Which wild game meat tastes the best?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a question for people that like eating duck: Does it taste good because you were able to get the game taste out of it or does it taste good to you because of the game taste (you like the game taste)?

I've tried a number of different recipes for duck and made sure it wasn't overcooked, etc. Even though I have made it taste better, it still has a disagreeable gamy taste that I don't all the way enjoy. Is it that I cooked it wrong or will I never enjoy it because the gamy flavor is always going to be there?

I legit enjoy the "gamey" flavor. Actually had a couple of left over grilled breasts today.

- - - Updated - - -

But I also don't think it is that gamey. It's certainly not skinless boneless chicken breast, it actually has flavor. Not sure why people run from that.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for people that like eating duck: Does it taste good because you were able to get the game taste out of it or does it taste good to you because of the game taste (you like the game taste)?

I've tried a number of different recipes for duck and made sure it wasn't overcooked, etc. Even though I have made it taste better, it still has a disagreeable gamy taste that I don't all the way enjoy. Is it that I cooked it wrong or will I never enjoy it because the gamy flavor is always going to be there?

I like the gamey taste

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
The gamey flavor will always be there, which I like to a point, as long as it's cooked right.

I probably don't love it like some of the others here. I prefer to cover up some of the gaminess with a bit of smoke, a little sauce or marinade, etc. You're not going to see me season it up with just S&P like I would a good ribeye.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, I don't understand the gamey taste you guys are talking about. My wife says the same as some of you dolts "It tastes gamey, I don't like it". Maybe its not gamey, maybe that's the way the good Lord intended it to taste. How does anyone know what "gamey tasting is", is it something special that I am missing? :;:huh Can anyone of you duckers describe the gamey taste thing to me? ;:;boozer

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, I don't understand the gamey taste you guys are talking about. My wife says the same as some of you dolts "It tastes gamey, I don't like it". Maybe its not gamey, maybe that's the way the good Lord intended it to taste. How does anyone know what "gamey tasting is", is it something special that I am missing? :;:huh Can anyone of you duckers describe the gamey taste thing to me? ;:;boozer

My view exactly. beef doesn't taste like pork. Salmon doesn't taste like walleye either.Wild game tastes like wild game. I agree that some game can get pretty strong tasting, especially if not taken care of properly. I don't like the taste of fat on a deer either. But duck fat, that is very flavorful. If you're going to breast a nice fat mallard, pick the breast and leave thet skin on. Roast duck? Haven't used in a few years out do have a recipe that has a wild rice dressing and is basically covered in an orange juice concoction. Make sure the duck is picked so the skin is on while roasting. Very tasty and moist. I've had failures where even what I cooked didn't taste good to me. I thoroughly enjoy cooking wild game and have people say "Wow, I can't believe that's duck, or whatever other animal it may be.

One key is that wild game is pretty fat-free compared to a corn fed steer. Somehow you need to find some moisture while cooking.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
buck piss

boar taint

those “hormone” flavors from hell are what I consider gamey

once in a blue moon I’ll buy pork that has boar taint and I get a refund after cleaning up the vomit

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member

You're right. It is what it is. Domestic meat, especially chicken, is bland by comparison. Being that I grew up eating domestic meat my whole life, duck just has a taste that isn't that good to me. But I still love duck hunting and will continue to eat them even though the rest of my family doesn't like them.

Has anyone every eaten a domestic duck? How do they taste?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here's one I just fried up this morning.
Light fry in butter with onions and a dash of Lawrey's seasoning salt.
They were awesome.
Guess what game bird it is?
A little over 2" in length.

breast.jpg

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Being how you are a duck hunter (near water) my guess is snipe/rail or woodcock (not sure if you have have those in ND).

I put pheasant and bobwhite quail at the top of my list. Never had Moose, but hope to hunt one someday...

I believe anything that is cooked in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup should be fed to your dog...

Agree that with enough ingredients you can cover up or mask flavors, so I like the idea of minimal ingredients in the taste testing...

Whisky...would you mind sharing the ratios with your ingredients???

I would sure appreciate some duck recipes. Anyone willing to share? My son shot 3 mallards last weekend. We plucked them whole and roasted them...then the wife ordered a pizza...

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you're gonna pluck the whole bird (good call), go even further and try this: https://www.bradleysmoker.com/recipe/best-smoked-duck-recipe/

I usually do these in batches for efficiency. Once all of them are smoked, one gets brought to temp to eat right away, the rest get cooled and then frozen. Unfortunately the skin isn't very good after freezing but that bird that gets eaten right away, oh man. The legs and wings are the best. Salty and rich, the skin crispy and delicious. You will literally see peoples eyes just light up when they take that first bite. You get a couple of corn fed fatty mallards, (I've done pintails and wood ducks too-- all awesome) you would be hard pressed to find something better.

- - - Updated - - -

man do I love me some duck a l'orange done right at a restaurant - goodness gracious
Shit guy, I almost forgot. Duck l'orange is our Christmas dinner this year. I guess the recipe is from JFK's White House chef? Not sure if that's verified or not but I'm stoked.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

That would be closer to 4" in length.

It is from a woodcock.
I have several more in the freezer from this fall.

I forgot how good they tasted. Very tender dark meat.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps a merganser would fit the bill.
That is one duck I have to doctor up with a bunch of seasonings. I admit there are some bad tasting ducks. HA!

Did you catch how I had that play on words??

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess I'm just optimistic when it comes to inches....:D

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Species of duck as well as time of year matters a lot. I had some mallards from opener this year, and did the grilled bacon wrapped poppers thing. Those guys tasted like they spent summer at the sewage lagoon. I had 2 late season (fat) widgeons that I breasted out with the skin on. I just fried them in a cast iron with salt and pepper, skin side down first, then flipped for a couple more minutes to medium rare. Honestly one of the best things I've ever had, my wife even wished I there was more. Goose is not my favorite. They are usually jerky or get the bacon/jalapeno treatment.

Hard to beat moose for big game. Haven't ventured out with small game like rabbit or squirrel, though I'd like to.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75