Fishing with Generator

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Hey guys, I am wondering what you guys with hard houses do with your generators. Do you set them on the ice, do you leave them on your tailgate, on the spare tires??? Do you leave them run all night, do you shut them off at prime fishing time? I have heard stories that the vibration isn't good and the noise can drive fish away. Or does the sound help bring fish in? Just curious on your do's and don't. I have been setting mine on the spare tire as far away as my cord will let me and run it all night.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine sets in the pickup box on a rubber mat with the tonneau cover open a few inchs. When I leave it on the ice there is no differance. I dont think them running effects the fishing one bit.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a believer in vibration. Hence rattle in baits , and vibrating spoons. I actually at times will take metal ice scoop with a steel rod and clang as far down as I can go. At times i believe it works, sometimes not. And more so back in the day, seemed you would drill a hole just get bait in and bang you get one then that was it. Maybe all coincidence but I think like anything else we do with lure cadence, how much is too much or not enough? Just my thoughts.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back 30 to 40 yrs ago the old guys would take a copper ground rod and stick in the hole and wrap on it every few mins. Some times the rod would be long enough to go to the bottom and still stick out the hole. They said they were calling in the fish.

Never know

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 50/50 on setting it on the ice or on the tailgate. I don't think it scares fish away but then again I am not setup very shallow. I just make sure that the generator fumes are blowing downwind of my house and the beers stay cold

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey guys, I am wondering what you guys with hard houses do with your generators. Do you set them on the ice, do you leave them on your tailgate, on the spare tires??? Do you leave them run all night, do you shut them off at prime fishing time? I have heard stories that the vibration isn't good and the noise can drive fish away. Or does the sound help bring fish in? Just curious on your do's and don't. I have been setting mine on the spare tire as far away as my cord will let me and run it all night.

Doesn’t matter if you are fishing deeper 15’+

Some lakes the walleyes are affected more by noise. Some lakes when I am fishing shallow <10’ I cannot get them to bite if we are being loud in the house. I have seen them respond on the camera to noise. I know they are hungry because we catch a ton of fish on tip ups surrounding the house.

If you want to make sure to not ruin the night bite while fishing shallow run your generator all day until the bite starts

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
if I see nothing for a while on my camera I will sit it on the bottom and gently bounce it up and down stirring up the bottom, brings in curious panfish.

i heard years ago for open water fishing for perch make a cement pancake in a coffee can and use it to bang the bottom to bring in the perch.

I have used a small anchor to do the same thing and it appears to work when its slow fishing.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing here in 6 ft of water generator on ice no fish set it off the ice and fish went buck wild

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noticed on LOW that a vehicle driving by rustles up fish- the majority of the time. I talked with guides about my theroy and they agreed. Sometimes they make rounds just to stir up the fish.

I will note there are alot of diffefing opinions on this matter. I feel that low hum of a honda 2000 has little effect on the fish bite in my experince.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
brother in-law used to swear by starting his old 6.2 diesel to rattle there cage a bit if it was slow. Remember it being about 50/50. sometimes though it was like magic.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 pickups ago (in college) I had a pair of 12in eclipse subwoofers in the rig. Every now and then Incrank it (had to be Tool) and perch would go.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about generator but we had a good school of gills below us in 23fow, we started the ranger the Ranger and everything left. shut it off after 5min and fish started coming back but much less aggressive. Noise and vibration from above is a 50/50 I think.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I'm shore fishing within a mile of the train bridge in Mobridge, and a train goes by, we get bites every time.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Thanks for your input guys! I like to hear every ones opinions and experiences. I will mix it up next time just to see.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found out that when i have the wife reel up so i can have her try another set up that i have ready to go...that while she is fishing with my set up, she catches one while i am getting another setup ready for her...:;:muahaha

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Best way to catch more fish on a slow day: When you catch your first fish, throw it back and say out loud "Might as well throw it back, looks like I'm not going go catch enough to justify cleaning fish". Shortly after you do this you will begin to catch more fish. :;:huh

I run my generator on a mat in the box of my pickup.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about a coupla copper rods in the water, hooked up to generator, spearing hole in fish house and a switch. A lot quiter than TNT.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76