trailer lights

toddy

Has anyone found that replacing their boat trailer lights with LED lights causes problems? Changed mine out and am really struggling. Sometimes works sometimes does not. Checked all the grounds and thats not the problem. Someone said there is electronics in the pickup that may have a problem with the low voltage LED lights. Anybody ever heard of that?

Last edited:

MULEDEER

Established Member
You most likely have a broken or partially broken wire somewhere. If you just changed the lights and not all the wire in the trailer itself that is likely the problem. Personally I would run ALL new wire and shrink wrap all connections

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this problem on a small boat trailer a few years ago. It turned out to be my adapter for the trailer to the truck.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing pisses me off more than trailer lights. They never friggen work. And if they do...wait a year.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is nothing in this world that frustrates me more than trailer lights!

- - - Updated - - -

and small gas engines

- - - Updated - - -

and my kids

- - - Updated - - -

wife too I suppose

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Replaced lights on a small pop-up camper, with LED lights. Works great.

However, the snarl of wires at the front of this old camper, is impenetrable. I keep a wide berth around them. The mysteries of the cosmos, I tell you. I thought I'd figure it all out last summer, and everything works as long as I stand on one leg and recite the koran backwards. Otherwise, the fridge works, but not the left taillight. Or vice versa. My mind is glossing it over.

bronco

Our crew rehabs all our trailers each winter. I know at times the add a resistor in the wiring loop when changing to LED. I'm guessing NAPA are another good auto parts store could tell you if you need one

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Replaced lights on a small pop-up camper, with LED lights. Works great.

However, the snarl of wires at the front of this old camper, is impenetrable. I keep a wide berth around them. The mysteries of the cosmos, I tell you. I thought I'd figure it all out last summer, and everything works as long as I stand on one leg and recite the koran backwards. Otherwise, the fridge works, but not the left taillight. Or vice versa. My mind is glossing it over.

I have the same problem. I tow with two differant trucks. The fishhouse works great with one and the blinkers wont work on the other. I will hook on to another trailer and everything will work great. ( same truck where the blinkers dont work ). Switch over to the other truck and brake lights dont work.

I dont know what worse a dog that wont listen or trailer lights that dont work the same on both trucks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
amen, trailer lights are the devil

I replaced with LED and they work fine.

Found a corroded light in the process that had been haunting me, blowing fuses in RAM, etc.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start with the adapter. Either bend the pins to contact better or buy new. If not there, it is time for new wires to the new lights.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think there should be a monetary ticket for first time trailer light infractions, just a warning! I am NOT talking NO lights..i am talking, one blinker not working..one tail light not working ..that kind of stuff. One get out of jail free card from the LEO...too damn many issues with lites!! THen...if you get pulled over a 2nd time and LEO has you in the system with a warning the first time...THEN ticket. Freaking wires/lights/connections/adaptors/etc..We can put a man on the moon but getting the PIA trailer lites to CONSISTENTLY be trouble free is darn near impossible. Rant over.;:;rant

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
amen, trailer lights are the devil

I replaced with LED and they work fine.

Found a corroded light in the process that had been haunting me, blowing fuses in RAM, etc.

I replaced the lights with LED. New lights and wiring and a yr later and problems and I dont use them enough to worry about them anymore.

Im sorry officer they were working when I let the yard.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a "dim" LED light on my pontoon trailer last summer. I thought the LED itself was bad, nope...bare wire due to mice chewing on it up in the trailer frame. Fixed that and the damn thing was still not working right, pulled out some more wire and found a spot that the insulation had worn off due to rubbing/vibrating against the rusty inner surface of trailer frame. Fixed that and everything was golden.

The rubbed wire had gotten down to just a couple strands and it was suffering from low voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I too hate wiring issues. That is the devil's playground!

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Farm equipment gets by without working taillights just slap on a slow moving vehicle sign. Haha

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad trailer lights can create a dui situation. Drink 3 beers, load the boat, head back to the cabin 1/3 mile away and get pegged for a trailer light, blow a .075 (3-5 beers) and boom that effn bad light ruins your life.

- - - Updated - - -

Always make your wife drive, or fix your lights.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should always have the wires in conduit or plastic wire looms. Saves alot of hassles too. Damn mice will chew on anything it seems.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad trailer lights can create a dui situation. Drink 3 beers, load the boat, head back to the cabin 1/3 mile away and get pegged for a trailer light, blow a .075 (3-5 beers) and boom that effn bad light ruins your life.

- - - Updated - - -

Always make your wife drive, or fix your lights.

This, is why I used to be such a fiend about my taillights. Never worried about getting into an accident, but hated the idea of getting pulled over for something stupid.

Not a factor anymore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76