MT Combo Applications

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you fellars dont like the NR MT combo tag cost you can just keep hunting ND and maybe get a whitetail doe tag every 3 years. If you want to hunt a state where you can legitimately fill your chest freezer every year with delicious elk and deer meat, than pay the 1K and quit your bitching! The almost 8 million acres of block managent (PLOTS for you ND folks) that I get to hunt every year is largely funded by your NR license dollars so keep it flowing! The annual allocation of non resident tags will be filled via this lottery or left overs after this lottery so we will get you guys either way. Just be happy you guys got a state next door where big game opportunities are plentiful and there are massive expanses of public land to hunt! Once all your guys' private is posted you will appreciate the 30+ million acres of public ground the great state of MT has to offer and the 1K combo tag will seem like a bargain!

Translation: We like having nice things. We just think someone else should pay for it.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you fellars dont like the NR MT combo tag cost you can just keep hunting ND and maybe get a whitetail doe tag every 3 years. If you want to hunt a state where you can legitimately fill your chest freezer every year with delicious elk and deer meat, than pay the 1K and quit your bitching! The almost 8 million acres of block managent (PLOTS for you ND folks) that I get to hunt every year is largely funded by your NR license dollars so keep it flowing! The annual allocation of non resident tags will be filled via this lottery or left overs after this lottery so we will get you guys either way. Just be happy you guys got a state next door where big game opportunities are plentiful and there are massive expanses of public land to hunt! Once all your guys' private is posted you will appreciate the 30+ million acres of public ground the great state of MT has to offer and the 1K combo tag will seem like a bargain!

Please know that some North Dakotans do appreciate what Montana has to offer and we're not all a bunch of whiners. In any state, to buy a NR elk and deer tag will cost around $1,000+ so MT really isn't any different from every other state. I wish they would change their deer management but there are endless opportunities for both deer and elk. Not many places where you have a 5-6 week archery and rifle season. That's both good and bad but the opportunity is there. Beats the hell out of drawing ONE elk tag in ND in your life. IF you're lucky...

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member

Your resident fees need to increase it’s a joke what little it costs for a resident to hunt . And your right we the NR fund FWP . And FYI it’s easy to draw buck tag in nd every year I’d you apply in right areas several units are 100% draw . Your also right about block management, what a great program , there’s tons of land for everyone to hunt and enjoy . I just think Montana manages too much for opportunities, there ain’t much for mature deer on public land .

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Draw results are available. 900-20 for this guy.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s a great archery permit . Congrats . I font denied big game combo with 1 pp. very surprised . Oh well I’ll enter the alternates list draw and if that don’t work I’ll buy a leftover cow tag

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing for me. Turned down for 2nd year in a row. Elk and deer

U must not have bought the $50 preference points . Having said that I bought 1 this year and didn’t draw . I should be a lick next year with 2 but who the f knows anymore . The demand for Montana tags has gone from very little to through the roof

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone who's applying for deer, elk, or combo just got "Meeloshed" into lower draw odds. Good thinkin'.

1st time since 2011 I haven't drawn a Big Game combo tag. I blame Meelosh. ;:;banghead :mad::mad::mad:;:;rant;:;rant;:;rant;:;badidea;:;badidea;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

- - - Updated - - -

Draw results are available. 900-20 for this guy.

Next year, and every year thereafter, no more reminding folks who can't remember on their own ya flippin' lug nut.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hope, from the very bottom of my soul, that the tag I drew, would have been yours had I not put in.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coworker pulled the 380-20 elk permit in the Elkhorns after 22 years of trying. I struck out on first choice deer and elk permits, but I did score a cow permit for the unit I can see from my house

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coworker pulled the 380-20 elk permit in the Elkhorns after 22 years of trying. I struck out on first choice deer and elk permits, but I did score a cow permit for the unit I can see from my house
Congrats to him ! Post pic when he gets a stud

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

And that's 22 years as a resident!? How many of those permits do they give out to non-residents, like 2? I might have to start putting in for some different permit areas.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
And that's 22 years as a resident!? How many of those permits do they give out to non-residents, like 2? I might have to start putting in for some different permit areas.

4 regular nonresidents and 1 landowner nonresident got permits in the Elkhorns last year. I'm sure you're aware of this, but here's a link to elk draw stats for the last 14 years.
https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/drawingStatistics

Annotation 2019-04-24 080823.jpg

Last edited:

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have some private land to hunt on? For the most part, the MT deer tag SUCKS.

I have private big ranch to hunt . Yet I’ve taking some good bucks off public too . Well good to me I guess . 22-24” wide 140-150” muleys . Not big but decent . Lots of deer in most areas and tons of public land and 11 week season that to me is a great tag plus it’s good for either species

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75