Winnipeg 2018-19

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got back yesterday from our annual trip. Great weather, used tracks bur tires on ranger would have been fine. Trucks were going out of Warner but no trucks out of east side accesses. 3 of us ended up with 4 over 28 and and 1 over 30. Not many fish each day but we stayed deeper trying to catch big fish. started each day in 8 feet and worked to 14 feet, then back shallower as evening got closer. Probably should have stayed in 8-12 feet all day. two big groups, one outside red river mouth and another a few miles west of Patricia Bay. Fish were biting both places. Accessed at Warner Rd first two days and Patricia bay the third. Fun trip overall! 3 days of 35 degree weather and no wind!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention, i suck at uploading pictures but two of our masters came off of out Snooty Patooties! Firetiger was our other best color. Thanks Dirty!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went up Thursday night and fished Friday, Saturday and a little on Sunday. Friday started off decent, but by noon the wind was whipping and it was snowing and quite cold fishing without a shelter. We shut it down a little early that day and hit the peelers and the Bronze Boot for supper. Saturday and Sunday were both pretty sunny and nice, even though the temps were still below normal. I've never seen the ice in such good condition for the last weekend...no cracks, ridges or water to deal with at all. We caught a number of keeper-size fish, but no real monsters. My buddy did get a master right at 28.25, but all I managed was a 25 and 26.

Lots of vehicles on the ice. It's so funny watching some of these people beat the shit out of their trucks. We had one guy come by us probably showing off a bit and a hit a hard snow ridge and got airborne a bit. His gas auger came flying out of the back of his pickup. I so wish I had that on video. It's so froze up there yet that trucks still mostly drive right on top of any remaining drifts.

I do have to say this is the third year of using nothing but electric augers up there and how damn nice that is. Even so, drilling a bunch of 48 inch deep holes still gets the back a little sore at the end of the day. I can't imagine doing that anymore with a gas. I bought the 12.0 Milwaukee battery this year, and I got 23 holes out of that puppy.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

txe0las

Anyone planning on heading to Big Windy this winter. I am planning my first trip up and looking for any gear rec's. rods, baits, places to stay etc.

The JT Rod that DirtyMike mentioned sounds fantastic if it is better than TUCR and Thorne.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Anyone planning on heading to Big Windy this winter. I am planning my first trip up and looking for any gear rec's. rods, baits, places to stay etc.

The JT Rod that DirtyMike mentioned sounds fantastic if it is better than TUCR and Thorne.

We most likely are. That or Fort peck.

Bring a towel to wrap the pig you may catch in.

txe0las

Oh man Fort Peck is on my bucket list as well! Not sure I understand 'Bring a towel to wrap the pic you may catch in'?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Canada require the jab to visit?

Yes I believe they do.

I'm tempted to go this year after about a 3 year hiatus considering not much pressure last year and hopefully not as big of crowds this year because of vaccine requirements. May be a banner year!
:;:rockit

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh man Fort Peck is on my bucket list as well! Not sure I understand 'Bring a towel to wrap the pic you may catch in'?

1. catch trophy fish
2. get towel soaking wet and wrap fish with it to freeze solid and protect the fins
3. send frozen fish to MSA to mount

FullSizeR.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. catch trophy fish
2. get towel soaking wet and wrap fish with it to freeze solid and protect the fins

1696684828423.png

MSA is in Minot. Looks like, at least in the winter, you could just stick a stamp on it and mail the whole dang thing to him.

txe0las

Rod recommendations anyone? Looking at 34" black reign from JT. 38 seems a bit much. Curious which one was being dicussed in the start of the thread.

HUNTFISHND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Elliott Nomad & Greenback that I like to use when I'm up there. I really like the feel of the Elliott rods. I pair them both with an Okuma Ceymar C-10 reel.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. catch trophy fish

1696684828423.png

You can tell that's a northern wrapped in a towel

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend just got back from Canada. You need a vaccine, and negative test taken within 72 hours of crossing. Customs is randomly testing people as well. Custom agents want a more detailed timeline of your plans.

He got me a pallet of Coffee Crisps!

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
#guyfartnpoopin....heading to ft peck then eh?,on my bucket list as well,nice sized eyes coming out of Oahe this fall,another possibility early ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66