Labrador/Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Max is really slowing down now and I've been looking for a new Lab puppy for a while now. My Buddys wife ran across some Labrador/Chesapeake mix puppies and she said the owner would be willing to work with me on the price. The father is a papered Chesapeake and the mother is a papered Lab.

I've never been around any of these and am wondering what kind of dogs they turn out to be as they get older. I need to have a dog that can be around anyone anywhere, kids and any kind of animals without worrying about them.

So any of you guys have any input?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check out mom and dads personality, its the first step of many.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Chessies are one person dogs and are a little aggressive for most folks. I've been around a few and although great wf/upland game dogs, I really don't think they get along well with other folks and dogs. There are always exceptions and if bread with the lab personality, could be a great dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Bred, dammit.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check out mom and dads personality, its the first step of many.

Yup, going to take a trip and check the pups out tomorrow, also going to see how Max and the Dad get along.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I have a female lab/chessie cross that we have had for about 8 years. She is good dog but is a little more protective of our yard and us than most labs i have been around. Overall she has been a good dog and i wouldnt hesitate to buy one. Pm me if you have any questions.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pure bred chessie and he is the same as a lab . He is my second one and both have
been good dogs . If around a lot of people when they are puppies helps I think .

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
lab all the way, a good breeder can help you select a mellow pup or a higher strung pup. Health is a big factor when looking for a dog, make sure their parents have certified health so they live a long healthy life.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I have a male Chesapeake that is very friendly. You have to socialize them same as any dog. I’ve had a Lab Chesapeake cross before also. He was a great dog. Could hunt any bird and he was a machine. A lot of how the dog behaves is in the raising and training. You put the time in you’ll have a good dog.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Here is MY opinion, for what it is worth.

Yep take a good look at the parents and see how they interact with you when you visit. Do NOT try to make the deal happen. Be prepared to walk away if you can see anything that isn't quite right. Also when you pick up the pup, do the same with the pup in mind.

We had (3) labs in our lives.

The first one was a male that we did a non-existent job of socializing him with people AND other dogs. As he got older, he became very aggressive to others. He eventually ended up biting a little girl and we put him down. WE FAILED HIM.

Our second dog was a female that we socialized the dickens out of both with people AND other dogs. She was the most friendly dog and was an awesome hunter. I wish she was still with us she was that good. To this day, I still get remarks from people that knew her on how they miss her and how she was such a nice dog.

Our third dog was a female that we did a little different on. We decided to let the breeder keep her for the first 6 months and train her as I thought my work was too time demanding away (at the time) from home that she wouldn't get the training she needed. Perhaps I was wrong with my thinking. (?). Anyway to cut to the chase, they did an awesome job of training her as she knew commands like no body's business. But they NEVER socialized her with people and spent LITTLE time with her. She spent a lot of time with other dogs her own age. Anyway she was great around other dogs but had ZERO to do with people. She was scared of them. I worked hard with her for over a year but couldn't get her to become acclimated to people more, but wasn't having much luck. Bottom line, I took her back to the breeder and he gave me my full money back. It was so hard taking her back. But I thought it was the best for our family. ? Hard when no one else in the house felt comfortable taking her anywhere by themselves. Even on a leash. She was that scared of people.

My friend had a chessie/lab mix male. He said it was a very dominant dog. An awesome hunter. It listened to him. But would try to put his wife in her place. (Who is the top dog?) He said he would never get a chessie or chessie/lab mix again.

2400, so you do with my comments as you like. I wish you the best.

My broad advice is to get your pup at 8 weeks. Make it a house dog if at all possible to get it the most human interaction available. Then take it everywhere you go and get it to see people and other dogs. Start doing that right away at 8 weeks. Don't put it off. MAKE special trips to get it out and socialize.

Personally I would go with a pure lab. And not go with the mix.

Good luck my friend.
Dan

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without exception, all people to include my wife growing up, that had chessies had problems with aggression and stubbornness. I would NOT consider a chessie a family dog. My advice, given your situation, would be to look for another breed and maybe something smaller than a lab. Good Luck!! I wish you the best in your search.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I like all this discontent about Chesapeake’s. That mean that all of you that I cross paths with in the field will give me a wide berth for fear of my savage attack chessie!;:;rant;:;popcorn

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree my Chessie doesn't have a mean bone in his body.
He also will out retrieve many labs while out goose hunting . Too
many negatives are being stated . Raise them right and they
are just as good if not better than a lab . And I have had both .
I will keep getting my Chessie's .

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
griz and slammin salmon I fully agree with the raise them right and im not slamming chessies but a lot of chessie owners must do a shitty job raising them. Here is my experience with chessies i have been around. I had a boarding kennel for years the only dog we told the owners not to bring back was a chessie and we boarded the dog from when it was 8 weeks old when the dog was 1.5 it bit my wife and tried to be dominate over me, at the lake has a chessie that
guy
will charge anyone going by his place only thing that stops him is the buried containment fence. same dog attacked my 11 year old lab while she was sitting in the golf cart. know a few other chessie owners and 100% of them are aggressive might not bite you but will try to be dominate over strangers and other dogs.
I have also seen a lot of aggressive German wire hairs,

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have had Chessies since 1992 and not one problem with them. My 12 year old male that I have right now is super calm and could care less about any other dogs when he is out of his kennel. We have 2 little girls and he has never been aggressive with either of them or with any kids in our neighborhood. When he is in his kennel he will protect his yard and bark, but out he is just a big teddy bear. We have a 2 year old female now and I have always had her in with him and she is also just as calm with kids and people as can be. She hunts well and doesn't mind being in the field with other dogs. The only thing is she will sniff other dogs right away and then sometimes snip at them. I hate that and need to find a way to end it, but it is probably something I did or how I socialized her. Every of our other 8-10 Chessies have been the same way. I love mine and will have them as long as I have dogs.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Riverview chessies are a strong willed breed and they will take advantage if given the opportunity but they will also outperform most breeds in the field. They take a strong owner who will assert themselves and let the dog know who is in charge. My 7 year old son can work my 3 year old chessie. He knows who is in charge and the pecking order in his pack. As for with other dogs in the field they bug him more than he cares about them. He would just as soon them not bother him and let him work.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabin fever is alive and well on NDA. The OP asked for input on a dog breed. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not sure how providing input to a question morphed into attacks on anyone's dog. Slamminsalmon, you admit that they are strong willed and it takes a strong owner who will assert themselves. This is a fact. It's neither positive or negative. Tigolbitties, you admit that your dog will snip at other dogs sometimes and you admit you hate that about your dog. Much of the input given by other NDA members addresses stubbornness and aggression. Seems to me that by your own words, you agree with those aspects of the breed. Can chessies be great dogs...Yep. However, they do possess some attributes that warrant exposure IMO.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree slamminsalmon my Chessie could care less about other dogs .
The one I had before this one was the same . Yes they will bark at people
going by my house but are so gentle . I've seen many mean dogs that you would
never expect them to be of all breed's .

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is a lot of damn posts without a picture of a pup, dammit ya'll are slipping.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75