WTF?? How MN is going to deal with CWD this month...wow!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry Fritz, but 65 million or 93 million, it doesn't matter. The point still stands that these people don't even know how CWD is spread, but have declared CWD to be some kind of deer and elk Armageddon. Thanks for the read, but that whole article was about how a bunch of "alphabet soup" supposed wildlife organizations passed some CWD resolutions. No evidence or data of any kind. Just loud talk and hot air. Which is in no way a substitute for scientific study. Show me some evidence!! Don't show me a pile of grand standing fear mongers making declarations about what they think is truth. Question: If this same group all of a sudden declared any pen raised elk or deer meat to be a hazard to human health with the exact same amount of evidence they have on CWD being hazardous, would you jump right up and agree?? Again, NO EVIDENCE presented in any of that article that shows me CWD is even a threat.

Ah yes, the resolutions. So when did you get to vote? You didn't. Neither did I. The elk deer and exotics industries did not write this. The Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies has hired a lobbyist, Jay McAninch from New York, to take the lead on CWD in DC to advance their legislative agenda for CWD research, surveillance and monitoring.

Since 1998, the elk deer and exotics have had our own CWD Herd Certification program. 100% mandatory testing, inventories from cradle to grave, paper on top of paper, several forms of ID, risk assessments, trace backs, trace forwards, even retention of the meat at the butcher shop until the results come back negative. Carcasses had to be kept separate until the results were known. Certainly wouldn't want to sell a consumer a positive.

Our industries are being asked to support this Bill even though we didn't write any of it.

On the flip side concerning wildlife, you may have 20 deer carcasses processed in one day and "what if" a positive is co-mingled in the batch? "What if" some of that is donated to a wildlife feed. "What if" someone eats at a wild game feed and later claims they got Jacobcreutzfeld disease there? "What if" deer hunters stop hunting deer? "What if" deer populations get completely wiped out by disease? "What if" or what will that do to Game and Fish budgets? Now I'm not spoofing anything, but a little fear can spur Congress into action to get some money. And we "do" need money for research. The surveillance and monitoring parts get sketchy.

My best guess:

Baiting will be banned.
Feeding will be banned.
Transporting carcasses interstate, banned.
Transporting carcasses intrastate, banned
Dumping bones or hides on public land, banned.
Dumping bones anywhere other than an approved landfill, banned.
Making sausage at any State licensed custom or custom exempt facilities, banned.
Use of deer lures or scents made from deer urine, banned.
TSC has pallets of deer corn. Can't say deer corn. Banned.

Some of you guys may be asking yourselves, "hey, when do I get to vote?" The wildlife society and the ND wildlife federation presented the Bill to ban baiting a few years ago. They are non-profits so they can do it for the ND Game and Fish who cannot introduce Bills. You guys hammered them. They won't be making that mistake again.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things have really heated up in Minnesota concerning CWD. They have introduced five Bills:

Becker-Finn; Persell; Her; Hansen; Brand; Acomb; Xiong, J.; Lee; Lillie and Noor introduced:

H. F. 229, A bill for an act relating to agriculture; establishing additional fencing requirements for farmed Cervidae; amending Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 35.155, subdivision 4, by adding a subdivision.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/te...session=91&session_number=0&session_year=2019

Double Fencing or two perimeter fences from 8 feet high amended to 10 feet high. Doesn't say who pays for that.

Becker-Finn and Hansen introduced:

H. F. 553, A bill for an act relating to agriculture; natural resources; transferring farmed Cervidae regulatory duties and powers from Board of Animal Health to Department of Natural Resources.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/te...session=91&session_number=0&session_year=2019

The DNR wants control and then whamo.

Hansen; Carlson, L.; Becker-Finn; Wagenius and Claflin introduced:

H. F. 850, A bill for an act relating to natural resources; appropriating money to address wildlife disease.

$1,560,000 towards CWD surveillance.

Becker-Finn, Hansen, Davids, Lee, Persell, Brand, Sundin, Lislegard, Nelson, Wagenius, Claflin, Morrison, Fischer, Her, Tabke, Acomb, Lillie and Lueck introduced:

H. F. 984, A bill for an act relating to natural resources; appropriating money to develop test for chronic wasting disease.

$1,804,000 towards a diagnostics test.

H. F. 305, A bill for an act relating to agriculture; providing a moratorium on possessing white-tailed deer; creating a buyout program; appropriating money; amending Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 35.155, subdivisions 10, 11.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/te...rsion=list&session_number=0&session_year=2019

A total buyout of every farmed elk or deer herd and then dispose of the animals.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you Davey for the thumbs up. I don't get many. Off topic you asked me somewhere about how my Senator feels about the Trespass Bill and it was the same response. It will be amended, it will be an up or down Senate vote. If it gets a yes it will go to the House where more testimony will be heard.

Anyway, a video by the United Sportsmen of Pennsylvania at the Harrisburg Sport Show. They are teaming up with many real sportsmens orgs because they believe they have a scientist who has unlocked the mystery of CWD. They have called upon the Game and Fish agencies to partner with them and to stop shooting or culling deer and elk herds all over America.

I forgot to mention in my above post that in Minnesota the DNR is shooting deer. Do you see that in any of the five Bills above?

The Pennsylvania United Sportsmen are probably a lot like our United Sportsmen of ND. Here is the video roll out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdtFXriMx00

I certainly wish them luck but from sources have heard their scientist, Frank Bastian and his Spiro Bacteria theories have not been able to be replicated by other scientists. Research is research and that is far better then the Game and Fish agencies approach of prevention, surveillance and monitoring. Waste of money.

There was three pages by you NDA guys and now crickets. Don't be afraid to engage.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
One more thumbs up just for good measure. You have always brought credible information and reality into conversations and I appreciate that no matter what the subject. Thanks for the information.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Now this is a conversation - I enjoy it when good conversation with different opinions and view points are brought to the forefront and I can sit back and learn. Thank you all for this avenue of communication. I for one appreciate it.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I said United Sportsmen of Pennsylvania actually it is Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania. And here is what they are saying about the Pennsylvania Game Commission's decision to sharp shoot deer.

http://www.unifiedsportsmenpa.org/pgclistens.htm

WHAT the PGC finally listens to the public?​

Normally they don’t pay attention to anyone, especially the sportsmen, they just do what they want to do and kill as many deer as they can. Read more
Well we guessed wrong
PGC is still scamming the residents of PA. They have postponed the slaughter, for now! The sharp shooters are to be out DMA2 this year but the PGC has already said the hunters will have to have our herd down to under 2,500 in DMA2 or the sharp shooters are coming back next February. USP is totally against any PGC culling program does not use licensed hunters. Hiring Sharp shooters is not the answer and another PGC scam.The game commission is wrong with their CWD response. They are killing too many does and still following antler restrictions which is CWD's best friend. The older buck carries the disease faster and further. Unified Sportsmen is the only group fighting for the hunter. Many other groups are in bed with the PGC. No other organization battles the PGC as the Unified Sportsmen of PA does.

Make sure the private landowners do not allow the USDA sharpshooters on their property. Keep fighting the PGC deer program. It is no good. USP's deer program would be much better. Join the USP in this battle. Never give up.
You can print an application form and join USP's fight at ( https://www.gousp.org/pdf/Application.pdf ) or go on-line at ( https://ismhosting4.com/usp/application.htm ) where you join USP or donated to the USP CWD partnership fund.We need to stop the corruption of the PGC.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Brew,

Louisiana Rep. Ralph Abraham is the sponsor of HR 837 or the House companion Bill to Barrasso's Senate Bill. If they stick with money for research, they are on the right track.

Formally known as HR 837, the bill calls for both the Secretaries of the U.S. Department of the Interior and the U.S. Department of Agriculture “to partner with the National Academies of Science to study and identify the ways CWD is transmitted between wild, captive and farmed cervids (deer, caribou, elk and moose),” according to a statement from Abraham’s office. Its original co-sponsors include Rep. Glenn Thompson, R-Pa., Rep. Marc Veasey, D-Tex., and Rep. Trent Kelly, R-Miss., among others.“These agencies have the scientists for this already, they just need the funding,” he said, explaining monetary resources for the initiative will likely come from the agencies themselves.

The National Academy of Sciences are supposed to be neutral territory. However, the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies are going to be leaning in there hard to get them to listen to their Best Management Practices Resolutions that they just passed. Can't find much about research in their package, just a lot about prevention, surveillance and monitoring.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone is interested in the studies feeding or injecting cwd material to monkeys. There have been many similiar studies with sheep dairy cows etc. Dr. Beth Williams was the lead researcher at government facilities for years where they did nutritional studies on mule deer in Wyoming and Colorado. CWD infected material was sent to many different states to experiment on lab mice and rats. I believe it was 2003 when a Wisconsin Representative made this claim:

State Representative Garey Bies regarding where CWD came from in Wisconsin.:

Also regarding Chronic Wasting Disease, I was quite shocked to learn that the University of Wisconsin-Madison, in 1988 inoculated live animals with CWD. One type of animal that was inoculated was mule deer. And I find it more than a little suspicious that a mule deer, shot by a hunter in the Mt. Horeb area during that time, was immediately confiscated by the Department of Natural Resources. Why were the Department and the University not forthcoming with this bit of information? Could these mule deer, infected with CWD by the University be the source of the disease in our native whitetail population? I requested the Committee to inquire with the University as to the nature of the CWD experiments and what happened to all of the animals infected.

The University of Madison Wisconsin rebuttal:

https://news.wisc.edu/archive/cwd/

[h=2]
h_bies.gif
[/h]
May 30, 2003 In a recent column submitted to news media in his district, State Rep. Garey Bies suggests that the University of Wisconsin-Madison, through its research into prion disease, is possibly responsible for introducing Chronic Wasting Disease into Wisconsin's deer herd. Unfortunately, Rep. Bies was misinformed and his statement is
inaccurate and unsubstantiated.
Since the 1980s, UW-Madison has carried out a number of studies into the basic biology of prion diseases, including CWD. Such studies are necessary to understand the nature of these diseases and to devise treatments and methods to protect humans and animals from such diseases. All of the experiments were conducted under appropriate, safe and secure conditions, and all of the infectious materials and animals used in these studies were accounted for and disposed of through incineration according to the standard practices in place for the disposal of those types of materials. The use of animals in such work is standard practice.
In his column, Rep. Bies implies that mule deer were involved in UW-Madison prion experiments and he raises suspicions that a mule deer shot near Mount Horeb in 1988 may have escaped from a UW-Madison laboratory environment.
That statement does not accurately reflect the research that was conducted, and Rep. Bies' suspicions are unfounded.
In the research, brain tissue samples from a Colorado mule deer infected with CWD were used to inoculate other species to determine if CWD could jump from one species to another. Results of this research showed the difficulty of transmitting CWD to other species. All materials from those experiments were securely contained and disposed of properly. No live mule deer were used in the UW research or imported to Wisconsin by the University.
Rep. Bies implies that the university has not been forthcoming about its work to understand CWD and other prion-related diseases. By its very nature, scientific research is an open and accessible process. The research described above to understand CWD transmission, for example, has been published and is available in the open literature.
DNR officials that the university has worked with on this issue have been equally open about the disease and its effects on the deer herd in Wisconsin.
If we are to come to grips with the scourge of CWD in our state, scientific research and appropriate management are the best tools at the state's disposal. Any unsubstantiated claims that scientists working to unravel the mysteries of CWD are somehow responsible for its introduction to the state only undermine our efforts to rid Wisconsin of this disease.
R. Timothy Mulcahy
associate vice chancellor for research policy/
associate dean, biological sciences​

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep Davey, the sportsmen in Wisconsin were dealing with this 17 years ago or 2002. I can remember George W. Bush giving a State of the Union Address and talked about CWD. $50 million. Have no figures how much went to research or how much got gobbled up by wildlife agencies for prevention, surveillance and monitoring.

KDM absolutely nailed in just one paragraph:

Sorry Fritz, but 65 million or 93 million, it doesn't matter. The point still stands that these people don't even know how CWD is spread, but have declared CWD to be some kind of deer and elk Armageddon.
Thanks for the read, but that whole article was about how a bunch of "alphabet soup" supposed wildlife organizations passed some CWD resolutions.
No evidence or data of any kind. Just loud talk and hot air. Which is in no way a substitute for scientific study. Show me some evidence!! Don't show me a pile of grand standing fear mongers making declarations about what they think is truth.
Question: If this same group all of a sudden declared any pen raised elk or deer meat to be a hazard to human health with the exact same amount of evidence they have on CWD being hazardous, would you jump right up and agree??
Again, NO EVIDENCE presented in any of that article that shows me CWD is even a threat.

That alphabet soup of supposed wildlife agencies are back for more money and while they are at it, more of what they want. Everyone wants a healthy deer herd. Where are all their resolutions for research?

The five Bills now in the Minnesota Legislature give a birds eye view of their wants.

Becker-Finn; Persell; Her; Hansen; Brand; Acomb; Xiong, J.; Lee; Lillie and Noor introduced:

H. F. 229, A bill for an act relating to agriculture; establishing additional fencing requirements for farmed Cervidae; amending Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 35.155, subdivision 4, by adding a subdivision.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/tex...sion_year=2019

H. F. 553, A bill for an act relating to agriculture; natural resources; transferring farmed Cervidae regulatory duties and powers from Board of Animal Health to Department of Natural Resources.

Hansen; Carlson, L.; Becker-Finn; Wagenius and Claflin introduced:

H. F. 850, A bill for an act relating to natural resources; appropriating money to address wildlife disease.

Becker-Finn, Hansen, Davids, Lee, Persell, Brand, Sundin, Lislegard, Nelson, Wagenius, Claflin, Morrison, Fischer, Her, Tabke, Acomb, Lillie and Lueck introduced:

H. F. 984, A bill for an act relating to natural resources; appropriating money to develop test for chronic wasting disease.

H. F. 305, A bill for an act relating to agriculture; providing a moratorium on possessing white-tailed deer; creating a buyout program; appropriating money; amending Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 35.155, subdivisions 10, 11.

Five Bills with one common denominator. Rep. Jamie Becker-Finn is the sponsor or co-sponsor of every one of them. From her website:

https://becker-finn.org/issues/

Jamie is endorsed by:

• Sierra Club – North Star Chapter
  • Conservation Minnesota Voter Center
  • MN350 Action (climate justice organization)
In her first term in office, Jamie earned the Trailblazer Award from the Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy, a 2017 Legislative Award from Sierra Club North Star Chapter, and the 2018 Legislator of the Year Award from the Bluffland Whitetails Association. Jamie is also a member of
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
and the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association.

Federal and State agencies cannot write Bills into a State House but can have their surrogate non-profit non-governmental orgs carry it for them. Is there anyone who does not understand what the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is?

I see Backcountry Hunters and Anglers North Dakota has their website up:

The Board:

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/north_dakota_chapter_board

[SUB][/SUB]

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, good catch, they are not from North Dakota. Notice Dave Brandt. They don't mention that he is employed with the Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center (USGS) in Jamestown. Was a moderator on nodakouthouse. Was the 2008 president of the North Dakota wildlife federation. Was a sponsor of the fair chase folly where he met Land Tawney. Was a sponsor of the 5% oil revenue rip off.

The National Wildlife federation created the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers putting Land Tawney at the helm who brings aboard old buddy Dave Brandt. During the fair chase folly, sponsor Dave Brandt used to say, Let's keep this in front of the public. Remember the pages and pages, fair chase er..no it's about disease er, no it's about ethics er..no it's about....

It was never about any of that. The game and fish departments around the United States used to do the inventories for all kinds of species. They pushed it away 30 years ago to the Board of Animal Health which is agriculture. Joint jurisdiction. Two classifications came about in Century Codes. Non-traditional livestock. Ratites, reptiles, eyexers mink, fox, pheasant, elk, geese, deer, and the list is long.

Two classifications...in the Game and Fish section 20, elk, deer moose are "Big Game Specie" in the Livestock section 36, they are "Farmed Elk" Wildlife agencies have since had a change of mind. They want them back under their bailiwick. After 30 years of things happening this way, changing it is a bit of a reach by the wildlife agencies especially considering that they are not interested in taking over the duties of the rest of the NTL's only singling out deer and elk industries away from the rest of the herd. Think wolves.

Federal and State wildlife agencies cannot and should not be allowed to introduce Bills. That is why they have their surrogate NGO's do it for them.

Minnesota is going through the same thing we did 8 years ago. Above, there are five Bills. (keep it in front of the public) I believe many of these Bills are huff fluff and puff but the real target is:

H. F. 553,
A bill for an act relating to agriculture; natural resources; transferring farmed Cervidae regulatory duties and powers from Board of Animal Health to Department of Natural Resources.

Is there anyone who does not have this figured out yet?

CWD is real. That said, there is an old adage that can be applied here. Never let a crisis go to waste. Placing the deer and elk producers underneath a single jurisdiction or the Department of Natural Resources in Minnesota is the equivalent of placing coal mines under an over zealous unregulated EPA. What was it Obama said about regulating coal mines out of business?

And Land Tawney started Montana Sportsmen for Obama. Can you believe it, they still have the website up?

https://my.ofa.us/page/content/mtsportsmen

Wouldn't it be nice if all these community organizers had to find real employment?

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went back and watched the Jay Gregory clip originally posted by 5575. Jay has a lot of the right questions. In Pennsylvania they are asking the same questions.

https://www.facebook.com/jay.gregory.5/posts/2117305554999365

The answer, CWD has been present for a much longer period of time in South Dakota and they don't have their hair on fire like Minnesota. Wind Cave is a National Park. No guns. CWD is prevalent. They had too many elk on the landscape. Instead of harvesting like we did in Theodore Roosevelt, the National Park Service opened the wire and used helicopters to chase excess elk into Custer State Park. How can there be an excess if they are all supposed to be dying??? Sportsmen were given tags into Custer to shoot them.

Think about that. Spooked by helicopters and then shot at.... many survivor's (from a known CWD source herd) ran for their lives in every conceivable direction. South Dakota used to do a lot of antemortem testing of harvested cervids.

Over the years they have dropped way down on testing. Here are the numbers.

https://gfp.sd.gov/cwd-testing/

[h=2]Latest CWD testing results[/h]
In the South Dakota CWD Surveillance period of July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018, a total of 746 samples have been collected for CWD surveillance.Breakdown of the sampling is as follows:
  • 459 elk sampled-- 434 results returned as Not Positive--(25 POSITIVE ELK FOUND)
  • 15 mule deer sampled-- 15 results returned as Not Positive--(0 POSITIVE MD FOUND)
  • 272 white-tailed deer-- 260 results returned as Not Positive--(12 POSITIVE WT FOUND)
They tested a grand total of 15 mule deer in all of South Dakota.

Glen Sargent from our own Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center in Jamestown worked with those elk in South Dakota. They captured some and put tracking collars on them. So how many died from CWD? How many were chased out of Wind Cave? How many were shot by hunters? How many outside of Wind Cave survived the shoot?

Glen Sargent works with Dave Brandt at USGS in Jamestown. Dave is now on the board of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers who are prompting Rep. Jamie Becker-Finn to push the 5 Bills in the Minnesota Legislature.

In the original clip starting this thread, Jay Gregory keeps asking, How many dead ones have they found from CWD? So what happened at Wind Cave? Where are the numbers? Crickets...……..

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thought, if concerned sportsmen like Jay Gregory in Minnesota or the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania want answers like how many dead ones have been found, they'll have to file a Freedom of Information Act with the DNR. (Damn near Russia)

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scientists unearth soil property that combats chronic wasting disease

Research: News Roundup from the February 2019 issue of Canadian Cattlemen

By Staff

Published: February 25, 2019
News, News Roundup Be the first to comment
University of Alberta scientists have found that naturally occurring soil compounds can reduce chronic wasting disease in the environment.
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is within the same family as BSE and is fatal to mule and white-tail deer, moose, caribou and elk. Infected animals can contaminate soil through urine, feces and saliva. Decaying carcasses also infect soil. As healthy animals come into contact with the soil, they too can become infected.
But while studying soil components, researchers discovered that humic acids, created by decaying plant material, can help eliminate CWD.
RELATED ARTICLES

“Anything that reduces CWD infectivity is significant,” said Judd Aiken, senior author of the study, in a release. “Previous studies have shown that certain soil minerals can enhance infectivity, leaving the environment infectious for longer. These findings identify a different, organic component of soil with the opposite effect, reducing infectivity.”
The research team, which also included Debbie McKenzie, Alsu Kuznetsova and Catherine Cullingham, exposed mice to material that incorporated prions from infected elk or white-tailed deer. Some of that material also included humic acids at varying levels. All of the humic acids were at concentrations that would be naturally found in the soil. Other mice were exposed to a control material that didn’t include prions or humic acids. Researchers found a clear decline in chronic wasting disease infections when the material included higher concentrations of humic acids.
In an email, Aiken said that so far they haven’t looked at how humic acids affect BSE prions, but it’s worth doing.
“I don’t, however, anticipate BSE prions to behave differently. We have examined CWD prions (deer), CWD prions (elk) and hamster-adapted TME. Humic acid affects all three similarly,” he added.

University of Alberta researchers have found that humic acids from decaying plant material can help eliminate CWD. Photo: iStock/Getty Images
University of Alberta scientists have found that naturally occurring soil compounds can reduce chronic wasting disease in the environment.
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is within the same family as BSE and is fatal to mule and white-tail deer, moose, caribou and elk. Infected animals can contaminate soil through urine, feces and saliva. Decaying carcasses also infect soil. As healthy animals come into contact with the soil, they too can become infected.
But while studying soil components, researchers discovered that humic acids, created by decaying plant material, can help eliminate CWD.
RELATED ARTICLES

Recent bovine TB strain new to Canada

An animal health tale about us

Making headway on prion diseases

“Anything that reduces CWD infectivity is significant,” said Judd Aiken, senior author of the study, in a release. “Previous studies have shown that certain soil minerals can enhance infectivity, leaving the environment infectious for longer. These findings identify a different, organic component of soil with the opposite effect, reducing infectivity.”
The research team, which also included Debbie McKenzie, Alsu Kuznetsova and Catherine Cullingham, exposed mice to material that incorporated prions from infected elk or white-tailed deer. Some of that material also included humic acids at varying levels. All of the humic acids were at concentrations that would be naturally found in the soil. Other mice were exposed to a control material that didn’t include prions or humic acids. Researchers found a clear decline in chronic wasting disease infections when the material included higher concentrations of humic acids.
In an email, Aiken said that so far they haven’t looked at how humic acids affect BSE prions, but it’s worth doing.
“I don’t, however, anticipate BSE prions to behave differently. We have examined CWD prions (deer), CWD prions (elk) and hamster-adapted TME. Humic acid affects all three similarly,” he added.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/20...0LxTUipeX3HpcrcJhW5oBHtlIKjyOuxZCEN8pyCyTgt5k

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]The Truth About Zombie Deer & A CWD Cure[/h]
Lynn Burkhead - February 22, 2019
NAW-horizontal-CWD-option-Large.jpg
(NAW staff photo by Ron Sinfelt)
Unless you’ve been out of the country or sleeping under a rock over the last few days, you’ve probably seen the headlines.

ADVERTISING

"Zombie deer" — a term that some sensational headline writers have created for the deadly deer malady known as Chronic Wasting Disease, or CWD.With all the national talk suddenly making the news cycle rounds — for a disease that has actually been around for a few decades now — there’s certainly no shortage of opinions about the disease, it’s risk to hunters and what to do about it.In fact, there seems to be little middle ground with the various camps out there being deeply divided over the disease itself and what the future of deer hunting is.What should hunters make about all this sudden talk concerning zombie deer? We turned to Dr. Deer — NAW’s Dr. James C. Kroll — for his take.
North American Whitetail: What is your take on the “zombie deer” stories that are suddenly being found all over in news headlines?Dr. James Kroll: It is no more proper to refer to CWD as “zombie deer disease,” than it was to call it “mad deer disease” back in 2002! As far as I am concerned, the term is sensationalism at its worst, probably for headlines. The term “zombie” is defined as “a corpse said to be revived by witchcraft, especially in certain African and Caribbean religions.” This hardly fits the symptoms of deer in the clinical stages of the disease.NAW: It’s been reported in recent days that LSU researcher Dr. Frank Bastian indicates that CWD may not be about prions, but instead a bacterium. And news reports also indicate that he may have found a cure for CWD. What’s your opinion on all of this?

DJK: Bastian has been promoting this theory for 20 years! As my friend Dr. Don Davis points out, prion researchers worldwide for the same 20 years have unanimously rejected his theories. However, IF he is correct, and as it was reported that a vaccine and cure could be in reach in the next two years, it is grossly naïve to make such a claim. In order to register a vaccine and put it into use, the following has to happen:
  1. Experimental data on vaccine safety and immunology efficacy has to be completed. (That takes years.)
  2. Complete an application for a Conditional License.
  3. Protection efficacy experiments have to be completed, taking several more years.
  4. Submitted for a Complete License, which applies to just that one host species.
The fact they assert that this would be a cure, again is naïve, in that vaccines do not cure anything and never have! First of all, CWD erodes holes in the brainstem, and brain tissue cannot regenerate itself!They imply that it will be a protective vaccine, again very naïve! There never has been a vaccine that protects 100 percent of individuals in the population. If it were developed, it would be useful to the deer farming industry, but would not be feasible for wild deer. As we have vividly learned for other wildlife vaccines, delivery is the major problem. It has to be species specific and have no effect on other species; and, be picked up by all individuals in the population. Even the much-touted oral rabies vaccines are not 100 percent effective. As much as I would love for it to be true, it is never going to happen!The major impact of all this is, it gives false hopes to the entire deer and hunting industry.NAW: In your estimation, where do we stand with CWD right now?DJK: We still do not even know by what mechanism prions are distorted and the exact causal factors or agents producing the disease. Agencies have locked themselves into a perpetual testing loop that has no impact on the spread or control of the disease. There is no mechanism developed to date that has been proven to control the spread of the disease. Research has been obsessively focused on “Frankenstein” experiments, in which infected material is injected into animals in a manner that does not occur in nature. The bottom line is that CWD appears to be spreading, but we cannot say that in true honesty, since testing is spreading; no one or agency has come up with a way to prevent the spread or eliminate the disease; and, massive killing of deer has no effect, since it is a frequency (not density) dependent disease. There are two basic questions that, if answered affirmatively, would cause genuine concern. First. does CWD have the potential to decimate deer populations? Second, can humans contract CWD? The answer to date is negative to both. Yes, there have been two studies in Wyoming that seem to show a population effect, but both are troubled by confounding factors such as high mortality to EHD, mountain lion predation, competition with elk, and habitat changes due to grazing practices. In regard to human susceptibility, there are several peer-reviewed, published papers showing this is highly unlikely. Some folks point to a study in Canada on macaque monkeys, but it was never published nor substantiated by duplicate science.”NAW: Anything else that you’d like to add?DJK: Yes, it has been asserted many times that CWD has the potential to destroy deer populations and deer hunting as we have known it! The sensationalist reaction by professional biologists and the media has managed to accomplish the latter! When CWD showed up in Wisconsin, three tabloids published articles saying that three men had died from eating venison tainted with CWD. That proved to not only be untrue, but patently false! That alone caused a 12 percent decline in deer hunters in Wisconsin, and they have never returned. It now is affecting deer hunting and harvest, with a decline of as much as 15 percent – all because of panic by agencies and biologists. If I wanted to destroy hunting in America, of which about 80 percent is deer hunting, I would convince hunters and the general public that one of the most healthy food items produced naturally in the deer woods was unwholesome and deadly! THAT would mean the end to deer hunting as we have known it; and it is my deep opinion that the whitetail deer will still be with us! And, the wholesale destruction of habitat caused by over-population would indeed lead to declines in deer numbers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66