What do you use for a slip Bobber rig

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod length action line lbs bobber weight presentation? I don't have any thing to share other than I ussually hastefully try to put one together in the boat in a hurry and don't have my act together as I don't fish bobbers much

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a bare hook and however much weight it takes to make my bobber sit straight.

Other than that I have every type of rod,reel and line set up for bobbers. Doesn’t much matter to me.

I fish bobbers a lot. My kids caught hundreds on bobbers last summer

GSP22366

Nothing special as to rod set up- more in the rigging. Slip bobber fished with my Dad in Devils Lake and needed to clean up the process or go broke. Dad couldn't see real well in his later years so a larger more vertical bobber was needed, and they were a bit more expensive and he could snag really quickly- there went another bobber floating across the lake. Finally rigged up some rods with good bobber- weights- swivels and tied a 12" sacrifice line and hook under the rig. Tied up a bunch of sacrifice line and hooks on a roll. Key was to be a lot lighter with the sacrifice line than the main line. He still broke off a bunch, but it just took a few seconds to hook on another line and hook.
Got to take him on a good trip when he was 92 and he took some money away from us with the best fish bet. Great memory and glad to be able to give back for all the patience he had with me as a kid.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like 7+ft rods. This gives you a fudge factor if you don't have all the slack realed up for a hook set. I like bright colored line for my main line. It's usually 10-14lb green fireline. Run the bobber on that. Then tie a barrel swivel. I then use a 2ft leader of a light line with a small high or plain hook. I have a bunch of these tied in case of a break off.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too many variables here

Flowing water or calm?
Casting or dropping over the side?
What species?
What type of bait?
Braid or mono?
Windy or still?

All of these affect what type of float I use. I've used floats from pea sized to large enough to suspend 2 oz of lead on line from 1 lb to 35 lb in styles from stick floats to round and snap on to line through, ocean and freshwater. I have an entire tackle box of floats, weights, and hooks for different applications depending on these and other variables. Now for the standard situation for walleyes on the Sheyenne river with very little wind, I use is a ML, 6 ft, fast action spinning rod spooled with 10 lb pp braid. For the float I use a line through hybrid between stick and round shape using a string type stop. I use a larger float and more lead than most as I need to get down to the bottom fast otherwise the float goes downstream to fast before getting the bait situated and it turns into an exercise in casting and reeling instead of fishing. I prefer a small jig over a plain hook as the turbulence in the river will blow a plain hook and bait around more whereas a jig tends to keep the bait closer to the bottom where I want it. If there is some wind, I have often used a weighted float to help with casting and line drag which can really mess with a floats efficiency. I, as well as others, can probably give you some other suggestions if you can provide some additional info to the variables above. Hope this helps.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavier line on your main than on your snell. My pre-tied snells all have loops tied into the non hook end. Connected via a small snap swivel. That way a guy can slap a jig or some other ice fishing type presentation on if u want. Things like kastmasters, buckshot and small spoons can work well in the summer too.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of the most fun I can have fishing is with the good old Bobber, slip or not, this is what Grandpa's and Grandkids are all about, what ever works, works in my book

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys get bobber stops to stay in place on powerpro or fireline. Seems like I have to adjust my stop after every fish.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you guys get bobber stops to stay in place on powerpro or fireline. Seems like I have to adjust my stop after every fish.

I am usually pretty careful when reeling up. When the bobber stop gets close to the tip of my rod, I usually give it a pump and then drop the tip quick-like, so the rod is pointed at the fish, and crank the stop through quick, then pump back up. It takes a little practice, and might not work on a big pike, but it's doable.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74