Buy New Boat out of State - Pay Sales Tax?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does this work if a guy purchases a new boat from a dealer in say MN, does he pay MN sales tax, North Dakota sales tax, or none? Since ND does not require boats to be registered thru the NDDOT to display a tag, does G&F get involved with collecting sales tax when you register the new boat?

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll have to fill out a form with Game and Fish that will licence and tax your investment. Figure @ least 4-6% of the total paid will be what you'll pay in taxes. If I remember right its $35 for 3 years of registration.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDGF will not license a boat that you don't have a sales tax thingy from the ND Tax Commissioner's office. This is for commercial purchases, private party still doesn't need you to pay sales tax in ND.

Basically, if you tell the MN dealer that you are going to license it in ND, you will not have to pay MN sales tax. However, if you do that you will want to make sure you pay the ND tax and not try to scam the system, lest ye get into trouble.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen...I would never try to...well maybe...no I mean I would never try to pull one over on the tax man!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen...I would never try to...well maybe...no I mean I would never try to pull one over on the tax man!

Yeah, I did this exact thing back in 2006 (so it's been a little while) and the writing of that check to the tax man seemed to hurt even more than it did to write the check to the dealer for the boat. Just make sure you talk to your salesman ahead of time or you could get stuck in having to apply for a MN refund and still pay the ND tax as you await the refund from MN.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Allen said. If it is a used private party sale, no tax is owed if licensing in ND.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note, back in 2006 I had to go to the State Capitol to pay the tax on the boat. I am not sure if you can now pay it through the local NDGF office. It would be nice to not have to make two stops.

bronco

Actually you do owe the tax man on a private sale also, however ND leaves that to a honor system. So they wont come looking for but you do still owe it. I called the tax office on this once and that's the answer I got from them

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually you do owe the tax man on a private sale also, however ND leaves that to a honor system. So they wont come looking for but you do still owe it. I called the tax office on this once and that's the answer I got from them

False...this is directly from ND tax dept website.

Watercraft purchased from a private party is considered a casual sale and is not subject to state and local taxes. If the watercraft was purchased from a private party, please attach a copy of the receipt for the sale to the watercraft license application submitted to North Dakota Game and Fish. The receipt should include the seller's name, address, description and purchase price of the watercraft and the seller’s signature.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
so basically have your wife buy the boat, then buy it private party sale from your wife. Boom tax free done deal!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i obught a new boat out of state and i thought i could pay sales taxes at the dmv. guess i was wrong,

Smuscha

If you buy a new boat out of state you don’t pay that states sales tax. When you get home you will end up cutting a check to North Dakota for sales tax before game and fish will issue you a license. You will need a sheet of paper from the tax people to send to the game and fish. For some reason 7% comes to mind on the sales tax you pay. You only pay this on the boat not the accessories that go along with it like graphs, trolling motor, etc so get a broken down sales list from the dealer this will also be sent to the tax office. It’s been a few years since I did mine so don’t quote me on the %. Like said before that check sucks to write as much as the dealer check

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like a car. My kid bought a brand new car for cash. They sent him to DMV where he paid the tax boat u pay it with a form. Basically 5% local tx is limited due to amount. We're so used to somebody withholding tax we become oblivious to how much we pay. Sales tax just think how much of a rip-off it is as the prices increase sales tax increases and then they want to increase the rate. Ugh. Wonder what v man's sales tax was on day big ole range

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worked out a deal with Riverfisher...no license, no trailer, minor scraps on the bottom, tow rope to drag behind vehicle, no need to visit G&F or tax office....Seemed like a believable guy to me.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you buy a new boat out of state you don’t pay that states sales tax. When you get home you will end up cutting a check to North Dakota for sales tax before game and fish will issue you a license. You will need a sheet of paper from the tax people to send to the game and fish. For some reason 7% comes to mind on the sales tax you pay. You only pay this on the boat not the accessories that go along with it like graphs, trolling motor, etc so get a broken down sales list from the dealer this will also be sent to the tax office. It’s been a few years since I did mine so don’t quote me on the %. Like said before that check sucks to write as much as the dealer check

so are the tax people you speak of the Dept. of motor vehicles?

620ranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
its going to be 5% on the dollar probably more if you wait for the snowflakes to try to get office

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am purchasing a used boat from a dealer in MN, how does that work? I assume I am already paying tax on it in mn? So I don't have to in ND to license it? Or when I go to license it wont I need to show that I paid tax on it somewhere? Im confused have no clue how this tax shit works.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
So I am purchasing a used boat from a dealer in MN, how does that work? I assume I am already paying tax on it in mn? So I don't have to in ND to license it? Or when I go to license it wont I need to show that I paid tax on it somewhere? Im confused have no clue how this tax shit works.

The dealer in MN will likely charge you MN tax-some don't (I don't know why). When you apply for registration at game and fish, include a copy of your receipt-MAKE SURE the receipt is itemized and clearly shows MN tax paid-and you won't have to pay tax in ND.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74