E Bikes

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was thinking about getting one for bowhunting in the badlands or for riding the Maah Daah Hey trail or just riding to work in the summertime. I know they have restrictions about motorized vehicles on the trail, but I don't think this would affect that would it? Would a fat tire bike be better or should I just get a regular mountain bike? Here are a couple that I found on the internet.

I ride a Trek Powerfly FS 7 and really like it. It's like non-assisted mountain biking but better. Yeah, the Maah Daah Hey Trail is off limits--for now--but that will change once everyone realizes how much fun e-bikes are. They have a motor but from a practical standpoint they are more like regular bikes than motorbikes and it's only a matter of time before trails open up to them.

I know that ebikes are getting more popular but I hope they will never be allowed on the MDH. To me if they can travel faster they 10mph without pedaling it's considered a motor vehicle.

As for hunting I could see someone who is handicapped and physically incapable of traveling far distances benefiting from these bikes. For the physically capable hunters just grab a lower gear and keep pedaling.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Motors can be electric or combustion driven. Still a motor per definition

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
As an avid biker, I see the benefits of E-Bikes but I am not a fan of opening up every trail to them. Maybe it's like traditional bowhunters vs. compound hunters back in the day. We're all here to enjoy the same thing, maybe method shouldn't matter. From a straight mountain biking standpoint, I think that the battle of pedaling up/down/around the terrain is a big part of it and E-assist doesn't fit my line of thinking. Any bike that can go 15 mph without pedaling isn't a bike, period. I bust my ass riding up 15 miles of challenging singletrack and then a guy pops up behind me happy as all get out because he had E assist to do the same thing. That just doesn't sit well with me. The mountain bike race world is strongly against them....any race has a strict NO E BIKES policy well defined.

However, I can see how it opens up the doors to more people being on bikes. Well, at least those with money. They are expensive, even by bike standards. But I do a road ride every year and several older folks do 70+ miles on E-Bikes. That is cool. So there is a place for them.

In terms of hunting, I think they would be a nice tool. I sweat like crazy so pedaling in I would be drenched. But they could get you into places way faster than walking. But, at what point do we draw the line on technology assisting us as hunters? That is a question each person has to answer themselves. I'd rather do it the hard way. Maybe I'm an idiot LOL!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if you can get a knobby tire for this, and maybe a gun rack?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYRWDYK/?tag=nodakangler10-20

71s9Tccny9L._SL1500_.jpg

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife bought a juiced camp scrambler. the last time I smiled and laughed riding a bike this much I was 6 years old. the thing is a blast. I agree it isn't a bicycle more of a mini bike.

Creek Chub

I know that ebikes are getting more popular but I hope they will never be allowed on the MDH. To me if they can travel faster they 10mph without pedaling it's considered a motor vehicle.

As for hunting I could see someone who is handicapped and physically incapable of traveling far distances benefiting from these bikes. For the physically capable hunters just grab a lower gear and keep pedaling.

The Trek Powerlfy goes 0 mph without pedaling. There is no throttle. You have to pedal. With the motor helping it gives me about the same level of overall power as your average Tour de France bike rider.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the same group that is claiming they have every right to be on the roads and highways with their bicycles don't want motorized bicycles on their trails.

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the same group that is claiming they have every right to be on the roads and highways with their bicycles don't want motorized bicycles on their trails.

I wouldn't lump all bike riders into the same group but I do think ND is behind the times when it comes to adequate bike lanes to safely navigate towns. Let me jump over to the other form of riding and say that I believe that ebikes do more harm than good on trails but it only takes one person on a muddy day to ruin a trail. And they are not just my trails. They are everybody's trails. And at a hunting standpoint if had a spot that I hunted has been kept isolated because the amount of walking and now anyone with some money to purchase an ebike can access the area I hunt with ease I would be a bit disappointed. Now if you will excuse me I am going for a ride on my fatbike.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't lump all bike riders into the same group but I do think ND is behind the times when it comes to adequate bike lanes to safely navigate towns. Let me jump over to the other form of riding and say that I believe that ebikes do more harm than good on trails but it only takes one person on a muddy day to ruin a trail. And they are not just my trails. They are everybody's trails. And at a hunting standpoint if had a spot that I hunted has been kept isolated because the amount of walking and now anyone with some money to purchase an ebike can access the area I hunt with ease I would be a bit disappointed. Now if you will excuse me I am going for a ride on my fatbike.

" They are everybody's trails " so why are they limited to only a chosen group to use?

How would an E-bike do any more harm on a trail than a peddle bike?

I have hunted an area by Medora long before the Maah Daah Hey trail was opened up and I will say that the bikers and that trail have caused more harm and erosion to the land than hunters ever did.

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
" They are everybody's trails " so why are they limited to only a chosen group to use?

I have hunted an area by Medora long before the Maah Daah Hey trail was opened up and I will say that the bikers and that trail have caused more harm and erosion to the land than hunters ever did.

Hikers, bikers, and horseback riders is not I would call a chosen group. In your opinion what is a good cut off point that should or should be allowed on trails or driven on public access? Motorized vehicles sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
how is a e-bike going to cause more erosion on trails than a pedal bike? the weight? its not like a e-bike is powerful enough to spin the tires cutting ruts. I guess if people want some pedal assist have it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hunted an area by Medora long before the Maah Hey trail was opened up and I will say that the bikers and that trail have caused more harm and erosion to the land than hunters ever did.
That's true. Ten years ago I had a cow elk tag and was hunting the west side of the little Mo. I parked at one of te trail heads and hike South on the Maad Daah Hey trail for about a mile. Bikes had worn the trail so deep they were breaking the reflectors off their pedals.

At that time of year I didn't expect to see any bikers, but when I was about 200 yards off the trail six of them passed by. It was dead calm and you could hear for a long ways. I heard one say " he's got a gun", and another ask "do you have cell reception", and another say " we have to turn him in first reception we get". What a bunch of bone heads.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's true. Ten years ago I had a cow elk tag and was hunting the west side of the little Mo. I parked at one of te trail heads and hike South on the Maad Daah Hey trail for about a mile. Bikes had worn the trail so deep they were breaking the reflectors off their pedals.

At that time of year I didn't expect to see any bikers, but when I was about 200 yards off the trail six of them passed by. It was dead calm and you could hear for a long ways. I heard one say " he's got a gun", and another ask "do you have cell reception", and another say " we have to turn him in first reception we get". What a bunch of bone heads.

Couple shots in the air might have gotten their attention, ever see a biker shit his pants while riding?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love how all bikers are classified as city slicker d-bags.....far from the case. While I don't mountain bike in areas when the hunting seasons crank up, I surely don't get scared by a hunter with a gun. Nor does anyone I ride with. We all hunt, fish, camp, and yes, bike, hike and run. And drink beer and have a good time. Not trying to be Cameron Haines, but sure do like being in shape to enjoy the things I love.

Trail damage comes from all types of use. As a trail gets more defined it gets more use, via hiking, biking, horseback, wildlife, cows, etc. and that leads to more weathering. The worst weathering I see on trails is due to livestock use by far. But, no question, more users equals more weathering. Poorly designed trails on crappy soils are the worst, lots of erosion there all the time. But a well designed trail can have literally thousands of users on it and survive well, bikes or not. I ride them all the time. MDH trail doesn't fit in that category, it's awesome in scenery but was not designed and travels over poor soils at best. Trails see more damage from use at the wrong time (wet) than anything else. E bikes don't do any more in terms of trail damage than any other bike....damage comes from idiot users, not the type of use.

I think the argument being held is based on the definition of what "motorized" is and what impact that has on hunting. I think it is much more substantial than what you think it to be, at least in areas with limited vehicular travel. In areas I have been in MT, we have had to ride 10 miles to get into good terrain. Very, very few if any folks are willing to hike or bike that far. Horse and mule guys go way further. But, add in E bikes and that opens up terrain to many more, via motorized assistance. Maybe Bad Boy Buggies can put a pedal set on one of their carts and call them an E bike buggy and those would be legal too. I think you are opening up a big can of worms there. How much technological assistance are we going to allow in hunting? At what point are we eliminating the skill and hard work needed to harvest an animal fairly? Those are the big questions and E bikes are simply the item that brings forth the question....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74