I am done along with the wife

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
shorthair:
Well there were over 20 different employers in that time, four different small towns, a bunch of bars and two different states but mostly in one field. I believe the longest was maybe 12 years at one company. It seems I got lucky and the company I was working for sold on a number of occasions with the new boss telling me it will change and I have nothing to add about decision making going forward as they will now make the decision at their headquarters. But I can say I chopped ice off the Red River for the rail cars and took copper off the telegraph lines next to the RR tracks.

Yes em boss man, you betch you, Met a lot of people and friends over that time. Moving does wonders for one's financial picture. db

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
This post brings up the thinking of if I will ever have enough to retire. The wife and I both have good jobs and we set ourselves up to pay things off early and do have retirement but always wonder if it will be enough. But the last few years we both agree we should live now because who knows if and how we will be at a later age. I watched my father pass away shortly after being able to retire and that has changed my whole mentality. Dammit I am gonna live and do the shit I wanna do now and hopefully I will be able to retire when the time comes! Can't take the money with me and damned if I'm gonna just give it away!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
At first glance I thought this said “I’m done with the wife” and got pretty excited for a classic thread. Anywho, carry on. Enjoy retirement!

It could have blown the doors off “wifes” otherwise known as garage beer.

bronco

congrats on the purchase nice to see things come home. Good luck in all things in retirement. I'm looking to pull the plug next January if I can make it that long. Its hard walking away from your work family. but its the next chapter I cant wait to start....Good Luck

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cringe that i thought the thread would be about an evil female, misery loves company I guess...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck DB

i punched out 4 kids, and would have had more if I was a wealthier man. My favorite is the older kids coming home and drinking an ice cold Busch light with me and telling stories of the crap we did for fun when they were young. A full house at Christmas time is pretty precious too.
I don’t really look forward to retirement, I feel like I will get bored

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i hear people say that all the time that they will get bored. I wont have that problem

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Will one have enough and then getting there one may die before one can enjoy?
Worried about that a lot too Wrkn.

Bulk of our savings came by ourselves and not from a 401 by the boss. Moved to much to get invested.
Bulk of it came the last seven years when I started drawing SS, still working (at that time I began putting 6,000 away each month) kids gone, paying off debt, ect.
I feel I die the day I have to go to the nursing home so the goals for us is to do whatever to stay out and have found old mill will do that. Want to die at home and as long as the wife lives she can do that for me.

It's a balance and yes one needs to enjoy today but needs to make sure there is something when the work stops so your are able to quit early and have funds to work with. I had to work until I was 72 to get there. But 102 is still a ways away.
I have found no matter how much one has it will never be enough unless one understands what life is. db

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not bored yet. This February came close but didn't beat me. I planned financially and will make it quite awhile, but if we do things right, the check we write to the funeral home should bounce.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not bored yet. This February came close but didn't beat me. I planned financially and will make it quite awhile, but if we do things right, the check we write to the funeral home should bounce.

Impossible to be the richest man in the grave yard but some keep trying

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on retirement db-2. For those that think they will get bored your in for a surprise. I can't find time to do all the things I want to. People that aren't retired think I have so much time. There is about six or seven different groups like church for example that think you should volunteer half your life for them. It would take six people to fill all the volunteer requests. With knees so bad you can't walk they still want you to do all kinds of things for them.

One ironic thing that has happened to us is we purchased a 37ft 5th wheel to spend time down south. Then a few years ago we bought a small 21ft travel trailer to go to Alaska. The oldest son was very sick for two years before he passed away so that never happened, but that little camper is so handy we use it more than the large one. It's been down to Utah, Nevada, Idaho and a half dozen other states.

I'm looking forward to two new knees in two weeks. In my dreams I'm hiking the badlands again. In my dreams I'm carrying a 50lb backpack again. The next toy on the list is a drone with a quality camera. Then it's hook up that small camper and photograph all the waterfalls along the Columbia River Gorge. Wolf hunt Montana next fall if the knees work. This is year 12 into retirement.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PG
I knew from you your son was hurting but did not know he passed away. Sorry for that. My son hurts too but still alive, we both worry every day of that day that may come. I hope we are gone before he is and will wait in heaven for him.

And we did park our 5th wheel in a permanent spot and our now looking for a small camper, may need to be a single axle in order for my Goldwing with training wheels to pull. Take care.
Zogman:
Cleaning my shop and tools is on the bucket list and not that I have that many tools but not one is where it should be so that may take two days if not a week depending on many things. db

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG
I knew from you your son was hurting but did not know he passed away. Sorry for that. My son hurts too but still alive, we both worry every day of that day that may come. I hope we are gone before he is and will wait in heaven for him.

And we did park our 5th wheel in a permanent spot and our now looking for a small camper, may need to be a single axle in order for my Goldwing with training wheels to pull. Take care.
Zogman:
Cleaning my shop and tools is on the bucket list and not that I have that many tools but not one is where it should be so that may take two days if not a week depending on many things. db

Well that's one thing that lets us Christians suffer less. My son was a believer so I am sure I will see him again. All that is required of me is patience. One of the reasons I need good knees again is to make sure my grandson gets to do the things his dad would have had him do.
It's interesting your looking for that type of camper. We were headed to Fargo to watch our grand-daughter in skating competition and buy a single axle camper. On our way into town my wife says we have never checked out that camper sales (Adventure Land). We pulled in and they had a used camper that you would think no one had ever used. It had been owned by a local banker. Instead of the little refrigerator it had full size. Instead of the little wall airconditioner it had the roof mount. It also had tandem axle torsion suspension, and the banker had a custom hitch to haul his Harley. Now were looking for a 24 ft because we want a sofa.

I have been so busy I have not cleaned my shop for three years. If you get to bored Zogman I have a week long project. :;:howdy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76