpack was hard and they had no problems getting around on wheels. There was a surprising number of trucks and suvs traveling out to the mouth on Saturday. Big caravans all going out, they really beat the crap out of their vehicles. I should've taken a picture of where they were crossing the ridge, I don't think I would've gone through there with an ATV. 1 extension was fine 95% of the time, I only found a couple times where it wasn't enough.

Sunday I got up early and drove another 75 minutes north to Hecla Island. Accessed at Gull Harbour and fished off a point. Water is clear up there, and good structure. Caught 4 small walleyes in the first 1.5 hrs and then tried a different spot, a reef off the shoreline with big boulders on it. No fish there. I was the only one fishing those spots, but there were 30 or more people fishing on a different point. Current is present and first point I fished only had about 16" ice. Interesting area for sure, not sure if the big walleye are in that area this time of year, kind of kicking myself for not driving over and talking with some of the other guys up there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77