Pop-up vs Flip Style

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at an Eskimo 949i or a Clam Refuge Thermal.....anyone have experience to lend? My experience with the Eskimo QuickFish 6 was that it was hard to put back in the bag after teardown. Looking to fish with my 12 and 8 year old boys, with a friend, or alone. Definitely want the thermal for heat and condensation.

Eskimo Fatfish 949i. Clam has historically had a zipper problem with their products. No one I know can say the same about Eskimo. I run a fatfish 949i and can’t say enough good about it.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer the bag problem, they all suck. Mine goes in the bag at the end of the year and comes out at the beginning of the next. Night Ize cable tie or a good old fashion bungee is your friend during the season.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eskimo Fatfish 949i. Clam has historically had a zipper problem with their products. No one I know can say the same about Eskimo. I run a fatfish 949i and can’t say enough good about it.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer the bag problem, they all suck. Mine goes in the bag at the end of the year and comes out at the beginning of the next. Night Ize cable tie or a good old fashion bungee is your friend during the season.

all bags are bad. I don’t even use it, I just grab 3 bungee cords to wrap it

Brasmunky

Established Member
I'm all about eskimo. Mainly because the windows are velcro can be replaced. The bags do suck but definitely not anything that keeps me from owning them exclusively

parttimr

Kentucky Windage I checked out the Night Ize CamJam and it looks promising but so far have had no issues with the stock tethers doing the job but thanks for another option. As far as getting the 949i back into the bag I just use the velcro strap after rolling it up and it fits right back in fairly easily then tighten the three that are sewn to the bag to snug it up.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you want to move -- thats where the flip rules --- they both have strengths and negatives. 18inches of snow coming -- the only fishing that i will be dreaming about - will not be hard water.

Bite your tongue Short...don't be a potty mouth!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had a problem getting the clam I had or the otters back in their bags. My 15 year old gets the otter back in the bag so it can't be that difficult.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a clam 5000 thermal popup. Never had an issue setting up. Just run an anchor in before anything else and no problems after that

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had a problem getting the clam I had or the otters back in their bags. My 15 year old gets the otter back in the bag so it can't be that difficult.

Oh, so now you're telling me a 15 year old can do it better than me??? Really???? Now those are some fighting words. Just kidding, I maybe just need some more practice. Or a few less 21 YO beverages and leave before dark!

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, so now you're telling me a 15 year old can do it better than me??? Really???? Now those are some fighting words. Just kidding, I maybe just need some more practice. Or a few less 21 YO beverages and leave before dark!

So if I have 0 beers and leave in the daylight before the fish bite then you can get the house back in it’s bag? I’ll stick to my flip over.....grin

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kentucky Windage I checked out the Night Ize CamJam and it looks promising but so far have had no issues with the stock tethers doing the job but thanks for another option. As far as getting the 949i back into the bag I just use the velcro strap after rolling it up and it fits right back in fairly easily then tighten the three that are sewn to the bag to snug it up.

I believe you. As I think about it, I’ve never even tried to put the hub back in the bag. I haven’t ever brought it along. I enjoy finding ways to make ice fishing as painless as possible when it comes to setup and takedown. Throwing a tarp strap around the hub after takedown and using the Night Ize CamJam are just a couple things that make the process faster for me. I’m not the most patient person.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a otter hub -- fits back in the bag fine. I have a clam flip up -- never any issues with zippers.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
The otter bags are oversized so they are not a pain in the ass to get back in the bag. I like a flip over if it is more run and gun. I don't tend to set the pop up until I find fish and find myself fishing outside much more. I'll drag the flip over sled behind the ATV or its quick to pull out of the pickup box and get that set up and fishing within minutes. If I'm marking fish, then I'll pull out the heat and settle in a bit more.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I plan on selling my uninsulated Clam Yukon (2-seater). Nothing wrong with it, I'm just at that age where the Grey Wolf or Ice House may be my best option. It seems, with age, the fishing is tied to fair weather more and more, so going out with the portable doesn't bode well. I wonder what price would be fair to see it for?? $350?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am that age - where south florida is looking better and better for fishing and hell with ice fishing ---- specially the month of January foward. I was ice fishing the end of april last year --- that is down right depressing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I plan on selling my uninsulated Clam Yukon (2-seater). Nothing wrong with it, I'm just at that age where the Grey Wolf or Ice House may be my best option. It seems, with age, the fishing is tied to fair weather more and more, so going out with the portable doesn't bode well. I wonder what price would be fair to see it for?? $350?
Depends on what someone will pay. I sold a similar one last year for $250 in the summer. $300 should be obtainable

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think it has a lot to do with dad being a little anal and making him take care of it. Also set up to dry after every use. That boy didn't play ball because it messed with his fishing. I bet he's been out 15 times or more without me. I guess it's a good thing to keep him out of trouble.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have both clam and Eskimo. Eskimo is by far better quality. Clam windows cracked zippers broke and pole snapped all in the first year

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have one of the first Frabil flip overs with the insulated fabric and side entry doors. If you like the flip overs and want maximum fishable area in a medium size house, they are hard to beat. Otter came out with the side entry door this year so those are an option too. It is pretty awesome how much space opens up inside with a vertical front wall. I can fish 2 guys in mine with 4 holes total very comfortably.

It has taken a lot of abuse being towed around lakes and bounced around up on Winnipeg, still going strong without any issues other than a couple small tears in the fabric around the base (my fault).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74