Which pickup to buy?

Hammer

JayKay, the wife has a midsize SUV that we use quite a bit, but I've always wanted a pickup and for whatever reason, have never bought one. I've owned several SUV's in the past though, so I get where you're coming from.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't commit to one until you are ready to buy. Look all over, talk to dealers. Make up your mind when you find the better deal or the dealer that's more willing to work with you.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a 2019 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 rental for 3 weeks last month. The worst "road-noise" i've ever heard in any vehicle. I got around 18MPH. I just could not consider because of the road noise coming from the cab vents in the back. Keeping in mind I'm on my third Toyota Avalon. So i would consider myself a Toyota fan.
Might be worth waiting for the new 2020 Nissan Frontier.

https://youtu.be/vrwZSVJA0kY
Forgot about the Nissan Frontier. Man that model is due for an update!

- - - Updated - - -

JayKay, the wife has a midsize SUV that we use quite a bit, but I've always wanted a pickup and for whatever reason, have never bought one. I've owned several SUV's in the past though, so I get where you're coming from.
Once you get a truck you won’t ever want to go without one. There are so many things a guy needs to haul that wouldn’t be so fun in a suv, plus you hunt so a truck is ideal.

Jaykay is only allowed out of the house when Guy takes him fishing...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot about the Nissan Frontier. Man that model is due for an update!

- - - Updated - - -

Once you get a truck you won’t ever want to go without one. There are so many things a guy needs to haul that wouldn’t be so fun in a suv, plus you hunt so a truck is ideal.

Jaykay is only allowed out of the house when Guy takes him fishing...

As nuts as this sounds, guy and I still have yet to meet, face-to-face. One a these days, we'll get to wet a line. Maybe 2019 is the year...

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mine also is a 2018 and has the injector noise but so did my 2016. I get a bit of rearend noise when just coasting but I heard they all do it to. I have had 5 different Tacomas, a Fj and 2 Rav 4s and been happy with all - never left me stranded anyway Lol

Mine does it when driving at 56-58 mph under light/no load. Thanks for commenting.

But at 38-40 mph I can feel a gear vibration at the steering wheel. That too is a cyclical vibration. Meaning neither one is continuous.

It s**** as my 2002 Tundra (v8) had no issues at all. Ran smooth and quiet. 20+ mpg. I really liked that truck.

I get great gas mileage with the Tacoma. It gets 24-26 with city driving. The best I have got on the highway when I took it really easy was 32 mpg. The dealer was like no way. I don't beat/abuse my vehicles. Thinking the mileage would drop dramatically if one started to get a little agressive with the accelerations.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in California for work a couple weeks ago and saw the new Crew cab Ford Ranger. Very nice looking pickup. I'd put it on the list for consideration of a mid-size. Have not seen one at a dealer in ND yet.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If your going to buy new, go out of state, they don't rip you off so bad, guy in town bought one in Utah and the dealer delivered it

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get a ways out of Minot and you will find better deals. I only had to go east 110 miles to make me happy with my deal.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
A few years ago when I was in the market, I wanted the new colorado when it came out. Couldn't wait any longer, so I got a Silverado 1500. That was in 2014, and it was my first truck. It was an extended cab with a 6.5ft box. Man am I glad I went with a half ton. Hunting, fishing, the midsize trucks just don't have enough room unless you're good at tetris.

This last fall I needed more cab space and after a lot of looking I went with a 2019 Ram 1500. Never thought I would drive something other than a Chevy/GMC but damnit this thing really impresses me for the price. Great power, lots of good features, lots of space. Super impressed with it. We'll see how it holds up, but I did go with the extended warranty too just because of all the stuff fancy shit in these new trucks. 7 yr unlimited miles $2100. I can deal with that.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just heard 50% of GMC is currently owned by China. Kinda makes sense why Ford motors cant get the computer chips outa China right now.

I am also quite certain that GMC never paid back the obama loan of several billion dollars back when the tax payers did the old bail out.

Pisses me off that we Americans are just fine selling out the way we do.

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new Colorado's with the Duramax have a towing capacity of 7,700lbs, the Ford Ranger with the Ecoboost comes in at 7,500lbs towing capacity. I'd go with the Ecoboost personally.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big difference in being able to tow it and being able to safely stop it.
I thought back in NoDak when I lived there, there were a lot of people pulling campers, boats, and trailers "way" too fast.
That is nothing compared to what we see down here in AZ. 110 degrees plus sometimes and they are pulling 70-85 mph in the mountains coming up to Payson from the valley. See a bunch everytime we go pulled over with blown tires. It is super hot out and they are pulling their trailers like crazy. Then every once in awhile you see one that couldn't quite make the curve in the switchbacks. Just hope no one gets hurt.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just heard 50% of GMC is currently owned by China. Kinda makes sense why Ford motors cant get the computer chips outa China right now.

I am also quite certain that GMC never paid back the obama loan of several billion dollars back when the tax payers did the old bail out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ge-overseas/ar-AAO1NLt?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds
Looks like not even gm can get the chips

- - - Updated - - -

The new Colorado's with the Duramax have a towing capacity of 7,700lbs, the Ford Ranger with the Ecoboost comes in at 7,500lbs towing capacity. I'd go with the Ecoboost personally.

The colorado diesel will have twice as many miles as the ecoboost even with the def, if the Ecoboost is anything like the older generation most mechanics won't work on them.
The colorado diesel also has another feature called an engine break providing extra support when pulling all 7700.
Ford really shit the bed when they decided to make it impossible to work on the motor with out removing the cab first.
I am really leaning towards the diesel just for the fact that with regular maintenance and some modifications I should get close to real world numbers of 30 mpg highway. Been reading up on some forums and nothing but great reviews coming from the 2.8 duramax deleted.

- - - Updated - - -

I would really like to get the ram dakota with the 3.0 eco diesel but the head office can't make up their mind. When they are going to start production or not

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

GM is a US publicly traded company owned by its shareholders with some of its largest holders being American institutions like Vanguard, Fidelity, Berkshire, Blackrock etc. Now, they do have some 50/50 joint ventures in China to manufacture and sell vehicles in the Chinese market which I'm assuming is where your misleading statistic is coming from.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
GM is a US publicly traded company owned by its shareholders with some of its largest holders being American institutions like Vanguard, Fidelity, Berkshire, Blackrock etc. Now, they do have some 50/50 joint ventures in China to manufacture and sell vehicles in the Chinese market which I'm assuming is where your misleading statistic is coming from.

https://za.investing.com/magazine/american-companies-owned-by-china/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=23845231070910493&utm_content=GM_2_W__&origin=facebook&fb_params

GMC
Headquarters: Detroit, Michigan
Bought By: Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp (Joint Venture)
Headquarters: Shanghai, China

General Motors holds the distinction of being America’s largest automobile manufacturer. As such, it’s also one of the biggest companies of its kind in the entire world, which certainly makes it profitable and appealing.
While General Motors isn’t owned by a Chinese company, it does rely on its partnership with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp to keep the money rolling in. Both of the companies formed a joint venture in 1998. SAIC sells companies under the General Motors name, even if customers don’t realize it. SAIC has its headquarters in Shanghai, while GM has theirs in Detroit.
At its core, General Motors still remains a very American brand with American values, but every company needs a helping hand sometimes. In this case, it’s a beneficial partnership that allows the brand to experience the best of both worlds.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

https://za.investing.com/magazine/american-companies-owned-by-china/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=23845231070910493&utm_content=GM_2_W__&origin=facebook&fb_params

GMC
Headquarters: Detroit, Michigan
Bought By: Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp (Joint Venture)
Headquarters: Shanghai, China

General Motors holds the distinction of being America’s largest automobile manufacturer. As such, it’s also one of the biggest companies of its kind in the entire world, which certainly makes it profitable and appealing.
While General Motors isn’t owned by a Chinese company, it does rely on its partnership with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp to keep the money rolling in. Both of the companies formed a joint venture in 1998. SAIC sells companies under the General Motors name, even if customers don’t realize it. SAIC has its headquarters in Shanghai, while GM has theirs in Detroit.
At its core, General Motors still remains a very American brand with American values, but every company needs a helping hand sometimes. In this case, it’s a beneficial partnership that allows the brand to experience the best of both worlds.
In your own words explain what this copy and paste is saying, and what your conclusion is as far as if GM is "owned" or was "bought" by China?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77