Beef Tongue

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a question if anyone has cooked the tongue, and if its worth my time. Usually toss to the cats, along with heart and liver. Tho i do fry up deer heart... maybe im tossing out some worthwhile meals?...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little tongue is always nice. Sorry I just had to.:;:sorry Boiled and remove the outside skin and slice then lightly fry is how my mother used to do it. Its a muscle like the heart and good once you get by the thought.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tongue, heart, and liver always went to the dogs and cats. Never liked them when i was younger and tried them again later in life and i still don't like them.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
You tossing the wrong stuff and keeping the wrong stuff... I'd keep the heart and liver for me!! Chase after the wife with the tongue

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOVE BEEF TONGUE! My father grew up ranching and farming. He cooks it perfect. Boils, peels, slices and fries. It's really, really good.

And the best tacos I've had in my life were from a little roadside stand in Texas. We tried a bunch of different types, but the highlight by far was the beef tongue. Had such noticeable, good flavor.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't had tongue in many years but when I did it was delicious. If you're skittish about what something looks like it's best not to watch the skinning. Once skinned and cooked properly you will think you are eating the finest cut of meat from the animal. Great beef flavor, fine texture, and extremely tender.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
had it once, it was prepared for me so I'm not familiar with the process but it was very good. Tastes like the good fatty part of a steak.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just purchased steven rinellas meateater cookbook a couple weeks ago and i'm pretty sure I seen a tongue recipe in there. The picture made it look like something I would maybe try after a few beers. It looked good but it still just looked like a big tongue. If you have any interest in his recipe I can get it to you. As for hearts and livers, I only get venison ones but I just grind them up along with anything else when I clean out the freezer and jerky them for the dogs, stinks like hell in the dehydrator and garage but the dogs love it.

Coldfront

Established Member
Boil the tongue in salt water until the skin is easliy removed, then cut away any fat we like it just cut up in 1/4 thick slices. For those that say feed it the cats well it tastes like the best roast beef you have ever had. left overs i like cold out of the fridge with a sprinkle of salt. Heart make stew out of it. For those that like liver which I do here is what I do, if it is beef liver feed it to the cats. I love deer or pork liver, no smell like beef liver.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
A zoology prof cooked some bison tongue for a wild game dinner end of quarter and it was really good, have made beef tongue for slicing for roast beef sandwiches and tacos since, really like it. Only beef heart I have had was slow cooked for a church potluck, pretty good.

Not a liver fan but have a feeling it would be better cooked med rare rather than well done. And maybe have it with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beef tongue ranks right next to the ribeye steak. Pork liver is hands down better tasting than beef liver. Real old fashion head cheese (not this Store bought stuff), is one of the things I miss the most. Thick sliced on homemade bread with horseradish and mustard, my mouth is watering right now. Fried pig brains on garlic toast would be my last meal request.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
My mom loved it!! Brother and i couldn't get past the thought to ever try it. She used to use a pressure cooker then just "peel and eat" lol

Coldfront

Established Member
Beef tongue ranks right next to the ribeye steak. Pork liver is hands down better tasting than beef liver. Real old fashion head cheese (not this Store bought stuff), is one of the things I miss the most. Thick sliced on homemade bread with horseradish and mustard, my mouth is watering right now. Fried pig brains on garlic toast would be my last meal request.
\

Where you live at I have some home headcheese that is to die for I could share. Deer liver tastes just like pork liver and yes it has to be pink or it tastes like shoe leather that has step in a pile of cow s???

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never tried tongue, but we boil our beef, deer or pork hearts and pickle them. My son just likes them boiled and salted with a cracker.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
\

Where you live at I have some home headcheese that is to die for I could share. Deer liver tastes just like pork liver and yes it has to be pink or it tastes like shoe leather that has step in a pile of cow s???

Do like head cheese and souse and scrapple for that matter! Best thing I have eaten though is "tacos el bouche" from the taco truck parked in Arnegard, never would have tried other than on a dare and they have been amazing everytime I have ordered them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77