2019 spring turkey!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happened to all of the turkeys in unit 50? Massive die off or what. Haven't hunted it for several years but it used to be a slam dunk. Putting on the miles and have hardly seen anything!

maybe they are still in farmyard/winter mode?... all flocked up?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would think yes when the wife and I scouted the property we have access to we musta saw 35-40 in one group musta been 12-15 gobblers all sizes jakes to nice toms and hens. We also saw a group of 4 all big toms and a group of 3 all big toms seperated from them so I would think some are in winter mode but starting to disperse

- - - Updated - - -

This was this past Saturday March 30th for what it’s worth

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
A six pack and a lawn chair is all that is needed here to take a turkey
image.jpg

Attachments

image.jpg

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
obi

im cuatiously optimistic ours is similar to yours. they are coming into a feed lot/area where landowner feeds his cattle. gonna set the blind back 100 yards outside where cattle can get in a pinch point loaded with tracks from roost to feed. hopefully ends up well but i have been mighty wrong before....

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been thinking on using my muzzey for turkey to keep it interesting. Do you think I can swap out the 1 power scope for a regular scope. I dont see any clarification in the rule book.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
obi

im cuatiously optimistic ours is similar to yours. they are coming into a feed lot/area where landowner feeds his cattle. gonna set the blind back 100 yards outside where cattle can get in a pinch point loaded with tracks from roost to feed. hopefully ends up well but i have been mighty wrong before....

They are there various times of the day but nothing a guy can pattern.

I don't have a tag

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Obi,

Just don't have more than a 6 pack...that's an awful nice building in the background...

Had a buddy of mine get a little liquored up one night and he went to check his wife's horses only to find that 3 coons had completely destroyed about 8 bags of horse feed...went back and grabbed his 20ga and the next day he was replacing tin on the roof...he said he got all three of the bastards though...

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are there various times of the day but nothing a guy can pattern.

I don't have a tag

that's were 2 feeder hen decoys and making sweet love using the box call should bring em in....hahah or at least that's how im drawing it up

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm... I have shot four spring turkey (calling, no blinds) and don't recall ticks being an issue. (all Badlandsy type terrain)

- - - Updated - - -

Wags - was yours sandhills?

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmmm... I have shot four spring turkey (calling, no blinds) and don't recall ticks being an issue. (all Badlandsy type terrain)

- - - Updated - - -

Wags - was yours sandhills?

Close. just south of Kindred. I had the creepy crawlys for days

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never have really done spring turkey but my kid for some reason is all about it and MathewsZman is an awesome host so we gave it a shot in the hills last year no turkeys but we saw some cool stuff found this bone pile in the middle of no where.

spring bones.jpg

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
B6304D1C-CC41-4700-B583-2F0261C2A156.jpg
Well it happened how I drew it up. Wifey is happy. First kills with her new Hoyt Santa brought!

- - - Updated - - -

0 ticks ... life is good. Make room for another boat on the river boys!!! Haha

- - - Updated - - -

Ps.s. She used the grim reaper whiteail special. Broke 2 blades... on a turkey anyone else think those are POS??? Never used them before on a side note they were dead on impact basically

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good job! Those ground blinds are the way to go when hunting spring gobblers. You could dance a jig inside of them. I shot a nice Tom out in the western part of the state on Sunday.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
20lb birds don’t take flight based on flimsy cardboard bone structure

some of those bones are built like titanium/ceramic

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
20lb birds don’t take flight based on flimsy cardboard bone structure

some of those bones are built like titanium/ceramic

correct but there a 2" mechanical head designed for 175lb whitetails....from my research there is a solid chance she broke the after the pass through on the ground. so I cant say they didn't do the job and will change my stance from POS to solid turkey broadhead... not sure with setup 48lbs she will use these for deer actually thatll be a hard no enough KE with her low draw weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Good job! Those ground blinds are the way to go when hunting spring gobblers. You could dance a jig inside of them. I shot a nice Tom out in the western part of the state on Sunday.

yeah she actually had to turn 90 degrees push the chair out of the way, kneel on 1 knee and shoot through the mesh. they came from the last direction I anticipated...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75