-2 h.s. hockey coaches??

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Davies whole staff resigns?? RedRiver coach is let go 4 hours before region game? Rumor i heard is Davies kids run there coach off and RR coach was let go for derogatory comments said against opposing team in the LOCKEROOM??

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fairly common thing now where hs coaches are run off for various reasons (these may be justified, no idea). People have to remember these guys are making 5-6 grand a year...I've heard cases where a coach is "fired" and then asked back because no one else wants to do it...LOL!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
They probably just didnt want to get there asses handed to them by G.F. Central.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hockey parents are the worst and their kids are not much better. I mean look how Taylorman ended up. The politics is bad in all sports but I would say hockey is the worst. I would not be a hockey coach even if they paid me 100k.

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wussification of America boys. Every kid is coddled now a days. Parents are crazy and think their kid is gonna play college/pro(in whatever sport they play). I'm sure parents were behind both coaches exit to some extend. Some parents think their shitty 3rd/4th line kid should be playing more then they are because in their "eyes" they are a good player and blew way to much coin$$$$ on them growing up to be sitting on the bench. All they do is bitch at the coaches. Only the good ones play in high school(even sooner) because ultimately you play to win. Shit I graduated in 1999 and my HS coach swore at as all the time if we screwed up, no big deal. Everything is SO politically correct now it is terrible. TRUMP is our last hope, only politician with the balls to say it how it is.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^ Agreed. Society has become all about entitlement. It is all about me me me.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't stomach to even watch high school sports anymore actually

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hockey parents are the worst and their kids are not much better. I mean look how Taylorman ended up. The politics is bad in all sports but I would say hockey is the worst. I would not be a hockey coach even if they paid me 100k.

Yeah its been a terrible life! Don't let your kids play hockey! haha. Today's hockey parents I would say are worse that anything I ever encountered growing up. Most of the parents during my time playing hockey were too boozed up to yell at coaches. I've been outside the locker room after a few of my nephew's games the last few years and heard about anything that could be imagined. Some of it is pretty unreal, and towards the coaches.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another factor in the equation is that hockey has no school affiliation until high school in ND and is run by parents for the most part in the junior programs. Then they hit high school and sometimes and outsider they haven't dealt with over the years is the coach and its a oh he make the decisions. I coached a few years after high school and even way back then it was tough as a coach with parents either wanting you to sit someone or play someone more. The younger kids I coached the philosophy was all kids will play and traveling teams were for solid competition and some parents still bitched at you as a coach. Hockey is a great sport and I love the game just struggle with the politics at times. I played thru HS many years ago and still miss the game. GL both BHS AND CHS this evening. dukgnfsn

My dad never really yelled at coaches but thru my years there was a particular referee that took a keen interest in my game in particular through the years and seemed to enjoy calling penalties on me and my dad did mess with him a lot and it was kinda funny because others knew it and also ribbed that ref on that also. The refs were the same throughout your carrier as a youngster so if some type of situation started when you were young you were stuck with that ref for a lot of your years. I don't know how but he got in the way of a lot of pucks I cleared thru the years.

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some parents can be real cruel. Then people wonder why coaches are hard to come by, yet they can't figure it out, but yet have all the answers to the teams problem. Especially parents who never played sports but yet think their kid is the super star and can win the game all by himself...smh.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle used to say the only way he'd ever coach was if it was for an orphanage...

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
As an official (retired) I would say parents are much worse than coaches. I enjoy most coaches.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Daughters are 4th grade and KGten. They don't get "grades" like we did. They don't keep score. Everyone gets to hit and run bases. There's no praise for "getting someone out", and everyone gets a ribbon. How does that even translate to having to earn playing time or even making a team?

I saw way too much angst and headache from friends who's kids played hockey to ever let mine play. I'd rather take them fishing, hunting, skiing, ice skating, etc. As I look back on my own childhood I feel a lot more joy looking back on my mom and sister teaching me to ice-skate or time I spent hunting/fishing/shooting with dad than any memories I have of any sporting event I participated it. Baseball, football, basketball, wrestling, track, soccer, no memories of any of them even come close. Cousin has a daughter in dance, she's 12-13ish and they still have 2 weekends in MLPS, 1 in Sioux Falls, and one in Kansas City. No way, no how are we going through that.

There's no "happy medium" anymore.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member

BS. Both my kids played several sports. Hockey parents are no worse than any other sport. I played and coached hockey and, again, the parents are the same in all sports.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle used to say the only way he'd ever coach was if it was for an orphanage...

That is a good one flatrock, Thanks for the laugh. Had many a fun times letting and encouraging our kids to play sports . The difference in parenting as I see it is town size on the US side , Chances of having a few bad parents are higher in bigger towns. Canadians they are all the same when it comes to hockey, Winning is everything to them. Happy that we raised our boys in a small town where politics and parent involvement wasn't much of an issue and we had a fun group of parents that encouraged coaches to promote discipline, academics and ethics. Small teams ment ice time was never an issue, One year the pee-wee team had 9 kids total and one got sick so we went to Fargo for the B1 tournament and only had 2 kids on the bench to rotate. We pretty much dominated every game and after the championship game about half of the Fargo parents blew head gaskets and were fighting between themselves and the coach and the other half were standing around us shaking hands and asking questions . Got a few laughs when one asked what do you feed those kids and I said chokecherries and venison.

It's not just sports either, It's attitudes. I have a good friend who is an elementary teacher with a heart of gold. There had been problems with a certain student that had been discussed with the parent and it got better so out of pure politeness she called the parent to tell them say the issue was resolved and had a good conversation with said parent. She was later approached by her boss and accused of chewing out the parent then she also got chewed out by her boss . What a crock .

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note, I watched a little of the semifinal games last night - looked like there was maybe 1000 people there? Pretty sad.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BS. Both my kids played several sports. Hockey parents are no worse than any other sport. I played and coached hockey and, again, the parents are the same in all sports.

Respectfully disagree. Where did you coach? I have been through all the levels of it and was happy when my kid decided that they didn’t want to play hockey.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Respectfully disagree. Where did you coach? I have been through all the levels of it and was happy when my kid decided that they didn’t want to play hockey.

Coached mite through bantam hockey in Bismarck. Also coached older son in baseball little league up to Babe Ruth

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57