trailer theft prevention

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like theft is rampant. I am going to get a GPS tracker. Anybody recommend one?

Anything else you can recommend?

(20’ car hauler)

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make locks that are pretty much tamper proof. Crooks know about gps trackers and dispose so em

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A contractor friend of mine does these things when he leaves the job site to secure his trailers. Assuming 2 5/16ths ball on your trailer, take an old rusty 2/ 5/16ths ball, cut the threads off, and lock it into the socket when you leave. Depending on rim design, cable lock two rims together. Cheap and he's never had a trailer taken. Had a few folks try, but not succeed. Good Luck!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A contractor friend of mine does these things when he leaves the job site to secure his trailers. Assuming 2 5/16ths ball on your trailer, take an old rusty 2/ 5/16ths ball, cut the threads off, and lock it into the socket when you leave. Depending on rim design, cable lock two rims together. Cheap and he's never had a trailer taken. Had a few folks try, but not succeed. Good Luck!!

I've heard lots of stories of thieves using chains to drag the trailer to a place they can deal with things. No stopping determined thieves I guess.

Are cables hard to cut with bolt-cutters or battery sawsall?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

this one is highly regarded on AirStream forums

- - - Updated - - -

I'd not want to "re-do" all the mods I do to what's inside.

Plus I'm not sure insurance would cover the vintage bungee strap collection it took me three decades to amass.

If they don't take the trailer they will just break into it and still your vintage strap collection

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised nobody's developed a removable coupler. Too much liability I suppose.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
At motels it should be locked to your pickup the entire time, for the most part. Otherwise lock a hitch lock to it. 99% of theft is that of opportunity. A locked trailer will likely never be messed with. Also don’t put a bunch of stickers advertising your gear on it, a plain trailer makes the trailer seem like it’s probably empty. I get a kick out of the Harley guys advertising the trailer is full of $$$$ Harley stuff/bikes. Big old steal me sticker right there.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
When its on your truck and you are leaving it places like for ice fishing, make sure you have locking pins for both the coupler and receiver hitch. I kind of chuckle at how often i will see a locking pin on the coupler, but not the receiver hitch. Thieves will just pull out your hitch from your truck and slide it right into theirs...off they go!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chain through the wheels, padlock on hitch, and when hooked to the truck I padlock the safety chains tight so they can't be undone. If they want it, they will get it. Have heard stories of them taking grinders and just cutting holes in the sides. Thieves suck!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
speaking of receiver locks.... mine corroded up - pisses me off - had to saw it off

which was easy with a battery powered sawzall - that pisses me off too

anybody had a brand of receiver lock that has stood the test of time?

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been putting these in boats and construction trailers in the last year with good success.
www.premieraudio.biz

https://www.directed.com/news/directed-releases-viper-powersports-alarm

viper-powersports-alarm.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
At motels it should be locked to your pickup the entire time, for the most part. Otherwise lock a hitch lock to it. 99% of theft is that of opportunity. A locked trailer will likely never be messed with. Also don’t put a bunch of stickers advertising your gear on it, a plain trailer makes the trailer seem like it’s probably empty. I get a kick out of the Harley guys advertising the trailer is full of $$$$ Harley stuff/bikes. Big old steal me sticker right there.

What would be a good anti-theft sticker?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slap one of these stickers on your trailer guy. Can't hurt. lol
[FONT=&quot]
a97289_g185_15-bumper.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Most honest bumper sticker ever!
[/FONT]

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard lots of stories of thieves using chains to drag the trailer to a place they can deal with things. No stopping determined thieves I guess.

Are cables hard to cut with bolt-cutters or battery sawsall?

He uses really thick cable that most hand operated cable cutters/bolt cutters can't get their jaws around and he uses one of those locks where the steel arm is protected by the housing of the lock. He then puts the lock under the trailer, behind the wheels so you have to get under there to get at the lock. It's a giant PITA to deal with, but he leaves it for weeks at a time so it's worth it to him.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76