Labrador/Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
47230097_10217533577432809_583712353611153408_n.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck picking out a dog 2400, what ever breed you chose. IMO, no matter what the dog breed, its all about training, training, training and more training. The dog will become whatever you as an owner train\make it to become. As far as a dog getting along with another dogs, it about how much exposure they get with other dogs while being watched with both dog owners present, when they are with each other. I was a lab guy myself and after we put Gunnar down this last fall, decided he was the last dog I would own. When we went to pick him out of the litter of 10, I asked the guy to keep the gate on the kennel shut, told the kids to kneel down on the other side of the garage and when the guy opened the kennel door, told the kids to get all excited and clap their hands. Gunnar was the pup that sat in the kennel and watched the other pups run to the kids. Told the guy that's the pup I wanted and the kids got upset. I explained to them that I wanted a dog that was laid back and not so hyper. They said what fun will he be and my reply was, he will be as much fun as you make him be and he will be easy to train and he was very easy to train. If I would of wanted a dog full of piss and vinegar I would of picked the first one that made it to the kids.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check out mom and dads personality, its the first step of many.

I did just that yesterday when I was there. I also had my Lab Max with me to see how they get along with a strange dog around their pups.

Chessies are one person dogs and are a little aggressive for most folks. I've been around a few and although great wf/upland game dogs, I really don't think they get along well with other folks and dogs. There are always exceptions and if bread with the lab personality, could be a great dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Bred, dammit.

I was hoping the Lab would be the dominant personality. It is with the pups :cool:

I have a male Chesapeake that is very friendly. You have to socialize them same as any dog. I’ve had a Lab Chesapeake cross before also. He was a great dog. Could hunt any bird and he was a machine. A lot of how the dog behaves is in the raising and training. You put the time in you’ll have a good dog.

I believe the same thing, you get back what you put into it.

Here is MY opinion, for what it is worth.

Yep take a good look at the parents and see how they interact with you when you visit. Do NOT try to make the deal happen. Be prepared to walk away if you can see anything that isn't quite right. Also when you pick up the pup, do the same with the pup in mind.

2400, so you do with my comments as you like. I wish you the best.

My broad advice is to get your pup at 8 weeks. Make it a house dog if at all possible to get it the most human interaction available. Then take it everywhere you go and get it to see people and other dogs. Start doing that right away at 8 weeks. Don't put it off. MAKE special trips to get it out and socialize.

Personally I would go with a pure lab. And not go with the mix.

Good luck my friend.
Dan

I watched the parents while Max (my Lab) and I were playing with the pups. After sniffing butts and playing a little neither parent payed any attention to us.

I was ready to say "Thanks" and leave if either parent was aggressive or "weird" but after coming over to say Hi neither one payed any attention to us.

All my dogs have been house dogs, they go everywhere with me and spend most of their time around other people and animals, they also spend a lot of time in the van going to and from places.

I love pure Labs but since I couldn't find a female to mate Max (he's the 3rd generation I've had) with it looks to be out of the question. Most prices are $750 and up and then you may or may not get papers. Thats way out of my league so I looked at other options.

Without exception, all people to include my wife growing up, that had chessies had problems with aggression and stubbornness. I would NOT consider a chessie a family dog. My advice, given your situation, would be to look for another breed and maybe something smaller than a lab. Good Luck!! I wish you the best in your search.

Thanks I think a pure Chess might be a problem but the mix is a good one.

Thanks for the good wishes!

ROTFLMFAO

I raise Shorthairs in the 80's and 90's. I love them but do not have the ability to give one what he needs so they're out of the question for me.

I agree my Chessie doesn't have a mean bone in his body.
He also will out retrieve many labs while out goose hunting . Too
many negatives are being stated . Raise them right and they
are just as good if not better than a lab .
And I have had both .
I will keep getting my Chessie's .

I agree, I am a firm believer in you get back what you put in.

Cabin fever is alive and well on NDA. The OP asked for input on a dog breed. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not sure how providing input to a question morphed into attacks on anyone's dog. Slamminsalmon, you admit that they are strong willed and it takes a strong owner who will assert themselves. This is a fact. It's neither positive or negative. Tigolbitties, you admit that your dog will snip at other dogs sometimes and you admit you hate that about your dog. Much of the input given by other NDA members addresses stubbornness and aggression. Seems to me that by your own words, you agree with those aspects of the breed. Can chessies be great dogs...Yep. However, they do possess some attributes that warrant exposure IMO.

I got a lot of good advice and many good suggestions which is what I was looking for.

I think most if not all dogs need a strong, consistent and loving owner. I've trained Shorthairs and Labs most of my life and they all responded best to consistent leadership. I spend most of everyday with my dogs and they go most places with me and interact with everyone and everything I do. Since they do that every day of their lives it's not a big deal to load up and go somewhere and see people and animals, it's just another day to them.

I really liked the puppy and enjoyed playing with them. I liked both parents and so did Max. The parents came over and got petted and played with and then they went over and lay down and went to sleep while we played with the pups.

There were 8 pups, I played with and held all the male pups and found the one I liked best and when we took them outside Max picked the same one I liked and played with it the most. So it looks like we have a new pup sometime the end of the month.

This is the Dad 100# Chess

Clancey001.jpg

Mom is a yellow Lab and her 2 yo daughter (same Dad) Mom is 80# or so

Resized952018123195130944001.jpg

An old guy with the "pic of the litter" lmao

IMG950493001.jpg

IMG950489001001.jpg

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you . If I knew how to post a pic from my phone I would .
You got a new companion and that's the important part .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I be all smiles 2400. Going to need plenty of pics. as he grows up. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations on the new addition 2400!! Lap dogs are the way to go. (Grin)

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the many good wishes guys!

I went by yesterday on my way home from the VA so Max and I could play with him for a while. He's 7 weeks, 12 pounds and his feet are now bigger than a silver dollar.

I'm thinking of either Rufus or Thor as a name or better suggestions?

New puppy!.jpg

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
He looks like a Thor to me! :) or maybe just calling him "No" so he isn't so confused right off the bat! haha Congrats!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no idea why, but Touk (Toque) sprang to mind.

Yeesh - I need some Pussers and Q.

- - - Updated - - -
MFTL-Toque-Brown_900x.png

9k=

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most likely you will be calling him dufus for the next three years. So Rufus would be appropriate.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice looking pup!! :;:thumbsup Don't name him until he's at least 3 years old, because before that time, you will more then likely be calling him "You dumb ass" ;:;rofl Maybe not, as hopefully he turns out to be a smart one and a quick learner.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75