Tackle storage

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going through all my fishing gear today at home and realized I have friggin mess. Some boxes have platics and cranks in them, jig boxes have 3 different weight sizes in one compartment. Out of the 30 boxes I have only a few are the same size. I need to make a change and was looking for ideas.

How do you guys keep your snaps, weights, split rings separate? Jig storage, cranks, spinnerbaits, spinners. Damn bottom bouncers are a pain to keep somewhat organized.

What about in the house? Have anything set up special for rod storage, racks for boxes, lure making components?

Boat storage- where do you keep stuff in the boat?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my clevises and swivel type things, I use those circular storage ones that screw together.
Most of my other stuff is in a 3600 or 3700 plano. I will glue the dividers down.
I glue strips of styrofoam in them and cur little slits for my spoons.
Pool noodles are the best rig/spinner keepers.
I label what everything is on the back side with a permanent marker.

Last edited:

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh how the possibilities are endless here. swivels snaps etc. I like to use old prescription pill bottles. space saver and wont spill. tackle buddys for spinners and snells. bottom bouncer organizers from scheels are a life saver. for jigs any old plano works as long as theyre organized by weight, color too if your ocd like me. plastics go into gallon Ziploc bags. crankbaits I love the plano medium crankbait organizer, effective on storage as far as being trays and keeping tangles to a minimum. everything just goes into a compartment in the boat. the FS has got plenty of storage so no need for a tackle bag for me anymore.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
TErminal tackle- the small stuff like snaps, swivels -- daily pill plastic boxes from CVS (thanks Mother In Law)
Bottom Bouncers with arm- roll up bottom bouncer/tool storage bags
No arm bouncers/Pencil bouncers- separate PVC tube for each weight with end caps 1 1/2 - 2" diameter sizes. - label with magic marker
or 3600 or 3700 planos
Lindy's or spinners - noodles or spinner holders then in plano boxes
Hooks - in various SMALL plano boxes then in soft tackle bag with all the above.

crankbaits are all stored in 3600 or 3700 planos sorted by dive depth then color. 0-5', 6-10', 11-15',16-20', 21-25', 26-30', 31' +..........
Do keep a separate box of Rapala original floaters in one or two planos for Hesket plant shore fishing.
Then Crank planos are stored in 2 soft tackle bags by shallow and deep.

Do cram cranks (700 +/-) into planos as many as possible but keep 'em from tangling by using twist ties, tie the hooks of each crank together, less tangles.

fishing line is stored in the side pockets of the soft tackle storage bags.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you have plenty of storage for you tackle. The biggest thing you can do to prevent a mess is have the patience to take the time to put the jig back in the right place BEFORE digging out the crank. Then put the crank back in the right place BEFORE reaching for the bottom bouncer. Those couple seconds you take when changing terminal tackle will save you the hours it takes to fix the mess afterwords.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Keep my stuff in the bag the store put's it in when I buy it

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For those of you using pool noodles, do you cut them down? Seems like they are big diameter and take up unnecessary space. Some smaller diameter pipe insulation might work just as good without taking up as much room?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you using pool noodles, do you cut them down? Seems like they are big diameter and take up unnecessary space. Some smaller diameter pipe insulation might work just as good without taking up as much room?

Using a smaller diameter could use less space, but also affects line memory.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife came out(garage) and wanted to help arrange my tackle. I had to politely ask her to step away from tackle. I have too much damn stuff. I have a hard time taking stuff out of the package as it seems to degrade even without using after that.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife came out(garage) and wanted to help arrange my tackle. I had to politely ask her to step away from tackle. I have too much damn stuff. I have a hard time taking stuff out of the package as it seems to degrade even without using after that.

Yep, I have a few Rubbermaid tubs full of tackle in the package just because of that. I also use the Z-rust and think that does help a little. Also if fishing in the rain, the boxes I use that day are opened up and next to a fan for the night.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bouncers in roll-up bouncer-tamer. I have 2, one ahead of the windshield, one behind. They have 4 pockets. I have 1/2, 3/4 1oz, and 2oz and try not to mix them. I labeled the pockets with a sharpie.

I have snaps in the 3700 boxes I keep #5 and #7 Shad-Raps in as that's my 2 most commonly used baits and they're nearly always out.

I keep a few plastics in "Tackle Wallets", basically large heavy-duty zip-locks in a zip-up nylon pouch. 4-Gal Sterilite totes for "back stock".

I'm lazy about spinners, I buy the Scheels pre-tied in 12 or 25pk w/quick clevis and have a Plano box full of different size, shape, color blades.

I was at a loss for jigs so I googled, "Jig Storage" and found someone had cut pipe insulation down into chunks that fit into a 3700 Plano then stuck the jigs into the foam. I label the top of each slot with a sharpie and draw a line until the weight changes. If I remember correctly the foam pieces are 1.25" tall each, sorry, I can't remember what the inside diameter of the foam. Not my idea, I full-on pirated this one.

IMG_0750.jpg

Nmariner

Established Member

I dont want my wife to know how much tackle I have either

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr ties all my spinners and leaders, then nicely placed them unto tackle buddies

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going through all my fishing gear today at home and realized I have friggin mess. Some boxes have platics and cranks in them, jig boxes have 3 different weight sizes in one compartment. Out of the 30 boxes I have only a few are the same size. I need to make a change and was looking for ideas.

How do you guys keep your snaps, weights, split rings separate? Jig storage, cranks, spinnerbaits, spinners. Damn bottom bouncers are a pain to keep somewhat organized.

What about in the house? Have anything set up special for rod storage, racks for boxes, lure making components?

Boat storage- where do you keep stuff in the boat?

Get a 3700 size tackle bag with trays and start filling those up. If you have a bag that will work I would just order the Cabelas 3700 size tackle trays as it’s best price on tackle trays. I put my spinners in one box via tackle tamers, one box for bottom bouncers and terminal tackle ( all small snaps, hooks, split rings are in small plastic bags, one box for jigs, and multiple boxes for crank baits. To keep my cranks organized and to prevent a tangled mess I use Al’s hook bonnets. Another idea for terminal tackle would be to use stackable jars. The smaller size should fit into a 3700 tray. I use them for my spinner making components.

I have my rods in rod racks. Keeps them secure and not in a tangled mess.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod storage. Couple of pieces of white plastic lattice, that you can get from Menards, or Lowes. Screw to rafter in garage or basement, say, 48" apart. $15, and you have perfect storage for 10 rods, up and out of the way. If the ceiling is finished, first screw the lattice to a couple of painted-white 2x2's.

Slick.

rod-rack 1.jpg

rod rack 2.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is one creepy pic - reminds me of life after divorce

Haha, it DOES resemble that, doesn't it?

Nah, a storage place after cleanout, but before turning into a tv room.

tv room 1.jpg

tv room 2.jpg

Once the electric fireplace and furniture were added, it got pretty comfy and cozy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74