MT Combo Applications

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have some private land to hunt on? For the most part, the MT deer tag SUCKS.

I agree. $660 to shoot a 145" seems ridiculous to me. Most expensive, least quality deer hunt you can buy in the West. Still, I'm sure my dumb ass will buy another tag again.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana non resident price gouging makes me question hunting as a hobby. Ridiculous.

I'll be re thinking future out of states hunts out of principal.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
after adding up what i spend on gear and hunting stuff a 1000 bucks really is not that bad if a guy saves and makes it a priority. Compared to owning a boat it is cheap

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
after adding up what i spend on gear and hunting stuff a 1000 bucks really is not that bad if a guy saves and makes it a priority. Compared to owning a boat it is cheap
I agree . Since I’ve been going to Montana I spend a lot less $ on crap , instead of sitting in bars on the weekend I have a beer at home . Lots of ways to cut back to save cash

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It really doesn’t have anything to do with affordability to me. It’s the blatant disrespect as described by our Montana friend a page or two back.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have to agree on the making it a priority and saving up part.

A boat is tangible. Get more smiles per dollar with a boat as it lasts 20 years. ;)

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It really doesn’t have anything to do with affordability to me. It’s the blatant disrespect as described by our Montana friend a page or two back.
His statements were definitely less than helpful. I have to say, since I've moved here I've noticed one thing about the middle/western part of the state. I'm way more outraged by the nonres hunting pressure than anyone else is. Must be the ND in me. No matter where I go, I bitch about nonresident hunters

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A boat is tangible. Get more smiles per dollar with a boat as it lasts 20 years. ;)

That's one of the largest conundrums in life: Does one put their $$ into "Having" or "Doing"?

Splurge on a boat because you can use it locally and relatively inexpensively, or scrimp/skip the boat and pay for fly-in, guided, or tropical fishing adventures?

Go on 5-7 western big-game hunts or save that $$ and go to Alaska, Canada, Africa, Argentina, etc?

There's no universal right or wrong answer either, nor is it just about hunting/fishing.

Does one purchase a dwelling that's well within their means so they can also afford "toys and trips", or does one splurge on the home because you have to live there every day so you might as well enjoy it?

The list goes on and on and you have to make your own right answers.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
People complain about the Montana prices but obviously there’s no shortage of $ cuz there was a huge demand for tags

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
People complain about the Montana prices but obviously there’s no shortage of $ cuz there was a huge demand for tags

I distinctly remember the great wailing, moaning, and gnashing of teeth that happened in 2011 when MT got rid of all guaranteed outfitter tags, put all the tags into the general draw, and raised the price to $900-something for the big game combo tags. There was an enormous amount of:

"MT can piss up a rope, I'm never going to pay that for a tag" blah blah blah.

All that really did was contribute to the point-creep everywhere else, and, sooner or later, folks get sick on sitting on the couch because they can't draw a tag and the attitude changes to:

"Cripes!! Where can I at least go hunting this fall?"

Fly Carpin said:
I have to say, since I've moved here I've noticed one thing about the middle/western part of the state. I'm way more outraged by the nonres hunting pressure than anyone else is.

I suspect that because most of those folks know that the vast majority of NR's don't influence or inhibit how or where they hunt. There's an enormous number of folk who haven't the 1st clue what to do with a critter they've killed if they're unable to "Drag it to the truck".

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of three 170 plus deer coming off public land with the general tag they got in mt

I said "for the most part." Yes there are always a few big ones shot and a few little honeyholes. Those are by far the exception though. When every MT resident can buy a buck tag, there aren't many big ones around. Imagine if every ND resident could buy a rifle buck tag OTC.

I have private big ranch to hunt . Yet I’ve taking some good bucks off public too . Well good to me I guess . 22-24” wide 140-150” muleys . Not big but decent . Lots of deer in most areas and tons of public land and 11 week season that to me is a great tag plus it’s good for either species
Everyone is always saying how great the 11 week season is. How many NRs are out there hunting for 11 weeks? It is a great tag if you just want to go out, see a bunch of deer and whack a 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck. It's unreal how many forkies are there. If you want to see quality, you're way better off bowhunting the badlands.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75