Moving out of state and hunting licenses

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never met a game warden who didn't answer a question by stating the law. That doesn't mean they don't have some discretion in applying the law when they come across something that isn't exactly kosher.

A good question is "What about snowbirds, winter Texans, etc?" My guess would be they have to have an established residence at either site and make sure they don't try to buy a resident license in each state. Other things that establish residency is voting, drivers license, things that indicate you are living there permanently. Bills like water, sewer, electricity, taxes, don't necessarily count as it is legal to own a house in more than one state. Hell, people buy motor homes in ND, license them in MT (no sales tax) and then live in them in the south while maintaining resident status in ND. Someone asked "How are you going to get caught?" Exactly, you go to a game check station, show them your ND Driver's License, your ND Moose,elk, whatever license while driving a pickup with ND plates, who's going to check further?

Was riding with a guy in another state when we went through a DUI checkpoint. Driver showed a license from a different state than we were driving, driving a car licensed in yet another state. 3 different states involved and all the officer cared about was "Have you been drinking tonight?" "No", "OK, go ahead."

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i was moving within a month or two of the hunting season and was still going to have my valid ND drivers license and license plate i wouldn't worry about it. If that was my plan i wouldn't be posting anything on social media including this question if you already know the answer.

Last edited:

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF you have a North Dakota drivers license and North Dakota plates on your vehicle, the chances of being caught are very slim, but I didn't take the original question as asking if you would be caught. The fact is that once you move out of the state you are no longer a resident. There is such a thing as dual residency, but I am not sure as to the specifics of how that works.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm shocked at how terrible the residency definition is on the NDGF website. I guess not a lot of people try to push it; but the vague definition they provide seems like they are really leaving the door open for it to be abused. I agree that even if you move the day before the season, you are no longer a resident. There are legitimate and legal ways to get around it however.

It's probably a combination of the non-resident guide requirements and the PFD but our residency qualifications are extremely well defined up here in two pages of State Statute. As for the snow bird question - we are required to be domicile in the state for a minimum of 90 days annually to retain residency up here; along with about 100 other requirements in unison. Me and my wife are thinking of doing traveler work soon and I've really been digging into trying to keep my AK residency so this is an interesting conversation!

I know a guy that is a lifelong Alaskan that finally drew his Kodiak bear tag last month (to hunt fall of 2019) and he was reassigned to the lower 48 by the military during the time between the application deadline and the time draw results were posted. He will have to eat that tag....

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ND should be like MT and WY when it comes to tags. If you move from one of those states and you already have the tag then you are still able to use it. ND needs to get with the times and I assume it’s all the gray hairs at the game and fish that are resisting any change.

I suppose if you keep your ND drivers license and ND license plates then no one would know any different, but according to the law you wouldn’t be legal.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you draw a tag or 2 you can just give them to me!!........................:;:smokin................;:;rofl

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF you have a North Dakota drivers license and North Dakota plates on your vehicle, the chances of being caught are very slim, but I didn't take the original question as asking if you would be caught. The fact is that once you move out of the state you are no longer a resident. There is such a thing as dual residency, but I am not sure as to the specifics of how that works.

If i was moving within a month or two of the hunting season and was still going to have my valid ND drivers license and license plate i wouldn't worry about it.

Someone asked "How are you going to get caught?" Exactly, you go to a game check station, show them your ND Driver's License, your ND Moose,elk, whatever license while driving a pickup with ND plates, who's going to check further

What is disturbing about some of these comments is, people are trying to promote illegal hunting activities.

What part of, the day you move out of state you are no longer a resident, don't you understand.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed !!!!!!!! Just some more ammo for proponents of you know what. And the crazy thing is the OP already has the answer.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where or when you are a resident somewhere is always a grey area. Delt with this selling insurance. In that case it boiled down to what address social security had on file.

When I moved to Nd I drug my feet a little getting a ND driver's license. I got two tickets in a pretty close time span and on the second one they gave me driving without a valid license. The cop said that since I lived and worked in the state I had to have a ND driver's license immediately. Even though the MVD website said 90days or somthing like that.
I got my ND license and they dropped the ticket.

If I drew one of those tags I would do everything in my power to stay in the state until after the hunt. Moving would just cut into scouting time.

Fordboy

If you go out of state for schooling you still can be a ND resident. If his wife gets accepted to veterinarian school can he follow her and still claim to be a ND resident? I thought I have heard something like this before and he could still be a resident based on the education part. I dont know the official answer on that part.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is disturbing about some of these comments is, people are trying to promote illegal hunting activities.

What part of, the day you move out of state you are no longer a resident, don't you understand.

Does it say this anywhere on the GNF website or proclamation? I honestly couldn't find anything other than the quote i have included below. If you've lived in ND and had residency for over 6 months but have recently moved and not done anything to apply for residency in another state, or possibly not even sold your home in ND yet, it seems like they couldn't prove anything on court. You make it seem like its a cut and dry answer somewhere in the proclamation? To me it seems like a lot of gray area.

A person who has actually lived in, or maintained his or her legal residence, in North Dakota for the past six months

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all depends on how you identify. Residency isn’t one or the other. It’s fluid
I thought gender was too but......…...well you know some would argue that with me.

- - - Updated - - -

persoanlly doesnt every moose/elk head have to be tested for that viscous disease known as CWD? your a grown man do as you wish but it seems your leaving a paper trail asking to be caught.....especially since you just asked on an internet forum

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have friends that have houses in 2 states. One ND/MN and the other in Florida. The IRS told them they have to be in Florida for 6 months and 1 day to claim Florida residence or 183 days.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I called Game and Fish and got the answer, but curious as to what you guys think?

If you already got the answer from g&f then why are you asking for opinions?

Just wanted to hear what some initial thoughts were. To me, my initial thought was, if a guy is moving that late in the year, after paying state taxes, blah blah blah for 6 or more months, a resident license should be good, hell why can a guy that just moved here buy a resident license after 1 month?
Especially if moving to a state where getting residency takes awhile and most likely wouldn't happen in time to get in on that states lotteries and seasons.

I called and they said as soon as I move out of state, my residency is gone and so is any valid resident license that I had. I'm not going to try to buck the system or anything, just wanted get it straight. If thems the rules, then thems the rules.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If thems the rules then thems the rules. Might be true but there is no place that I've found that thems rules, is them's rules. Only an interpretation of a very gray area. As I've mentioned with my conversations with the G&F, and I support them just about 100% of time, questions such as (these usually come from Hunter Ed. students) "What if I shoot once and 2 ducks fall and I now have 1 duck over my limit?" Answer is always "You are responsible for what you shoot." True, but at the same time if a warden believes your story they have the discretion or a ticket or not. Have seen many instances where wardens have used their judgement instead of the strict letter of the law.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just be "in the process of moving" for awhile.....not officially "moved" until the season is over. Thumbs Up

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So if I go on an extended vacation did I moveto a temporary residence and no longer have residence in ND? No wonder why I cant get a resident deer, elk, moose, or bighorn tag!!!

They will say what they want you to know to comply to make their jobs easier.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75