SB 2183- Ease Sucker Importing Restrictions

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally, I'd like to see one be able to use suckers again on the Missouri River system. It's not like they aren't already in there.

I wanna be able to use casting nets to catch gizzard shad and smelt for live bait!

Last edited:

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesnt scheels and home of economy sell suckers anymore?

Yes but demand far exceeds their ability to supply. We have one trapper in ND who does his best and one in MN who has never produced a sucker to the Grand Forks area. (Fargo maybe)

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it's time to get your own dealer license I used to haul bait to grand forks for Frederick bait when I lived in devils lake but he's getting older now maybe he quit getting suckers from Minnesota. Maybe he's just trapping minnows for the devils lake area. I know of two licensed dealers from eastern north Dakota. Yes I had a helpers card

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it's time to get your own dealer license I used to haul bait to grand forks for Frederick bait when I lived in devils lake but he's getting older now maybe he quit getting suckers from Minnesota. Maybe he's just trapping minnows for the devils lake area. I know of two licensed dealers from eastern north Dakota. Yes I had a helpers card

I have a vendor license but it does me not good to bring suckers from MN. I tried the trapping thing last year but just did not have the time to make it work.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can possess suckers in the counties bordering the red and can buy suckers in MN and enter the red from that side, why not be able to bring suckers across the bridges as long as you remain in the counties bordering the red. seems bizarre to me.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you can possess suckers in the counties bordering the red and can buy suckers in mn and enter the red from that side, why not be able to bring suckers across the bridges as long as you remain in the counties bordering the red. Seems bizarre to me.

exactly!

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I have a vendor license but it does me not good to bring suckers from MN. I tried the trapping thing last year but just did not have the time to make it work.

By the way, for those of you that are interested, read the wording in SB 2138. The bill states that wholesalers or vendors can import white suckers into ND if the bill passes, but it says nothing about the anglers taking them across the border themselves. You still couldn't go buy live suckers at a MN bait dealer and legally take them across the river.
Is that just a coincidence?
I don't think so.
Who exactly would this bill benefit?

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the way, for those of you that are interested, read the wording in SB 2138. The bill states that wholesalers or vendors can import white suckers into ND if the bill passes, but it says nothing about the anglers taking them across the border themselves. You still couldn't go buy live suckers at a MN bait dealer and legally take them across the river.
Is that just a coincidence?
I don't think so.
Who exactly would this bill benefit?

Mr. Reddeviloutdoorsman, I know who you are and I know you take anything I do personally and now you are attacking me specifically. When I sat with the sponsoring legislator I flat out said that it was my wishes for any angler to buy suckers and be able to bring them over the border. I was advised that it would be best to limit it to the actual bait vendors. For the record I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SELL BAIT! I am doing to ease the supply issues on the catfishing community. I am doing it so I can keep my guide service supplied but also to ease the constant burden on Home of Economy and allow Scheels to finally get some suckers into their stores again. I am doing this so the people who fish league can find bait more easily on Wednesdays so people who visit our find communities to catch these catfish can find bait and enjoy the river. I know you want to pin this on me and my "personal gain" and yes there would be gain in terms of time saved but I will repeat. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SELL BAIT!

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I never implied that you want to sell bait but you are trying to get support for this bill just to benefit your guide service with little regard for NDGF's attempt at trying to stop or at least delay the spread of ANS to a lake such as Devils Lake. NO aquatic bait across state lines means just that whether it be fatheads or suckers and I hope it stays that way.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils lake is in the same county as the red river? Odd i don’t know much geography in nodak but I thought they were a ways apart

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have a damn tank in my garage or basement loaded with suckers if I used them on a near daily basis.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr. Reddeviloutdoorsman, I know who you are and I know you take anything I do personally and now you are attacking me specifically. When I sat with the sponsoring legislator I flat out said that it was my wishes for any angler to buy suckers and be able to bring them over the border. I was advised that it would be best to limit it to the actual bait vendors. For the record I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SELL BAIT! I am doing to ease the supply issues on the catfishing community. I am doing it so I can keep my guide service supplied but also to ease the constant burden on Home of Economy and allow Scheels to finally get some suckers into their stores again. I am doing this so the people who fish league can find bait more easily on Wednesdays so people who visit our find communities to catch these catfish can find bait and enjoy the river. I know you want to pin this on me and my "personal gain" and yes there would be gain in terms of time saved but I will repeat. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SELL BAIT!

Sorry this vote didn’t go your way Captain. I’m not saying I was in favor of the bill but I see where this would benefit you in terms of burden. I also have no issue with you looking out for Number 1.

Best of luck good sir!

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
While the bill failed it appears to have done its job which was to point out the supply issues we have with suckers. Nobody seemed to want to discuss the issue until this bill and a trip to Bismarck to force into the public eye. Now that the ball is rolling behind the scenes maybe we can get this solved.

and eyexer, I have a commercial tank that can store about a 10 day supply.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
While the bill failed it appears to have done its job which was to point out the supply issues we have with suckers. Nobody seemed to want to discuss the issue until this bill and a trip to Bismarck to force into the public eye. Now that the ball is rolling behind the scenes maybe we can get this solved.

and eyexer, I have a commercial tank that can store about a 10 day supply.
how big is it

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not that easy. First off we don't need a MN license to launch on the MN side. What we don't have is MN access in the right areas to pull that off. There is only one access north of the GF dam on the ND side. There are no MN accesses in the Drayton or Pembina areas.

This is only about bringing bait over a bridge.
there is a boat ramp at jolliette nd on the mn side most of the time it is muddy and a boat ramp straight west of humbolt mn. both are between Pembina and drayton.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60