No Trespass Law

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This editorial is based only on feeling - I see no statement of fact or reason to support the position, continuing the "feeling based" arguments for SB 2315. You never hear the "why" in all of these arguments for SB 2315...just the argument.

I feel I shouldn't have to post, though the law says I do
I feel sportsmen should have to ask, though the law doesn't require it for unposted land.
I feel the law should change, because it'll keep bad people off my land
I feel I do so much already, why do I have to spend time/$ on posting

No one points out the facts. (I see the Trib has no space to comment on the story on their site and hasn't posted to their FB page to counter). So at the risk of sounding like Dwight Schrute...

Fact - 59 Hunting Trespass Tickets in 2017 for 140,000 hunters in ND. (0.04%) - Hunters abide by the law, and landowners know to post.
gf.nd.gov/news/2222
Fact - ~400 B-Misd Criminal Trespass Reports in 2017, for 755,000 people in ND (0.05%) - All of society understands as well. https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/sites/ag/files/documents/2017-CrimeReport.pdf
Fact - ND has 2.1 Million Acres of Public Land and ~1 Million Acres of Unposted Land. Take the latter away as SB 2315 does and hunting access drops by 1/3.
Fact - One of the top reasons people quit hunting is ACCESS. Remove the places to go, and people will stop going, or at least go less.
(http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/why-hunters-quit-hunting/)
Fact - Hunters generate ~$11.2 Million per year in Pittman-Robertson Dollars. Even a 5% drop in hunters is significant funding for our G&F, Hunter's Ed and other programs. (https://www.fws.gov/home/wsfr/apportionments-fy14.html)
Fact - Hunters buy >140,000 licenses each year, same impact as above, direct to the NDG&F Bottom Line (wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/licenseinfo/Natl%20Hunting%20License%20Report%202017.pdf)
Fact - Hunter spending in ND - particularly small town ND - totals more than $200,000,000 each year. (http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/145739/2/AAE706-S February 2013.pdf)

Fact - Bears Eat Beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaaANll8h18

Less Access = Less Hunters = Less Dollars = Less Conservation Programs = Less Wildlife = Less Hunters...cue downward spiral.

No one wants to talk about how bad this bill will hit hunters and our state's economy - poorly thought out without an eye to the consequences; punishing hunters by removing access as opposed to punishing criminals with tougher penalties.

A Bad Bill all around. It's up to us as sportsmen to set it straight - contact your legislators and share some facts as to why they should VOTE NO on SB 2315. https://www.legis.nd.gov/contact-my-legislators

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
and landowners like me who didn't want the law to change will pay the price for the desires of a few

DUMB

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just cannot believe they would think about changing it. They must be taking some serious heat from landowners to keep trying to put a vote to it. Their only valid argument is that its takes time and money to put up signs. You can get signs for a less than a dollar, and if you have so much land that it actually is expensive and time consuming then maybe it isn't a bad idea to leave some of it unposted.

If it does pass someday the state of ND is going to seriously regret it because once it changes you are not going back. Do you guys think the only reason the state is getting so much heat from the Landowners and AG guys is because some of our neighboring states did it?

It just seems like a keeping up with the Joneses thing to me.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, a person could always do an initiated measure to reverse it. Of course, that takes some resources.

Labz4me

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical modern lawmaking, only done with the few loudest in mind. As a landowner/hunter I believe this law will kill hunting as we see it. Not to mention the economic benefits it brings to the smaller communities. We all need to make our voices heard on this legislation. Hunters and landowners alike!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It would be different if the proponents answered the many concerns citizens have with the bill. They have tried to push this database as a solution but have not been able to prove this will be workable. It’s not going to be easy to contact these landowners especially when they are bombarded with phone calls and knocks at their door. How the hell are sportsmen going to be able to use social media to gain access. They don’t address the consequences because they know that will sink the prospects of the bill. Until they soothe the concerns of many sportsmen we will continue to be in opposition to the bill. This is a slippery slope to go down as what goes around comes around. The loss of access may lead to less advocation for farming related programs and subsidies and may drive to farming business imto less of a protected industry.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eberle needs to be gone, Lehr is one of the big proponents of the Sconi and Sota fishing debacle, they rape the lakes in the area, but want to kill hunting. Can't rap my mind around the sense of his motivation

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this passes They need to add in that all state owned lands including school land can never be posted and it doesn't matter if there is cattle present or not

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this passes They need to add in that all state owned lands including school land can never be posted and it doesn't matter if there is cattle present or not

Thats hilarious. I agree with you , but I’m telling you to get over it cuz that ain’t gonna happen !

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats hilarious. I agree with you , but I’m telling you to get over it cuz that ain’t gonna happen !
if they want to make all private land posted then all public land should be public. I have had run in with an ass N of Center multiple time trying to hunt school land and he acts like he owns it because he rents it what's going to happen when all land is posted

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The overnight rumor from the capitol has it that the Senate Ag Committee is in gridlock over this bill - they are hearing the overwhelming voice of sportsmen and that is making this process hard for them to side with the big money operations on the other side and the proponents of what they also are seeing as a bill with many flaws!

KEEP THE PRESSURE ON THEM! WE MUST DEFEAT THIS BILL! EMAIL THE COMMITTEE TODAY! ENCOURAGE A "DO NOT PASS"

Senate Ag Committee
Larry Luick – Chair – lluick@nd.gov
Jane Myrdal – Vice Chair - jmyrdal@nd.gov
Kathy Hogan - khogan@nd.gov
Jerry Klein - jklein@nd.gov
Oley Larson - olarsen@nd.gov
Arne Osland - aosland@nd.gov

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
The overnight rumor from the capitol has it that the Senate Ag Committee is in gridlock over this bill - they are hearing the overwhelming voice of sportsmen and that is making this process hard for them to side with the big money operations on the other side and the proponents of what they also are seeing as a bill with many flaws!

KEEP THE PRESSURE ON THEM! WE MUST DEFEAT THIS BILL! EMAIL THE COMMITTEE TODAY! ENCOURAGE A "DO NOT PASS"

Senate Ag Committee
Larry Luick – Chair – lluick@nd.gov
Jane Myrdal – Vice Chair - jmyrdal@nd.gov
Kathy Hogan - khogan@nd.gov
Jerry Klein - jklein@nd.gov
Oley Larson - olarsen@nd.gov
Arne Osland - aosland@nd.gov

Thank you for the update,, sending another email.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eberle needs to be gone, Lehr is one of the big proponents of the Sconi and Sota fishing debacle, they rape the lakes in the area, but want to kill hunting. Can't rap my mind around the sense of his motivation

I will agree that Erbele needs to be gone, but I hope you are not implying that the rest of the local area is behind him or the Sconi/Sota invasion because that is absolutely bullshit.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just sent this to the entire committee.

Greetings, I just wanted to express to you my displeasure, outrage, and opposition to bill SB 2315. As a landowner, I do not need the State to determine for me how to manage my land. Bill SB 2315 will do just that very thing. The right to decide to post my land or to not post my land is ENTIRELY up to me, the owner. Proponents of this bill claim that this bill will protect landowner rights. I fail to see how taking the right to decide if my land will be posted away from me is protecting my right to decide what to do with my land. It is extremely hypocritical to claim to want to protect landowner rights when bill SB 2315 is designed to take away those very rights. I urge you to vote NO on bill SB 2315 and protect landowner rights instead of voting to take them away.

Sincerely,

(My Name), Landowner in North Dakota

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
if they want to make all private land posted then all public land should be public. I have had run in with an ass N of Center multiple time trying to hunt school land and he acts like he owns it because he rents it what's going to happen when all land is posted

And have better access to the public lands.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just sent this to the entire committee.

Greetings, I just wanted to express to you my displeasure, outrage, and opposition to bill SB 2315. As a landowner, I do not need the State to determine for me how to manage my land. Bill SB 2315 will do just that very thing. The right to decide to post my land or to not post my land is ENTIRELY up to me, the owner. Proponents of this bill claim that this bill will protect landowner rights. I fail to see how taking the right to decide if my land will be posted away from me is protecting my right to decide what to do with my land. It is extremely hypocritical to claim to want to protect landowner rights when bill SB 2315 is designed to take away those very rights. I urge you to vote NO on bill SB 2315 and protect landowner rights instead of voting to take them away.

And KDM wins the internet today! Great job! ;:;bowdown

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76