New to Nodak Angler, Looking at Ice Fishing Trip

TonyC

Hi All: I just joined Nodak Angler – looks like a fun community. I live in Minnesota but love fishing Devils Lake and my cousins went to NDSU so I get to Fargo about once a year. Freshman year of college I took the overnight train from St. Paul to Devils Lake by myself and fished a couple days with Jason Mitchell as my guide and fell in love with the place.

I’ve fished in Manitoba with my dad the past couple summers and am considering squeezing in an ice fishing trip there this winter if I can. Any suggestions on do-it-yourself spots? (for walleyes, primarily)

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Winnipeg, if you have tracks or a snowmobile. I've heard truck travel is a no-go lately.

Does it have to be Manitoba? If you do have a sled or tracks, LOTW out of Morson would be closer for you than Winnipeg, and good walleye and crappie fishing. Could also run up to Whitefish bay while you are there for Lakers.

Really depends on how much time you want to devote to it and what kind of equipment you have.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I've seen Winnipeg would be my vote as well. Welcome to the site, I've also heard from here Goose Lake is a must try.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard we are so going have all lakes posted, l understand some land owners are tired of vehicle traffic on “their” gravel roads, so you best get fishing before we decide to sit back and wait for the final amendments to the bill to come out, so we can decide if it makes sense.

Welcome aboard

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome. Though I think Winnipeg would be fun I'm going with Lungedeflator and think a trip up into LOW for a multi species adventure is my trip of choice if that is any interest to you. Plus the scenery and potential seclusion is another interest, but then again I suck at catching walleye so may as well go somewhere with other options for me.
Good luck

Flannel

If you do Winnipeg, I would wait until March - that is when it really gets worth it
LOW is another solid option, a lot of the hot spots up there take a lot of driving...

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How's the walleye fishing over in minn? Red lake, leech lake, milacs, st. Croix river..? Have you fished any of those lately? I hear milacs is getting good again but not sure if you can keep any or if it's still catch and release only

TonyC

St. Croix River is my go-to - I live 12 minutes away! But I only fish it during open water. Red Lake is probably my favorite Minnesota walleye spot for ice fishing. Surprisingly I have never fished Leech before - I need to change that!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks all for the info and the welcome to NoDak!

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I’ve never fished minnesota so I’m of no help but welcome and good luck with the walleyes

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Don't leave out Brrrrrmidgi. kidding Bemidji can put out some nice fish as well you could package it together with Red!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75