Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 175
      Given: 146
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
      One reason I believe there have been few, if any incidents at night, is that quality night vision and thermals are far better at allowing the hunter to see and identify his target and beyond. I have first hand experience with these methods and I don't believe my concerns are irrational. This bill will likely pass and only time will tell how it will play out.
      BUT, night vision and thermals have only been legal for the past couple of years. Prior to that it was no light, thermals, or night vision for many years and I don't know of a single incident that occurred during that time frame.

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #22
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 183
      Given: 191
      Quote Originally Posted by labhunter66 View Post
      BUT, night vision and thermals have only been legal for the past couple of years. Prior to that it was no light, thermals, or night vision for many years and I don't know of a single incident that occurred during that time frame.
      You are correct and I agree with you. I also am not aware of an accident related to night hunting predators.

However, I don't recall seeing any other predator hunters out and about at night while I was hunting without lights. I know I wasn't the only one doing it, but I don't think there were near as many out then as there are now. As the number of hunters increases, the likelihood for accidents also increases. We can help curb some potential accidents by limiting hunting practices that aren't among the safest available.

The only times I hunted at night without the use of lights was under a bright moonlit sky with snow on the ground...light conditions that are often better than first and last legal shooting hours for big game. Visibility at night with a half full (or more) moon and snow on the ground, even without artificial light, is better than with a 6v red light with no moon and/or snow. As such, I don't believe colored lights are a safe alternative to hunting under a full moon or using night vision or thermal.

I have formed these opinions based on substantial first hand experience night hunting predators with and without the use of artificial light. I stand by those opinions and I will respectfully agree to disagree and wait to see what happens if this bill is enacted into law.

0 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #23
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 947
      Given: 203
      Classifieds
      For those of you who are opposed to using lights for saftey sake, when was the last time you had a chance to get out with one of these new illuminators? Some of these new lights are the size of a pocket flash light, run on an 18650 battery @ 3.7v and will reach out a long ways. Hell there are even IR Illuminators that will reach out past 1000 yards....

One of the reasons for pushing to legalize red/green/amber lights as well as IR is safety. Not just while shooting, but while walking in to a spot to hunt.... Being able to see where your stepping will make night hunting safer.. Technically, the way the Century Code is written, it is illegal to use a headlamp to light the way in to a calling spot... Is a warden gonna write someone up on it? who knows.... But they could...

2 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #24
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 20
      Given: 46
      Classifieds
      Just an update. HB1412 passed and was signed by the governor. Digital night vision with the help of infrared light will be legal to use this fall

3 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12