Frost in hub. To dry or not to dry?

parttimr

Ok so I did see this addressed somewhat before but specifically was out last night and the 949i got quite a bit on the windows and insulated material. I know it was said mold could become an issue but do folks set them up after each outing if this occurs especially in these temps seems it wouldn't melt anyway unless you had a heated shop which I don't. Or could it wait until toward warmer temps. Been out three times and first time it frosted. TIA.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
As addressed before: Mold = moisture + heat

If the hub is going to live in the back of a vehicle (pickup box) and remain cold I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

If concerned bring it in garage and set it up run fan on it…that’s really all that is needed, even if the garage is not heated the air movement alone should dry out the inside

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always dry my houses out after every use but I have a heated garage so its much easier. Is there anywhere inside your home that is big enough to set it up for a few hours and put a fan in it?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i put mine in the bath tub before wife was not thrilled but i didnt die from black mold out fishing

parttimr

Thanks guys pretty much what I thought but being a newb to ice fishing just wanted to make sure. Really doesn't come out of the truck unless I need to haul something then in a cold garage.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My mother used to hang sheets on the line when below freezing. They were stiff at first but eventually freeze dried.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a pos- I bought a 949i two weeks ago used it 3 times it fogged every time and froze my ass off selling it for 250 make offer

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't know much about the 949i but I bought an insulated Otter before Christmas on sale for $300 from Scheels.Use it mostly for spearing and heating it has not been an issue. Use a Little Buddy Heater and it stays very comfortable. If it gets real cold I do have a Big Buddy that I'm sure would sweat me out. Don't have a heated garage but a couple times I did set it up in that garage with the heater going inside. Dried it out good enough for me. Most of the moisture on mine comes around the bottom where I pile snow to keep light and wind out. Hardly any moisture from condensation.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 25+ years of ice fishing, and having fish houses, I have never “dried” one out until spring, prior to storage. I think some of you guys worry a bit too much. Now if you park your pickup in a heated garage with a damp house in the box, maybe you might have a slight concern. Mine stays in the enclosed trailer for the season now, guessing at times the inside might warm up and thaw the frost.
To each their own, I am from the school of doing the bare ass minimum to get by, and all that extra work for a just in case scenario is very unappealing

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79