Sharp-tails/ MT

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grouse may not be the tastiest but if cooked correctly pretty good. But so much fun shooting them. Back in early 80’s we got into some crazy hunts. Two Brittanys and six hunters. Birds everywhere.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Western North Dakota had those two major blizzards in early April and end of April. I hope it didn't kill too many birds.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sharpies normally fair pretty well in weather that will destroy pheasants.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
last year Montana was up on sharpies and huns, where i hunt nd opener northeast of Bismark last year was the worst i have seen in 40 years

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree in NE of Bismarck Wing area etc.. was bad dont know why guess drought was bad last year.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beining born and raised in Glendive; I have hunted all over Montana. All wild animals are good table far if handled properly and cooked. Circle/ Jordan north to lake has always been good hunting. I agree block management works great. I know lots of ranchers and friends with ranches so that helps. I will be going out with friends from hometown makes it nice for me to get tags when I have two sisters that live there, so I get tags at resident price. Enjoy the hunt and when done hit lake for great walleye fishing just don't get out their when it rains a lot than fun begins.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found out i drew a Region 7 goat tag so the dogs will be coming with to do some sharptail hunting to. Fall cant get here quick enough!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
montana is alot of fun, been going there for 5 years, I have noticed alot more hunters since covid.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunted 6 days in montana, where i was they had a heck of a hatch, no problem shooting grouse, saw a lot of huns on the road but never flushed any while hunting. tried targeting huns but so many pheasants and heat wasn't worth tiring dogs out. lots and lots of people from everywhere pretty sure i saw 30 different states. The highlight of the trip was meeting a 81-year-old man from nevada in the middle of no where, just him and a big pointer, about 3 miles from any road.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunted 6 days in montana, where i was they had a heck of a hatch, no problem shooting grouse, saw a lot of huns on the road but never flushed any while hunting. tried targeting huns but so many pheasants and heat wasn't worth tiring dogs out. lots and lots of people from everywhere pretty sure i saw 30 different states. The highlight of the trip was meeting a 81-year-old man from nevada in the middle of no where, just him and a big pointer, about 3 miles from any road.
I'm betting there'll be a higher than average number of bird hunters for the next few years, maybe a decade. Big reductions in animals/tag numbers due to hard winters coupled with significant "point-creep", but people still want to get out and hunt so birds it'll be.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75