SB 2315 - In Cmte 3/14 - ACTION REQUIRED!

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
39 million acres in ND. Most of that is private. That is how many acres will need to be managed (Yet to be determined, daily? weekly? annually?) They think this is so simple. Its not.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
-No one knows how much this database is going to cost. Not the initial startup or the yearly cost. I don’t even think anyone knows who will be footing the bill. NDGF? North Dakota IT Dept?

-No one knows which counties even have the data or capability to join such a database. No one knows how long it would take to get counties up to speed.

-No one knows how much this will cost each county. Are they going to have to hire 1-2 full time staff to particiapte? No one knows that either.

-No one knows whom in the county decides to enter their county into the database.

-No one knows how often the database would need to be updated.

-What will be the landowner participation in this database? No one knows that either. Remember that if a county opts in and a landowner doesn’t designate his or her land in the database, it’s automatically listed as OPEN on the database. But physical posting still supersedes the database. This ought to not confuse anyone or cause any issues. SMH

-No other state has a database like this. Why? Because it is a costly waste of time.

-No one knows the economic impact this will have to the state via loss of revenue generated from hunting and fishing because mark my words, this WILL affect access and not in a good way.

-if landowners currently don’t participate in plots, why would they willingly advertise their land for public use?

-pretty soon this multimillion dollar waste of money will just show a electronic database of posted land. Don’t even ask. And you can’t even ask because no contact information is required for that category.

The chief information officer for North Dakota was wrangled up to give testimony. He played the new guy card for every damn question he was asked by the dual committees. No one knows hardly anything about this database, but we need to do something by golly, and this is it folks!! This is the answer, spending millions on a costly/logistical nightmare of an electronic "access" database.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure I have ever heard of one state software contract (healthcare, payroll, etc.) that didn't eventually balloon to 10 times initial estimates or worked as well as expected. You read about this type of debacle every other week. Could be wrong. Guess we'll probably find out.

Once again, let's pass something to see how it pans out (or fails to).

dschaible

Established Member
They should just give the contract to ONX, they already have the mapping/land owners with a mobile and web app, ND should be able to provide them with a list and should be able to auto update their maps to whatever color code. Probably wouldn't be very hard for them to implement.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They should just give the contract to ONX, they already have the mapping/land owners with a mobile and web app, ND should be able to provide them with a list and should be able to auto update their maps to whatever color code. Probably wouldn't be very hard for them to implement.
State will never do that. Too easy. The more head hurt you have the more paper you can push to justify your paycheck.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
-No one knows how much this database is going to cost. Not the initial startup or the yearly cost. I don’t even think anyone knows who will be footing the bill. NDGF? North Dakota IT Dept?

-No one knows which counties even have the data or capability to join such a database. No one knows how long it would take to get counties up to speed.

-No one knows how much this will cost each county. Are they going to have to hire 1-2 full time staff to particiapte? No one knows that either.

-No one knows whom in the county decides to enter their county into the database.

-No one knows how often the database would need to be updated.

-What will be the landowner participation in this database? No one knows that either. Remember that if a county opts in and a landowner doesn’t designate his or her land in the database, it’s automatically listed as OPEN on the database. But physical posting still supersedes the database. This ought to not confuse anyone or cause any issues. SMH

-No other state has a database like this. Why? Because it is a costly waste of time.

-No one knows the economic impact this will have to the state via loss of revenue generated from hunting and fishing because mark my words, this WILL affect access and not in a good way.

-if landowners currently don’t participate in plots, why would they willingly advertise their land for public use?

-pretty soon this multimillion dollar waste of money will just show a electronic database of posted land. Don’t even ask. And you can’t even ask because no contact information is required for that category.

The chief information officer for North Dakota was wrangled up to give testimony. He played the new guy card for every damn question he was asked by the dual committees. No one knows hardly anything about this database, but we need to do something by golly, and this is it folks!! This is the answer, spending millions on a costly/logistical nightmare of an electronic "access" database.

That quote would be the best letter to the editor for every newspaper in the state.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Amazing what you can do at work when the boss aint looking. Or if you are the boss.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bump. Committee hearing reopened this afternoon. Curious where its going?

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Apparently it is hitting some bumps. Nothing said yet about a cap on expenditures on this bill so it must be an open ended line item.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the latest info I find, It was posted 16 hours ago in the wahpeton daily news .

In the Ag Committee, we will finish our work soon. Our most contentious bill has been SB 2315, the trespass bill. It would have eliminated the need for landowners to post their land. With amendments to the bill, significant compromise has taken place that will protect property rights and privacy for landowners and allow for improved access for sportsman, hikers and such.

The committee will continue to work on perfecting the bill. Unfortunately there has been inaccurate information about this bill stirring up confusion and controversy. This has some great potential options and outcomes on both sides of the issue.

I encourage constituents to continue reaching out to legislators, following bills and viewing session videos. Without witnessing the making of law in action, in person, it is hard for individuals to fathom the process.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was obviously written by Rep. Kathy Scrotch. Here's her response to my email earlier this month when I expressed my concerns with this bill...
"Peoplewho own lots in town are not required to place “No Trespassing” signs on theirlawns or lots. It is assumed that individuals are not permitted to simply entertheir property. I wonder how they would feel if during parade season (vshunting season) we arrived with our ATV, parked on their lawn and pitched atent, started up our grill, ate, drank beer and threw the cans and our trash ontheir lawn, shot their dog for target practice and as we left did a 6” deepburnout on their freshly planted grass. "

Awesome stuff right there! Makes total sense except the part about how law breakers are still law breakers.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am mostly still on the fence on this one.... blabbing blubbering insanity

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was obviously written by Rep. Kathy Scrotch. Here's her response to my email earlier this month when I expressed my concerns with this bill...
"Peoplewho own lots in town are not required to place “No Trespassing” signs on theirlawns or lots. It is assumed that individuals are not permitted to simply entertheir property. I wonder how they would feel if during parade season (vshunting season) we arrived with our ATV, parked on their lawn and pitched atent, started up our grill, ate, drank beer and threw the cans and our trash ontheir lawn, shot their dog for target practice and as we left did a 6” deepburnout on their freshly planted grass. "

Awesome stuff right there! Makes total sense except the part about how law breakers are still law breakers.

You should reply to her and ask her if people who own lots in town have the same liability protections if someone gets hurt like those in the rural areas have.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should reply to her and ask her if people who own lots in town have the same liability protections if someone gets hurt like those in the rural areas have.

Don't they ? What is the difference in liability protection out in the country VS in town ?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

I keep hearing that, but it's the dumbest thing I hear. No one is camped in her back yard. There is a big difference in someone walking on your property a mile from the house and someone walking on your property only feet from your back door. People who say what she says have a anger issue towards non landowners.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77