Which wild game meat tastes the best?

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am definitely not a waterfowl hunter and have never had duck. I have had goose, flavor was decent but it was very dry. After seeing the post of the duck that is rare. How do you get away with not cooking a bird all the way through? I must be missing something.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being how you are a duck hunter (near water) my guess is snipe/rail or woodcock (not sure if you have have those in ND).

I put pheasant and bobwhite quail at the top of my list. Never had Moose, but hope to hunt one someday...

I believe anything that is cooked in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup should be fed to your dog...

Agree that with enough ingredients you can cover up or mask flavors, so I like the idea of minimal ingredients in the taste testing...

Whisky...would you mind sharing the ratios with your ingredients???

I would sure appreciate some duck recipes. Anyone willing to share? My son shot 3 mallards last weekend. We plucked them whole and roasted them...then the wife ordered a pizza...

Marinade

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
For black cherry sauce:

• 1 jar (12 oz.) black cherry preserves
  • 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
  • 1/2 cup beef stock
  • 1 Tbs. hoisin sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbs. snipped fresh chives

I can never find Black cherry so I mix cherry and BlackBerry instead. The sauce makes a lot so you can save a jar and put leftovers in it. It'll keep for a while. Or cut recipe in half

Last edited:

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like it all for the most part. I never had a bad moose steak or whitetail for that matter. I have killed mule deer that meat was so sagey that dogs turned their nose at it. I could live on a steady diet of moose, elk, and whitetail. I have ate black and grizzly bear which I have had good bear and had some that would gagba maggot. I have ate beaver and porcupine which both were real good. I have had mountain lion that was real real good and next one was so so.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like it all for the most part. I never had a bad moose steak or whitetail for that matter. I have killed mule deer that meat was so sagey that dogs turned their nose at it. I could live on a steady diet of moose, elk, and whitetail. I have ate black and grizzly bear which I have had good bear and had some that would gagba maggot. I have ate beaver and porcupine which both were real good. I have had mountain lion that was real real good and next one was so so.

All the beaver I have had tasted a little fishy.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Big game
1.Whitetail
2. Elk
3.Pronghorn
4.Black Bear
I’d really like to get a moose as I’ve heard they are great eating, I’d also like to try mtn lion
Small game
1. Pheasant
2. Dove
3. Turkey
4. Grouse
5. Duck

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's really interesting is how different American's are to Europeans. As I understand it, they want that 'gamey' flavor. That old rutted up bull? That's what they want.

They also like women with hairy legs/armpits and don't bathe nearly as often as we do in the US.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been around the block on this one,agreed moose and elk is great,ducks like grain fed mallards,wood ducks,blue wing teal(whole) are great as is white fronted goose.

my all time fav is Dall sheep back strape/ribs over an open fire in camp after a long day chasing the critter,maybe we were just really hungry but sure was tasty n tender with just some seasoning and herbs picked around camp black bear in the fall full of acorns and berries a close 2nd in my book,beaver,muskrat cooon so so,snapping turtle is very good like everything else perpared correctly.

never liked antelope,maybe the critters we took in nebraska had sage brush for diet,my dog didn't care for it either,pissed on the left overs I put in his bowl

- - - Updated - - -

As far as duck goes some folks love they're gamey taste(divers) not me but in a pinch,cubed wrapped in bacon after some prep/marinade will pass the palate test. otherwise late season plucked whole seasoned placed in pressure cooker comes out meat falling off the bone tender eith stuffed with slices of oranges and apples or notghing at all just some salt n pepper.

That guy

Honored Member
whitetail deer bacon wrapped loins on the smoke and grill is second only to the elusive wifeasaurus.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruffed Grouse is the king of game birds in the kitchen. Meat as white as chicken and a sweetness to it.
Upland game, by my experience in this order: Ruffies, Huns, Pheasant, Sharpies, Doves.
Big game, by my experience in this order: Elk, Deer, Moose, Antelope.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
To each their own but after one year of eating moose, I have to say it is the best. Tastes like grass fed beef. I shot cottontail earlier in the year. It was very, very good. Just make sure that when cleaning cottontail that it doesn't pee on the meat. That gave it a flavor for sure.

emerald

Established Member
1,pheasant breast, jalapeno cream cheese poppers,2,cured, brown sugared, smoked pheasant breast, thighs, and drumsticks jerky,3, speed goat, skun, cooled,backstraps top sirloins,aged in a brown paper bag in frig for a week,then cast iron panfried rare, or browned, simmered in sherry heavy cream,4, browned halfed,huns in heavy cream, never had a ruffed grouse,5, young sharpgrouse, crops full of buffalo berrys, breasts,seared on an, [electric grill] smoked lightly rare,on an alder, maple, cedar, grilling boards, crown, makers mark, rebel yell,soda, cold, extra cold, sota's, dove bacon wraps, 14" eyes, fat perch, crappies, sunnys.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75