-2 h.s. hockey coaches??

rippenlips

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it true that a player was choking another player at CHS and the coach tried keeping it quite? Heard a group last night out here at state hockey talking about it. Hope that isn't the case and its just an overheard exagurated conversation that was going on.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
have you ever been to a baseball game??? those parents are diaper dandys!!! not sticking up for hockey but after reffing and coaching for 15 plus years can't say i ever skated off the ice as fast as i could to the lockeroom like basketball, baseball,football or any other officials!!! lol

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hockey parents are the worst and their kids are not much better. I mean look how Taylorman ended up. The politics is bad in all sports but I would say hockey is the worst. I would not be a hockey coach even if they paid me 100k.

Boycott hockey and everyone and everything else you disagree with .

- - - Updated - - -

I probably shouldn't have responded , Now I will get accused of harassing you again .

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=3]PELUSO RESIGNS AS BHS HOCKEY COACH[/h]
Bismarck High hockey coach Mike Peluso has resigned after 11 seasons in charge of the Demons.

Peluso made the announcement on Twitter after the Demons lost to Century 10-4 in the third-place game at the state tournament in Fargo.

“I’ve been so fortunate to have worked with so many great kids, parents and staff over my time as head coach. For this, I want to thank everyone for the support,” Peluso said. “It comes with an extremely heavy heart, but I have decided to step down at this time as head coach."

He went on to clarify why he stepped down.

“Just to make sure everyone is clear on why myself and the rest of the coaching staff stepped down today. We are living in a world where people are quick to judge and react. I saw things that happened to other coaches this year, and didn’t want something like this to happen to us.”

Peluso led the Demons to the school's only state championship in 2014.

Sparky2_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quite a few years back I coached 5 & 6 grade basketball in Mandan. It was about the kids not the parents. The first year of coaching won every game except 1. All the kids got to play. After the last game I asked the parent to pitch in a couple of dollars and I took the team out for pizza. We had a blast that year. 1 kid now adult with his own kids still has the team picture.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Respectfully disagree. Where did you coach? I have been through all the levels of it and was happy when my kid decided that they didn’t want to play hockey.

Kind of curious where you went through all the levels at? Smaller town or bigger city? I would say personal opinion can vary drastically depending on where you went through the hockey program at. Also, personal opinion is going to be negative towards it if you didn't play much in high school or had a bad experience with it. A lot of coaches that I had still talk about the great experiences they had watching us and coaching us from kids all the way through high school. I do think parents today are a lot different than what I had growing up, though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In bigger towns there are usually rec leagues and traveling teams if you don't care to digest the crap that comes with competition but in all leagues sportsmanship should be top priority .
I have no idea who said what but there is a fine line with no gray area that separates good sportsmanship from poor sportsmanship . That line sometimes gets crossed In all sports, school activities and parenting. There are way to push young minds to potential without derogatory, demeaning, and intimidating language.
We encouraged our kids to be involved in sports to teach them sportsmanship , discipline and hard work and teamwork . Our goal was to encourage them to be competitive and set their goals and stay away from the drug crowd . I'd have to say it was a success but that's coming from a small town. Things tend to get uglier when there are more people involved and there are a few parents and probably a few coaches that should stay away from sports and extracurricular activities if we want to promote sportsmanship .
We saw some pretty ugly situations north of the 49th. Our boys played both Canadian and US leagues every year until high school age. There is a difference between night and day at the US border when it comes to competitiveness and sportsmanship. Friendly Manitoba until you step on the ice but they tend to leave it on the ice.

"A boys high school hockey coach in North Dakota was placed on indefinite leave on the day of the team’s first regional playoff game, for reasons that were later announced as his use of, “intimidating language.”

As reported by the Grand Forks Herald, Red River High School (Grand Forks, N.D.) boys hockey coach Bill Chase was placed on indefinite leave due to, “conduct unbecoming and unfitting of a high school coach, including a history (of) derogatory, demeaning, and intimidating language,” as disclosed in the district’s paperwork which was obtained by the Herald.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/north-dakota-hs-hockey-coach-placed-on-leave-for-intimidating-language

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
PELUSO RESIGNS AS BHS HOCKEY COACH

Bismarck High hockey coach Mike Peluso has resigned after 11 seasons in charge of the Demons.

Peluso made the announcement on Twitter after the Demons lost to Century 10-4 in the third-place game at the state tournament in Fargo.

“I’ve been so fortunate to have worked with so many great kids, parents and staff over my time as head coach. For this, I want to thank everyone for the support,” Peluso said. “It comes with an extremely heavy heart, but I have decided to step down at this time as head coach."

He went on to clarify why he stepped down.

“Just to make sure everyone is clear on why myself and the rest of the coaching staff stepped down today. We are living in a world where people are quick to judge and react. I saw things that happened to other coaches this year, and didn’t want something like this to happen to us.”

Peluso led the Demons to the school's only state championship in 2014.

So here you’ve got a guy who’s 43-44yrs old, grew up in Bismarck, made it to the highest level that hockey has in the world, and then moves home and accepts the job coaching where he played high-scool hockey himself. It’s a “Storybook” situation. A public school can’t competitvely pay for such a situation, the person has to have it in their heart to take that position.

What a shame when folks with those sort of immeasurable over-qualification decide that the climate is no longer worth the effort. I don’t blame them one bit. IMO, all of ND hockey will suffer this loss.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a funny note I watched the girls Championship game and the camera zoomed in on a girl holding a sign that said skate like hell. I thought it was a blond moment and wondered how long it would take staff to get to her and if they would remove student and sigh both or just the sign. I got a good chuckle when they introduced the players. Madison Brown from Bismarck has some impressive talent for an 8th grader . In her regular season she racked up 40 points in 25 games. 17 goals and 23 assists , Hope she can continue to improve and meet her goals in hockey whatever they might be but free college might be in her future.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coming from a big town to a little town it’s funny how stuff is so different when it comes to sports. Good in bad in both but overall my kid loves basketball I like coaching him and his buddies and after the games it’s fun having beers with the rest of the parents

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know nothing of the hockey situation, but I will comment on MS & HS coaching in general. It is a hard gig....you can't coach and push kids the same way many older coaches did. The kids and parents won't tolerate things being "too hard" or you being "too mean". Motivating kids is totally different and much more challenging today than yesteryear. Sports used to be THE thing you worked for in HS. Not to say you didn't do other things, but for the season you worked hard. Then, you played a different sport the next and played hard. Now, with the specialization of athletes, expectations get out of control. Everyone is getting a scholarship, everyone is going pro. The life lessons taught are lost in this mess of having to have a kid be a superstar by 6th grade and winning multiple state championships in HS. Just not realistic. There isn't any playing for fun anymore for kids....if they aren't balls in like the next kid who plays basketball all year long, they get chastised for not wanting to dedicate their lives to it.

You could not pay me enough to coach. Town size matters some but I've seen ugly in small towns and large. Regardless of what you think every experience you as a coach has with parents (in or out of the game, afterwards, at the bar, in the hotel room, etc) gets put into a bank......and once they are mad at you everything is able to be withdrawn and thrown in your face.

I am hoping more places have separate leagues for those who want to go crazy and those kids who want to just play and have fun. 3rd graders don't need to travel 400 miles to a tournament. Heck in a big town 8th graders don't if they just want to play and have fun. Let those who want to go all in do it and not ruin the experience for everyone else. JMO.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kind of curious where you went through all the levels at? Smaller town or bigger city? I would say personal opinion can vary drastically depending on where you went through the hockey program at. Also, personal opinion is going to be negative towards it if you didn't play much in high school or had a bad experience with it. A lot of coaches that I had still talk about the great experiences they had watching us and coaching us from kids all the way through high school. I do think parents today are a lot different than what I had growing up, though.

My playing experience was something I would not trade for the world. My hockey referee experience on the other hand I am glad I gave up years ago. I did it to have fun and make some extra cash and that wasn’t enough to keep me interested. Between the stoned coaches, drunk parents and mouthy kids it was not a fun place to work. I can’t remember how many parents we had to remove from the arena and how many coaches I kicked out. I would say this happened way more than in the other sports I played. When I reffed higher levels it was even worse especially the mouthy little players. I can tell you I will never let my kid act like that no matter how good he is at hockey. I would be embarrassed if I was some of the coaches I dealt with and I wouldn’t want my kid learning and hearing from those so called adults.

- - - Updated - - -

Boycott hockey and everyone and everything else you disagree with .

- - - Updated - - -

I probably shouldn't have responded , Now I will get accused of harassing you again .

Not quite boycotting as I gave my kid an opportunity to try it out. Sorry if you are still hurt but Im ok with your razzing if front of all of us so bring it.

As a side note I heard the RR coach was recorded calling his players fags and retards. Not the kind of words I would use and can understand how this crosses the line. I’ve been yelled at by coaches (and deserved it) and called names but this may have crossed the line. He should be happy he doesn’t have to coach and deal with those parents anymore

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rec league hockey is pretty much non existent in ND. Any level you are traveling to some extent and committing 5mnths out of the year. Which is good and bad depending on the dynamic of the team and there families. When my son played football it was show up to games whatch your kid play and go home. Hockey we are spending multiple weekends in hotels with other family's. This can lead to great friendships or a lot of catty shit talking depending how everyone gets along. I choose to be on the bench to ovoid it as much as possible.

It seems to me there is more to the story than what we have heard if other coaches are backing out over this. The bright side is Puluso if he decides can be more involved with the youth program like he has tried in the past.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Parents should have to set in the crying rooms like they have at churches

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother has been a coach and teacher in MN for going on 25 years now I think. He taught/coached in a smaller town in western MN before going to White Bear Lake high school. He has been at White bear for 20 years I think. He was the head girls basketball coach for quite a few years. Was coach of the year for their conference at least once I think and made the final three for teacher of the year in the state of MN. He flat loves kids and is a hell of a coach. He left coaching at the high school level due to parents. He then went to college assistant at a nearby college for a few years because he loves coaching. His replacement at the high school level got run out after two years. The new head coach was a stand up guy. The school wanted my brother back in the gym so they talked him into being an assistant. He says that is great for him because he doesn't have to deal with parents. He has been doing basketball camps in the summer at the same college for twenty plus years. It sucks when parents can destroy a program like that. 90% of the parents are perfectly fine it's the 10% that ruin it. He even had a gal from northern MN drive two hours one way everyday in the summer to play AAU ball for him. So he must be doing something right.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Former Bismarck High boys hockey head coach Mike Peluso sat down with KX Sports Sunday to expand on his staff's decision to step down collectively from the program.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peluso said that while the recent coaching departures at Fargo Davies and Grand Forks Red River over allegations of using intimidating language factored into the decision, it was not the only reason. Peluso said it was a combination of things building up over the years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"With some of the things that are coming up and we're continuing to fight and try to make better--whether it's trying to change the classification system for hockey in North Dakota, whether it's trying to get more games in our schedule, what have you--Every time we tried to do something to make things better, we got basically told no," Peluso said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"When you continue to run up against road blocks, whether that's the state, maybe an administration, maybe it's other coaches, or maybe it's officials, you get tired. You get tired of having to fight the fight."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peluso went on to cite a dispute from this season in which a referee allegedly fabricated penalties against BHS players in the official score sheet after a game. Peluso said those claims resulted in short suspensions for himself and captain Caleb Petrie.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The NDHSAA and Bismarck athletic director could not be reached for comment.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF nailed it and this is worth repeating in case anyone missed it.

"So here you’ve got a guy who’s 43-44yrs old, grew up in Bismarck, made it to the highest level that hockey has in the world, and then moves home and accepts the job coaching where he played high-scool hockey himself. It’s a “Storybook” situation. A public school can’t competitvely pay for such a situation, the person has to have it in their heart to take that position.

What a shame when folks with those sort of immeasurable over-qualification decide that the climate is no longer worth the effort. I don’t blame them one bit. IMO, all of ND hockey will suffer this loss."

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I blame anyone for having their fill of youth athletics nowadays. Everyone seems to think their kid is the next high draft pick in their respective sport so they go all in and pin their retirement hopes on that big pro contract of their kid. When I lived in GF we had a name for those people, they were collectively called "Puck Heads" because the sport of interest there is hockey.

Coaches can be demanding in their efforts to get the most out of their players. They should probably be a little more inventive than calling them fags and retards to do it.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that the entire staff quit without anyone staying behind wanting to take over says a lot. Pretty clear no one wants to deal with that crap and it’s too bad for the kids.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56