Dehydrator recommendations

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey folks. Looking to get a new dehydrator. I suspect a lot of you folks use yours for the same reasons I’ll use mine so I’m looking for what works well for temp control, brands, etc. Thank you kindly.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you plan on drying morals get a cheap circle one and only use it for them. The spores that come off of them get into everything and it will make other things u dehydrate have a little different taste. For everything else I use the smoker or oven to dry with.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought one last fall. Spent about 100$. Can't remember the brand, but it works well. The plastic trays are a PITA to clean if you make jerky on them. I have only made whole meat jerky in it so far, but it works great.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Cabela's commercial dehydrator and really like it. It will heat up to 160 degrees so kills any bacteria in meat. It will hold about 15 lbs of jerky meat.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest thing is getting one that has a fan to help with consistent drying. I had a Cabelas one that used the trays as the door and that was a pain in the pass. I recommend an Excalibur brand and looks like they have some on sale on there website right now.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought one last fall. Spent about 100$. Can't remember the brand, but it works well. The plastic trays are a PITA to clean if you make jerky on them. I have only made whole meat jerky in it so far, but it works great.

If you make ground up jerky, and use a jerky gun, DO NOT squirt it on the racks of the dehydrator. I squirt my jerky onto a cookie sheet and put it into the oven at 225 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes to firm it. Then take a spatula and take it off the cookie sheet and then put it on your trays.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ground jerky is like a over cooked burger. ;:;barf;:;barf;:;barf Whole muscle for this guy.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m with kickemup... but my brother, who is no slouch when it comes to smoking/meat - loves the jerky gun stuff.:;:huh

- - - Updated - - -

To each his own eh?

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why? I have had an American Harvest-Nesco for over a decade and have had no problem squirting meat right on rack. And yes, muscle jerky is better, but some of us old bastards don't have teeth enough for it so are forced to make the ground stuff.
This post is for tikkalover.I replied with quote but it didn't work for me.

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the circle ones with a fan, I still rotate the trays but the salts and sugars in the brine or mix have kept us from getting sick for over 30 years,

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a cheap nesco I think. I have never had any problems with ground jerky sticking from the gun, just squeeze lightly right onto the tray

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 5 rack LEM from scheels and I shoot the ground meat right on the racks and have never had an issue. I’m also curious why it would be a bad idea.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For us toothless old duffers I dry my jerky to shoe leather then run it through a coffee bean grinder. Comes out like snuff so you can put in a pinch and enjoy.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice part of ground jerky is nobody knows what it is. Could be squirrel, raccoon, waterfowl/coot or just a hodge-podge mix:cool:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If your only make a few pounds at a time the nes-co work just fine and the smell will drive your dogs nuts. Mine will just sit and stare at it and drool.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74