I am done along with the wife

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I been telling my employer for the last three years I am going to retire. I see he hire a replacement and told me to train. I guess I am done with my work life for other people. From 1969 to 2019 or 50 years.

So the wife and I have what we have as that salary income comes to an end. For those still young at heart I would like to leave one comment about life. Establishing goals.
We never did.

Number of kids: Never did practice any kind of birth control. What came, came and after five kids (three in diapers at one time) she just quit getting pregnant. One time tried one of those wraps from the drug store but could not find one big enough. However she does remember the night she conceive the last kid so if she can remember that, maybe there was some kind of birth control.

Our first was a boy and second a girl. With goals, it probably would have ended at that.

Monies, if there was any goal at first, it was to get to the next paycheck. For others it was their first million at age 40. I do commend those for that. If monies had been a goal for the two of us we probably would of marry someone else, been more aggressive with the jobs, drank less beer, less kids and claimed my share of the inheritance instead of waking away.

I am sure with goals at the start, the life for both of us would have been different.

Three less kids ( a bunch of less grandkids).

Maybe instead of a 97 Dodge (one ton in 2500 clothes, Cummings, five speed, 4.10 gears, positive traction all around, Ram on the hood and have yet to find a Chevy of Ford that I cannot pull around the block while Toyotas do not even ask), a 1977 Cutlass Saloon before the downsize with a five speed manual (both 80,000 miles and finally got the title from the bank of the Cutlass), we would of driven many different vehicles and garage would look different. God forbid if there was not a Goldwing trike (2002) sitting in the driveway, Snowmobiles, those $200 Scorpions were a pain but fun.

But I would have it no different than what it was or is. Yes there are a few other toys but not a million (not even close). Enough to live to 102 and maybe beyond with one or two more rifles (got a Parker yesterday at a gun show that my dad had at one time in the 50s, that meant a lot).

Yes establish goals, it will make a difference when the time comes for those last years. But also understand, goals will change and one will need to change with age, be willing to adapt. Not all were achievable and some were never meant to be. In the end, we were just fine with achieving our goals as none where establish.

Life was and is fine without, even with all its trials and tribulation. db

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Words of wisdom db! Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your insights to life. You are cut from a different cloth and that I respect. You remind me to enjoy the ride and whatever happens happens. That is life.

Your description of your dodge gets me everytime! You love that thing like joe dirt loves his hemi.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to know Im not the only one for whom they dont make condoms large enough...

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Happy retirement & Best Wishes db!! I called it a career @ 64 a year ago. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Nice to have time to fish, hunt, spend time with g kids, and do some gardening / food plots @ hobby farm. Again Congrats!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a great retirement my friend along with your bride! The 2 of you go and enjoy yourselves and finish that "bucket list" and if you don't have one get one started now.
My bride and i (when i am able) fly by the seat of our pants so to speak. We decide to do something and a couple hours later the bags are packed and away we go. My body limits much of what we can do but it is still fun spending time with the other half and enjoying each other and our new found adventures.
We always say we are on an adventure or a journey for the remainder of our lives!
Enjoy life my friend! :;:exactly :;:thumbsup :;:rockit Keep that Old Mill cold. :;:cheers

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
have a good retirement db. my wife retires this spring, no idea when I will.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At first glance I thought this said “I’m done with the wife” and got pretty excited for a classic thread. Anywho, carry on. Enjoy retirement!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been retired for a few years and have no regrets. Do quite a few odd jobs but the advantage to that is I pick when I work. Wife is thinking about retiring soon and I'm thinking when she does I might have to go back to work. To big of a honey-do list when we are both home for the day. Especially when it's been a winter like this one.

I'm a little different than you db, I have 2 kids and sometimes wish had more. Then again when the second was born we thought that was enough. You can't go back and change some things. Not sure how you can plan for some tings in the future. I think I have enough investments and other income to allow me to continue in my current lifestyle. Only time will tell. I'm sure you will keep busy with your hobbies and wish you the best in your retirement.

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can understand why your wife lets you drink old mill everyday

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congratulations! We are happy for you! Like others I am getting one step closer every day, except perhaps mine is hopefully just around the corner.

Hoping you and yours stay healthy and active throughout the years.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words it is appreciated.

Yes brokenback due to drinking old mill since 66 I guess we will stay in the state.

I was to retire in January but the boss said two more months of training. Yesterday I told him the things that need to be done in April and he requested me not to retire in March and consider working the summer. I said no. I need to go shed hunting in northern Canada and in the North Dakota hills for most of April. He said fine go and we will still pay your full salary. Well, maybe.

But that Parker shotgun I just got, I just need to at least write the story for my own good.

When I was around 12 in the late 1950 I was at an auction sale with my dad when he bought that gun for $75. Sometime later my dad gave that gun to a close friend which I knew about. Been a long time since I last held that shotgun. Went to a gun show about a month ago and as I started walking down the tables I seen that shotgun about 15 feet down and knew right away that was the same gun. That friend had die and his kids had no interest and were selling their father's guns. It is a dhe3 model or call a $100 gun back in its day with all the engraving of dogs and birds. The seller said make a offer. He said a couple tables over there is one just like it. Went there and $4,250. Yes Parkers are high price and I guess no matter how much I wanted that back in the family there was no way. So after walking around for an hour I needed to go back and try make an offer. He asked if I knew this person who had own the gun. I said yes my dad and I knew the person that had die and his kids (he said yes). Told him the story of it. He said there is that 1/2" fine crack in the stock (which I knew about) and the butt plate is not right. That is the same butt plate when my dad bought it in the late 50 and yes I believe it is correct as that was an option on that gun. The stock length is correct. But he said because of that he would take $1,000. I had made my mind up to spent $2,000 if needed but assume I would not get. It's a big thing for me to get that gun back in the family. The kids know that my father gave that gun to their father due to his relationship with that person. They know me and the desire to retain that shotgun in the family and not let a stranger get it. As of today they have not cash that check. Fine if they do. I got what I wanted. db

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was thinking some more after my post.

I can hardly wait to write a similar post as yours. One hates to wish their life away and I really do love doing the work I do, but I can hardly wait for the day I retire. It can't come soon enough.

I am so happy for you. Especially as it sounds like you are going to do it right in retirement.

Take care and write a post or 2 about what you are up to.
It always nice to hear about how others are doing.
Even if you haven't met them. You still feel some of the same ways about a lot of things in life.

Dan

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
db- Congratulations on your retirement. 50 years is amazing and I doubt many can say they lasted that long at their job...I know I won't!

Great advice about life in general, something that many of us can take at least one thing from and apply it to our lives. Good luck with the shed hunting and take care of yourself!

PS-loved the story of the Parker.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75