Frozen in Ice Castle ideas?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thing is just frozen in on top of the ice right? I mean it didn't go thru the ice did it? How thick is the ice under the house? Can't believe you haven't been able to get this thing off yet. Should not have taken more then a day IMO. Get a chain saw and cut around the house as close to it as you can and only go down until you are below the house frame. should be able to get spud bars under it and pry it up enough to block it above the ice and pull it off.

If I am recalling correctly the ice it was sitting sunk resulting in a crack that filled about one foot inside and same outside then frozen in, not just a froze down scenario.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm starting to think it has a nice insurance policy on it and mother nature is supposed to hurry up

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
friend suggested cutting whole thing out of ice and pulling it up on to shore and let it melt

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know what y'all are thinking a few nice days where you are at be the lakes around here still have a couple of feet of snow on them, not like we have had 4 days in 70s , plenty of problems even getting to the lake much less out to a stranded ice castle

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made a lot of progress on it today. Owner built an overhead frame and we had a winch on both sides of it. Used augers and ice saws to cut all the way around it once we had it secured to the frame and the front chained onto a pickup. Got it loose from the ice and raised so the frame of the ice castle is pretty near level with the top of the ice in the back. There is close to 36" of ice around it yet so the augering and sawing took a while. Hopefully will have it completely on top of the ice tomorrow. Need to figure out some way to get a little lift on the front as there is close to a foot of ice stuck to the bottom of it. Owner is thawing the inside ice tonight now that we have it high enough that the water can run out. That will help a lot with the weight of it as there is close to a foot of ice in the entire interior of the house. Slowly but surely!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is good to hear! Hope all goes well tomorrow and that sucker is off the lake. Several guys in E SD who are in similar conditions. Hope everyone gets them off!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Opie,
I sure hope to heck he gets that thing out of there and it turns out well. Here's to good luck finishing and getting it off the ice.:;:thumbsup

Fish On!

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is this dude getting fined ? March 15 was deadline to have houses off correct ?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is this dude getting fined ? March 15 was deadline to have houses off correct ?

Man you’re on a roll on this thread, my goodness.

Opie I think MOST of the members on this site are interested in the updates and hope that the extraction process gets completed with the most minimal amount of damage possible, along with the safety of all involved intact. If nothing else positive comes out of this hopefully it serves as a reminder how quickly bad and dangerous things can happen in the outdoors we all love so much. Hope it all works out for you guys!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am sure you guys are sweating bullets getting it out. Hope everything works out well and you can be over with this nightmare.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about at least 1 picture, don't want to drive 200 miles to see it

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We too hope they are taking pictures of the whole thing. Would be great to see and maybe after it is all done the owner will give his blessing to posting them.
Thanks Opie for keeping us informed as it bothers us too to see a person going through this even though we don't have any skin in the game! It could happen to any one of us.
Just goes to show you that bad things can happen to good people!

Nmariner

Established Member
I would love to see pics just to show how difficult it was. That way maybe a few of the people on here can stop pointing fingers and respect the work it took to remove it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
never posting pics would be a chicken#### thing to do after so many offers to help, ideas, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

is your friend really that thin-skinned that he's worried about razzing etc?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74