Line vs. Rod, where do you like your "Give"?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying not to muddy up someone else's thread.

Regarding fishing walleyes on live bait, where do you like your "give"? Yes, some day's they'll just inhale live bait and it won't matter, but, a lot of day's a person is "playing" a fish into a successful hookset.

IMO/IME, I catch more fish when there's some "give" that allows the fish to take the bait with minimal detection. I prefer softer rod-tips and mostly 0-stretch line as that allows me to at least see and often times feel what's going on below. Other folks like to use mono/flouro and a stiffer rod. And a few (I used to be in this camp) want little to no give in the rod or the line.

So, rod, line, or "set-to-kill" upon 1st bite detection?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the same. Soft tip and Power Pro.

I have started to use flouro leaders for rip jigging with improved success. When rip jigging I set my drag to click 1 or 2 times on a hard rip.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I learned in the last two years I prefer a soft tip/sensitive rod combined with power pro or a zero stretch line. If the water is clear, i'll add fluoro leader. The odds of me ever fishing mono again are slim to none during open water.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For jig, I like 6lb sensation with a light, but very quick action. With rigs, I run sensation or XL with a softer tip.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
zero stretch line, maybe a leader. Let the rod (and you) decide how spongy to play the fish. With spongy line you just turn the crank on the reel (it seems like) - no adept control of the situation.

I'd rather lose 20% of my hookups and have 90% more fun by feeling every muscle twitch and lurch - Ha ha ha.

Most of that is certainly "in my head" and I'd probably catch more using line with more give... but I'm out there to feel it - so to hell with spongy line.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For muddin', I like a 6' long, ultra fast tip and good backbone for the rod with no stretch line and a floro leader. The "give is in the terminal half of the rod and maybe the leader if I make it long enough. When dealing with overhanging trees and brush, I can't get away with a long rod most of the time and I need the backbone to deal with fish in current, so this is my compromise and it seems to work out pretty well.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the thread it was my next question I was asking myself!:;:thumbsup

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always run a rod with soft tip for every application. No stretch line on cranks and jigging rods, live bait I still use mono.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sensitive that I can feel them lick my bait.

Does that mean 0 stretch and extra-fast tip?

I know that with my jigging rod (6' light IMX or Avid) I often see the tip/line jump without feeling the bite.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m a chronic line watcher... sight beats feel. If the wind is “just wrong” so I can’t see it I feel lost. Even tight lines jump or otherwise change the bow.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does that mean 0 stretch and extra-fast tip?

I know that with my jigging rod (6' light IMX or Avid) I often see the tip/line jump without feeling the bite.

Yes, no stretch and extra fast tip. Legend Xtreme ML-M 8-12lb no stretch for lakes 15lb PP super 8 slick for the gnarly Red.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
medium - medium heavy bass rods with p-pro ---

a. i only catch the big ones
b. less snags
c. after a while you just learn how to run em - fish dont bounce off

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Ha Ha!!! soft tip for jigging raps!! lol this makes me laugh from a late trip to the Hook this fall while EVERYONE was flexing there muscles snagging a fish here or there on 10 dollar jigging raps we were done in short order on Lead!! follow the leader!!!!!! lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75