Moving out of state and hunting licenses

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So as life goes on, my family and I might be moving out of state. My wife is waiting to hear back from Veterinary schools, but I have a feeling regardless of acceptance or not she is ready for a change of scenery (milder winters).

If this does happen, it would be later in the summer, late July or August. My question is, what would happen if I applied and drew a moose or elk tag?

I called Game and Fish and got the answer, but curious as to what you guys think?

My first thought was, I was a resident for at least 6 months of the year, a resident license should be good for that year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe once you move with the intent of establishing residency somewhere else, it's like burning your passport and you no longer can call yourself a ND resident and partake in hunting seasons as a resident.

I might be mistaken on that though as I've not had to test that theory.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this does happen, it would be later in the summer, late July or August. My question is, what would happen if I applied and drew a moose or elk tag?

I called Game and Fish and got the answer, but curious as to what you guys think?

My first thought was, I was a resident for at least 6 months of the year, a resident license should be good for that year.

Guessing they told you once you've claimed residency elsewhere you can piss up a rope.

So by your last statement it looks like you believe ND G&F owes you a parting gift for leaving?

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i were in your shoes, I'd apply and IF I got drawn for a tag I would wait until after the season to change your residency.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i were in your shoes, I'd apply and IF I got drawn for a tag I would wait until after the season to change your residency.

Good plan, until ND G&F sees pics online and looks back to this thread.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you claimed a resident for the past 6 months at the time you applied, you're good to go for this hunting season, if you get a tag.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

^^^THIS^^^ Also, I would claim an ND residence all the way through season. Either keep paying rent or establish an address somewhere. I would be ready to be able to prove it some way.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^THIS^^^ Also, I would claim an ND residence all the way through season. Either keep paying rent or establish an address somewhere. I would be ready to be able to prove it some way.

That $30 license will cost more than a guided hunt on private land if you're paying rent to keep residency until Dec. Now you're thinkin'.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't change your driver's license until after the season. Also, I wouldn't do anything that would easily establish residence in another state (purchasing a resident license in that other state) for example.

Not sure what laws you have broken if you were a legal resident at the time of the drawing but haven't read up on that part of the proclamation either.

Just read the proclamation: It says you are considered a resident if you have lived in the state for at least 6 months and have not continued residency in another state during that time. (Not word for word but that was the most of it.) Continuing residency does not apply that i can see because you have no where to continue from. Moving is after the fact,not continuing

Since you have lived in this state longer than that, I assume by your question, you are a resident at the time of the drawing. It does not say, that I can see, the 'what if' about moving to another state during the time of the drawing and the actual hunt.

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It all depends on where your residency is at the time of the hunting season.

Are you sure? Just applied for my elk/bighorn licenses and they only requirement I saw was the residency at time of application. Did not find anywhere about residency at time of hunt. Do need resident combo license, or at least General Game, but you can buy those next week and they are good for a year.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
This happened to me, And came from Bruce Burkett, the head of Law Enforcement of N.D.G.F. dept. The day you move out of state you give up your residency and either turn in your tag for a refund or leave it unused.

It doesn't matter if you move to another state and not considered a resident for 3 or 6 months. You are no longer a N.D. resident. It sucks but that's the law and you cant argue or try reason with them. Believe you me I tried.

If you move the day before deer season opens, By law you cannot use your tag as your no longer a resident.

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you claimed a resident for the past 6 months at the time you applied, you're good to go for this hunting season, if you get a tag.

Nope. Speaking from experience, this ain't the case.

- - - Updated - - -

This happened to me, And came from Bruce Burkett, the head of Law Enforcement of N.D.G.F. dept. The day you move out of state you give up your residency and either turn in your tag for a refund or leave it unused.

It doesn't matter if you move to another state and not considered a resident for 3 or 6 months. You are no longer a N.D. resident. It sucks but that's the law and you cant argue or try reason with them. Believe you me I tried.

Yep. Speaking from experience, this is the case.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think you just have to some how maintain a residency in ND through the season. I would think this could be done through a driver's license and address. Change you ND address to a relative and dont officially become an out of stater till 2020.

Some of you guys that winter out of state with a house in another state how do you do it. You can have multiple addresses in multiple states but where you claim residence is where the issue is. Not sure how that is done.?

But I'm sure the wording the gf will give you is law and all law is not black and white.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you already got the answer from g&f then why are you asking for opinions?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's be honest, the chances of getting caught are very slim unless someone rats you out.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of you guys that winter out of state with a house in another state how do you do it. You can have multiple addresses in multiple states but where you claim residence is where the issue is. Not sure how that is done.?

That was my big argument with Bruce. I dont remember how he phrased it, it still didn't matter.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member

That was my big argument with Bruce. I dont remember how he phrased it, it still didn't matter.

Sounds like residency is a gray area and will be determined by courts if it goes that far, but doesnt stop the guys that have boots on the ground (wardens, cops, etc.) To use the wording to scare the public into complying how they want you to act. The court system decides if you broke the law or not. Le only investigate, issues situations and/or makes arrests in some cases then leaves it up to the courts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76