Winnipeg 2018-19

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What an exciting and frustrating weekend it was on Lake Winnipeg. First of all, this was by far the earliest I've ever been up to Big Windy. Friday (Day 1), we launched out of Pruden's creek. Fairly easy access, but there was some rough ice next to shore. After about 300 yards, you were on good ice.

Fishing on Friday was a big underwhelming. I believe our biggest fish were a pair of 27's. A few eaters. We were sure that Saturday couldn't get any worse. *Morgan Freeman's voice* "But they were wrong."

Saturday, we launched out of Warner Road. Zero issues and great travel on the ice. Some small ridges and rough patches to work through so make sure you take your time. Again, fishing was not good on Saturday. We stayed in the 12-14 FOW (to the top of the ice). I believe we caught one master that day and a couple 27's again.

Sunday morning was much better. We ran out of Warner again, but we headed to the mouth in search of shallow water. 7 FOW was better, but still not great. We ended the morning run with two 28's, a 27, two 26's and a couple 24 and 25's.

Baits were a tricky deal. A healthy dose of spoons and lipless cranks all produce with no real pattern being established. Xstream Tackle rattle stix were a good option to have. I would assume a buckshot or clam rattling spoons would work if you don't want any more tackle purchases. Jackals, live targets, northland rippin shad, kamooki, and of course DH Customs all had a fair amount of biting fish. I will tell you, having salties on seemed to be the best option.

I got to use a JT rod, black reign version, for the first time. I feel bad for my thorne bros and tuned up customs that will stay at home now. What a fantastic sensitivity and backbone. I also got to ride in a pretty ridiculous Polaris Ranger that had all the bells and whistles complete with a ProFab Outdoors topper. All of our vexilars, rods, heaters and tackle rode in the topper and were always in the same place we left it. If you're in the market for either the jt rods or the toppers, pm me and I can get you in touch with the guy.

IMG_E8971.jpg
IMG_E8954.jpg
IMG_E8956.jpg
IMG_8965.jpg
IMG_E8970.jpg
IMG_E8932.jpg
IMG_E8958.jpg

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like some nice fish for sure! Thanks for the report. Any colors seem to do better than the rest?

Looking forward to getting up there. Might try a trip in January, but March for sure this year. Fort Peck in February and Clearwater in April will round out the year for destination trips.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any colors seem to do better than the rest?

In a nutshell, no. Seemed like they'd hit pretty much anything if bait was on it. Of course, I had snooty down for the majority of the trip. Sunday morning was when that color finally started working. Seemed like an even split between natural and fluorescent colors.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're getting spoiled when those fish are considered a slow weekend, haha. It's still fishing, even up there, and the high pressure probably didn't help you out much.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're getting spoiled when those fish are considered a slow weekend, haha. It's still fishing, even up there, and the high pressure probably didn't help you out much.

No doubt. What an incredible fishery they have.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice work! Always a disappointment when there's not a 30" or better on the ice when we're talking about big windy, but that's still a high quality trip with some 28"-26" mixed in. Did you find that you marked a decent amount of fish that didn't bite? Not gonna make it up in March this year, but already planning a Feb trip. Just wondering if there really is a difference in the bite or is it just sheer numbers in march that brings the masses.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice work! Always a disappointment when there's not a 30" or better on the ice when we're talking about big windy, but that's still a high quality trip with some 28"-26" mixed in. Did you find that you marked a decent amount of fish that didn't bite? Not gonna make it up in March this year, but already planning a Feb trip. Just wondering if there really is a difference in the bite or is it just sheer numbers in march that brings the masses.

Just not a lot of action. anything we marked, we generally caught.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you see any commercial nets while out on the ice?

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any info on what it takes to get back and forth across the border. A few buddies and I are talking about making a trip up there. I do not have a passport. Will a Real ID work?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A fishing trip is a gem all by itself. I’ve always done best up there when the weather was crappy. Nice pics!

Jimhardy

Hey Guys , Jim from Manitoba here, saw you heading out in those hard to miss side by sides Sunday morning , we did about the same as you but I get to go every weekend so getting that 30+ isn't as much pressure for us.

Just wanted to let everyone know we have a couple of great cabins we rent for the winter months if anyone is looking to plan a trip up.

these are the links , calender's are current so if there are open dates that work for you let me know . both places are fully equipped houses ( the big one has a pool table , 80" TV with full satellite and is lake front. )

https://www.cottagesincanada.com/8melvillelane

https://www.cottagesincanada.com/11lilac

for the rest of you any time you might have questions or may need some help while up here , keep my cell number and text me , I will do whatever i can to help you out so your trip is a great one.
thanks guys , have a great hard water season.
Jim Hardy 204-792-1053

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

If you are looking for numbers, late Feb and March are the times to go.

For size, I had my best trip for big fish in the middle of Jan a few years ago, fishing days with 20-30 below windchill. We only caught 15 fish over 2 days, but 9 of them were over 25" and I caught my PB 31" along with a 29.5". I would say you can get the big ones any time of year up there, I'd like to take a trip up around Christmas, don't have to drill through 40" of ice and less people around.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys , Jim from Manitoba here, saw you heading out in those hard to miss side by sides Sunday morning , we did about the same as you but I get to go every weekend so getting that 30+ isn't as much pressure for us.

Just wanted to let everyone know we have a couple of great cabins we rent for the winter months if anyone is looking to plan a trip up.

these are the links , calender's are current so if there are open dates that work for you let me know . both places are fully equipped houses ( the big one has a pool table , 80" TV with full satellite and is lake front. )

https://www.cottagesincanada.com/8melvillelane

https://www.cottagesincanada.com/11lilac

for the rest of you any time you might have questions or may need some help while up here , keep my cell number and text me , I will do whatever i can to help you out so your trip is a great one.
thanks guys , have a great hard water season.
Jim Hardy 204-792-1053

I cannot recommend Jim enough. We stay in his houses each year, and he has been great!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74