Buy New Boat out of State - Pay Sales Tax?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am purchasing a used boat from a dealer in MN, how does that work? I assume I am already paying tax on it in mn? So I don't have to in ND to license it? Or when I go to license it wont I need to show that I paid tax on it somewhere? Im confused have no clue how this tax shit works.

Talk to your dealer, there's no reason to pay MN sales tax on it if it's going to be registered in ND. MN sales tax is higher than ND, so you can save a small percentage on your tax if you can talk your MN dealer into doing the paperwork correctly. I bought a used boat from a dealer down by Cabela's back in 2006, I think I ended up shaving around 1.5% off the sales tax rate by filling out a form and stopping up at the Capitol to pay my ND sales tax. Didn't someone a ways up also say that you can now pay the sales tax through NDGF when applying for your registration? That's not going to save you any money so much as it will cut the hassle of going to the capitol and then having to take their form to NDGF.

- - - Updated - - -

The dealer in MN will likely charge you MN tax-some don't (I don't know why). When you apply for registration at game and fish, include a copy of your receipt-MAKE SURE the receipt is itemized and clearly shows MN tax paid-and you won't have to pay tax in ND.

If they want your business they'll figure out how to let you drive away without paying MN tax.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just did this on Monday. You have to take a copy of purchase agreement to the 7th floor (Tax Commissioner) at the capital and pay %5 plus a little extra for which ever county you store it in. (Burleigh county was like $37.00). They will give you a form and receipt to take to NDG&F and get licensed for just this year $12.00.
Out of state dealer will not charge you sales tax if you don't reside in said state.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a buddy moving in from mt... does he have to pay sales tax on a boat he bought used last year to register it here???

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope, no tax on used boats bought/sold private party or registrations coming in from another state

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71