Non-resident deer tags

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The state gave out 4,000+ RIFLE tags last year that probably had an 80%+ success rate and you're worried about 600 archery tags? Not to mention all the resident archery tags. ND is very stingy with their NR tag allocations. Most other states are 10% with some higher. I don't understand the hate on NRs.

Exactly. The number is so negligible that the conversation is almost as productive as talking to a wall. I would like to see a more stringent reporting requirement so they knew where people were hunting, what's the success rate, and how many have even stepping out in the field. Those requirements would have to be across the board (including residents) and the day after a proposal like that we would have a 25 page thread on how it's "none of their (NDFG) business where i hunt and they just want to waste my money and justify their position." For this reason, nothing will change. The sun will rise is the east and everyone will just complain about money-hungry departments.

I think what people are really pissed about is they have convinced themselves that every single tag is guys going out and chasing the precious ND mulies. I would venture to guess a good number of these tags go to guys like me that purchase a tag just in case i got a couple days to stand hunt on the farm while home for the holidays. I've bought a tag for 3 years now and my brother in law has bought one for 7. That's 10 tags and we have hunted a total of 3 days and taken one small buck. Keep the $2,500 donation; someone needs to step up and pay for this shit.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state gave out 4,000+ RIFLE tags last year that probably had an 80%+ success rate and you're worried about 600 archery tags? Not to mention all the resident archery tags. ND is very stingy with their NR tag allocations. Most other states are 10% with some higher. I don't understand the hate on NRs.
but archery success rate is probably close to that

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. The number is so negligible that the conversation is almost as productive as talking to a wall. I would like to see a more stringent reporting requirement so they knew where people were hunting, what's the success rate, and how many have even stepping out in the field. Those requirements would have to be across the board (including residents) and the day after a proposal like that we would have a 25 page thread on how it's "none of their (NDFG) business where i hunt and they just want to waste my money and justify their position." For this reason, nothing will change. The sun will rise is the east and everyone will just complain about money-hungry departments.

I think what people are really pissed about is they have convinced themselves that every single tag is guys going out and chasing the precious ND mulies. I would venture to guess a good number of these tags go to guys like me that purchase a tag just in case i got a couple days to stand hunt on the farm while home for the holidays. I've bought a tag for 3 years now and my brother in law has bought one for 7. That's 10 tags and we have hunted a total of 3 days and taken one small buck. Keep the $2,500 donation; someone needs to step up and pay for this shit.
totally agree with the reporting. No way in hell with today’s current technology should we not have to be reporting kills. And given the current fear of cwd we should have to submit samples.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baiting should be illegal . And in time , with cwd looming , I think it will be statewide

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know Uncle Jimbo,

It has to be tough for the ND Game and Fish selling opportunity to each one and every one of us in a democratic way.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is how North Dakota Fam Bureau feels about it:

We oppose limiting the number of out-of-state hunters and/or trappers or any difference in season limitations between resident and non- resident hunters.---ID#: 2040/16

https://ndfb.org/image/cache/2018_Policy_Book_3.pdf

This is the first time I read the Farm Bureau Beliefs and am quite surprised at what it contains

The farm bureau wants to have all land posted, unlimited out of state hunters, pay hunting, transferable depredation tags ( pay hunting ) and then want G&F to be responsible for depredation which most likely would be caused by lack of hunting pressure.

We support North Dakota property owners' rights to continue to control all types of hunting, including high-fence hunting, on their property. Property owners or lessees shall decide who hunts their land, and if they prefer, to charge a fee to the hunter for that privilege. We further believe that hunting and recreational rights are land uses, not property title, and therefore, cannot be severed from the surface title of the land.---ID#: 159/17

Control
[FONT=LHVUCC+TimesNewRoman,LHVUCC+TimesNewRoman][FONT=LHVUCC+TimesNewRoman,LHVUCC+TimesNewRoman]We believe farmers should be allowed to take the necessary steps, including elimination, to keep wildlife from destroying tangible property. Steps should include allowing transferable depredation tags for antlerless deer be made available to landowners in addition to regular hunting season licenses.---ID#: 1267/18In the event that a producer is found to have destructive wildlife on their property, the North Dakota Game and Fish Department shall be required to make every effort to disperse the wildlife by any means necessary.---ID#: 1654/18We ask the state Game and Fish Department and USDA Wildlife Services Division to provide adequate funding for the predator control division of the Wildlife Services Department for the control of coyotes, beavers, wolves, mountain lions, and other problem animals and birds is a must for ranchers, farmers and others.---ID#: 2211/18We support creating legislation that would require the North Dakota Game and Fish Department and/or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to pay agricultural producers for wildlife depredation of livestock, crops and stored feed. The producer should be paid for losses at market price or contract price.---ID#: 1813/17We support use of artificial light for enhanced predator control. ---ID#: 2100/16[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times,Times][FONT=Times,Times]We support the North Dakota Game and Fish to increase funding for the USDA's predator control.---ID#: 1701/16We support efforts to control the black bird and Canada goose population to the point where it is no longer an economic problem for [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times,Times][FONT=Times,Times][/FONT][/FONT]

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Farm Bureau is a farm org. No surprise they support the trespass Bill. Farmers Union's spokesperson, Kayla Pulvermacher testified Farmers Union is of the same opinion as Farm Bureau on this Bill. That brought cheers, jeers and laughter all around.

It has to be tough for ND Game and Fish to sell opportunity to each one of us in a democratic way.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Farm Bureau is a farm org. No surprise they support the trespass Bill. Farmers Union's spokesperson, Kayla Pulvermacher testified Farmers Union is of the same opinion as Farm Bureau on this Bill. That brought cheers, jeers and laughter all around.

It has to be tough for ND Game and Fish to sell opportunity to each one of us in a democratic way.
They also want to hold th G&F responsible for depredation which they themselves could cause by limiting hunters

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obi, for every one guy that doesn't allow hunting and then has too many deer in a hard winter, there are twenty others who do allow.

That is why I keep saying it, it has to be tough for the ND Game and Fish Department to sell opportunity for all in a democratic way.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

But yet you act surprised when hunters support Ducks Unlimited and similar orgs.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obi, for every one guy that doesn't allow hunting and then has too many deer in a hard winter, there are twenty others who do allow.

That is why I keep saying it, it has to be tough for the ND Game and Fish Department to sell opportunity for all in a democratic way.
Why should the state pay for depredation when the landowner limits hunters?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

This is why I am for there being more publicly owned land. Whether it is the government or Ducks Unlimited buying it I am all for more public land for sportsmen to pursue the public’s wildlife. The farm bureau doesn’t want this to happen but will be forcing its own hand by cutting off sportsmen.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
But yet you act surprised when hunters support Ducks Unlimited and similar orgs.

Farm orgs like Farmers Union are grass roots. There is a resolutions process where each county sends members to write the policy. They vote for the leadership and spokespersons who adhere to that policy.

Whisky, can you or any sportsmen remember voting for Dick Monson, Mike McEnroe (wildlife society) carmen miller (DU) Lloyd Jones (USFWS) to speak for you with direction given to them through policy resolutions?

I know sportsmen say dammit, I work 8 to 5 and don't have time to be driving to the Capitol several times a session..... Laws are made by those who show up.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So it’s ‘local control’ that is actively playing defense against wildlife, access, public lands and sportsmen? Good to know.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why should the state pay for depredation when the landowner limits hunters?

Its up to a wardens discresion here and we had one that if you did not allow people to shoot does on your land you got no compensation

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67