So are we going to set the record?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sakakawea Officially Ice-Covered

Riverdale, ND - North Dakota's "big lake" is officially ice-covered.
The Corps of Engineers reports Lake Sakakawea was fully covered in ice as of Saturday.
The January 12th "iced-over" date is far from a record.
The latest the lake was declared ice-covered was January 26th in 1955 - the second year of the reservoir's existence.
Typically, ice covers Lake Sakakawea for close to 100 days each winter.
The shortest duration of ice cover on the big lake was 2012 when it was iced-over for just 69 days.
Last winter, the ice lasted 133 days, well short of the record of 165 days in 1955-56.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious on the record date they list there since that's markedly different than everything else that's ever been posted on it. Anything I've seen on it and articles list January 18th 2012 is the current record for latest ice up.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy crap, if I read that correctly...the latest the ice has ever come off of Sak is around the 2nd week of June!

Man would I be pissed!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy crap, if I read that correctly...the latest the ice has ever come off of Sak is around the 2nd week of June!

Man would I be pissed!
`
why? May ice fishing must be glorious - if you can get on. Wilcrafts would go for top dollar. Ha ha.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked the core last year for the data -- they do keep records of lots of things, one just needs to ask -- of the freeze up and ice off dates. They look spot on for the article. I had posted this somewhere else here on another thread too. I believe the ice went off last spring May 9th or 12th...I cannot remember for sure. Do the math it comes up the 8th of May. I thought it was the 9th. Jeff
Untitled.png

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the lake level to cause a freeze up on November 23rd? Or was it just that flipping cold to beat the the next closest at Dec 6th.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77