Baiting Ban

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what are they going to do about situations like this?

ta2Wh2b.jpg

drive up 83 from Bismarck right were you turn to head to riverdale look to the east. that cornfield had 150-200 coming home from the tailrace last Saturday. if they think baiting 6-8 deer is gonna help to reduce the spread of CWD but know this will happen 2 months later im AM Literally speechless. I could drive the GF right now to 5 spots that I know of with 0ver 100 deer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in 2007 through Executive order, the President instructed the Department of the Interior and Department of Ag to work together getting something done about CWD. It was called the Facilitation of Hunting Heritage and Wildlife Conservation Council. USDA has APHIS (Animal Plant Health Inspection Services) or the laboratories. Good stuff. Our agencies working together.

But then Obama got elected.
He appointed Sally Jewel head of DOI and Tom Vilsack head of USDA.
They stacked the Council.
Here it is:

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/pressreleases/jewell-vilsack-announce-appointments-members-wildlife-and-hunting
The Secretaries announced the appointment of new and returning individuals:

• Jeffrey Crane (Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation)
  • Whit Fosburgh (Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership)
  • Wayne Hubbard (Urban American Outdoors)
  • Winifred Kessler (The Wildlife Society)
  • Robert Manes (The Nature Conservancy)
  • Frederick Maulson (Great Lakes Indian Fish & Wildlife Commission)
  • Robert Model (Boone and Crockett Club)
  • Miles Moretti (Mule Deer Foundation)
  • Collin O’Mara (National Wildlife Federation)
  • Joanna Prukop (former New Mexico Secretary of Energy, Minerals & Natural Resources)
  • Stephen Sanetti (National Shooting Sports Foundation)
  • Land Tawney (Backcountry Hunters & Anglers)
  • Christine Thomas (College of Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin)
  • George Thornton (National Wild Turkey Federation)
  • John Tomke (Ducks Unlimited)
  • Howard Vincent (Pheasants Forever)
  • Larry Voyles (Arizona Department of Fish and Game)
  • Steve Williams (Wildlife Management Institute)

They never got any new money for CWD research, did nothing for wildlife and spent most of their time like PrairieGhost demonizing farmed elk, deer and exotics. Eight years of that shit.

But you have to love Trump. He dumped this rotten council and replaced it with the Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council:

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secretary-zinke-announces-members-hunting-and-shooting-sports-conservation-council

Chris W. Cox, executive director of the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action

Jeff Crane Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation President

Lawrence G. Keane
Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation

Don Peay
Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife Founder

Dan Forster Vice President & Chief Conservation Officer, Archery Trade Associations

Mike Budzik former Chief ODNR Division of Wildlife

John Devney
Senior Vice President, Delta Waterfowl

Dale Hall CEO of Ducks Unlimited

Miles Moretti
President & CEO of the Mule Deer Foundation

Hunter Graham Hill

Blake Henning
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Chief Conservation Officer

Trig French
National Co-Chair NRA Hunters Leadership Forum

John Green

Eva Shockey
Outdoor Channel Host

Julie Golob
mith & Wesson Pro Shooter and Consultant

David Spady President of the Liberty and Property Rights Coalition

Bob Model, Chairman of the Boone and Crockett Club

Collin O’Mara
President and CEO, National Wildlife Federation

There are still a few bad actors here but Boards are supposed to be balanced. However, right now there is legislation coming called the Chronic Wasting Disease Transmission in Cervidae Study Act. The Farmed Elk, Deer and Exotics are helping other orgs/agencies push for $15 million for CWD research. All money to research.

I believe we have a real shot at this with David Bernhart at the helm of Department of the Interior and Sonny Purdue at the helm of Department of Ag.

Thank you Donald J. Trump!!!!!

Good post and I agree with most of it. To bad you have to always whine about me. I guess I could give you reason, and say yes I think cervid farms are disease factories.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two days ago earthjustice, defenders of wildlife, sierra club and the national wildlife refuge association sued the US Fish and Wildlife Service to stop feeding the on the National Elk Refuge.

https://www.publicnewsservice.org/2...to-end-disease-spreading-elk-feeding/a65872-1

[h=1]Groups Sue Feds to End Disease-Spreading Elk Feeding[/h]
share-this-article.jpg
play.jpg

getimage.php

printicon.jpg

Concern is growing that artificially feeding elk on the National Elk Refuge could become a catalyst for chronic wasting disease in the Mountain West. (Diane Borgreen/USFWS)
March 20, 2019

HELENA, Mont. - With the threat of chronic wasting disease spreading, conservation groups are suing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to jump-start a process to phase out supplemental elk feeding.

The agency's decade-old commitment to phase out artificial feeding in Wyoming's National Elk Refuge has stalled, and the groups say the agency needs to act soon because these feedlots are breeding grounds for disease. The most serious concern is chronic wasting disease, which has spread to at least 24 states, including Montana.

Bonnie Rice, a senior representative with the Sierra Club's Our Wild America campaign, said CWD was detected in a deer in Grand Teton National Park near the refuge.

"Given the threat of CWD and the fact that it's on the refuge's doorstep," she said, "it's really inexcusable, given the advance of this disease and the role of feed grounds in spreading disease, that the Fish and Wildlife Service hasn't taken action."

Rice said the disease already could be present in the refuge.

CWD, a cousin to Mad Cow Disease, is a degenerative brain illness that always is fatal. Feeding began at the refuge more than a century ago to sustain elk through the winter and resolve conflicts with ranchers feeding livestock.

Fish and Wildlife officials did not respond to a request for comment.

Geoffrey Haskett, president of the National Wildlife Refuge Association, said CWD can get into the soil and infect wildlife. He said that's a problem in the Wyoming refuge, where more than 20,000 elk have access to the feedlots in winter.

"If they're all clustered together in such a large group in such a small space, it will just take off like crazy," he said. "So, it's been a concern for many, many years. It's not going away and something just needs to be done soon to disperse the animals, to not have such a terrible thing just waiting to happen."

There also is concern the disease could jump to humans, although that has yet to happen.

The lawsuit is online at earthjustice.org.​

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The elk on the National Elk Refuge at Jackson Hole Wyoming also have Brucellosis. They travel out of Yellowstone National Park. Inside the Park the buffalo have the disease too. Brucellosis is a curable disease. Young females are bangs vaccinated every year until the old carriers (host animals) have passed.

There in lies the problem, how to vaccinate "every" animal? If it could be administered orally then by all means feed them during winter. Brucellosis has been eradicated on the North American Continent except Yellowstone. The last remaining reservoir. What are federal and State wildlife agencies doing about Brucellosis? Nothing.

If a cure for Chronic Wasting Disease is to be had, it has to be oral. An injectable antidote would do no good according to the example above. I had this conversation with Bob Kellum (moderator from nodakouthouse) years ago and he said it is not the fault of Yellowstone elk and buffalo because whiteman brought Brucellosis to North America. I replied, "that is true and another truism is that whiteman brought small pox. Where is smallpox now?"

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
52 dead deer later, and that is a big deer that KX used in the article.

Attachments

Capture.jpg

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
So they slaughtered a bunch of deer? What did they do with the meat?

- - - Updated - - -

Probably drove around with a 30 rack of BL smoothies pitching them in the ditch here and there

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
WILLISTON, N.D. - Samples of deer taken by targeted removal two weeks ago south of Williston have all tested negative for chronic wasting disease, according to Dr. Charlie Bahnson, wildlife veterinarian for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.
Following the detection of CWD in a deer found dead in February, Game and Fish removed an additional 52 deer for testing.
"It was really important to figure out how big of a problem we had on our hands," Bahnson said. "These test results are the best we could have hoped for, given the circumstance. We now know that CWD is there, but infection rates appear to be low."
More information about CWD and regulations regarding CWD are available on the Game and Fish website at gf.nd.gov.

- - - Updated - - -

"taken by targeted removal"

ha ha ha - I love vague PC language

Founding Member
Founding Member
CWD
Where the G&F's across the country's cure ALWAYS kills way more deer than the disease...WTF???

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. 15 reported cases in the state??? And they killed 52 to do some tests?!? I’m not wrapping my head around this stupidity. Holy sh#t. How do we survive as a species being this dumb?

Fifteen had cwd and only one of them looked sickly, the other 14 were perfectly fine and shot by hunters. Hardly seems like a problem. The one that was sickly could have easily been dying of something other than cwd. This is crazy

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I heard that on kfyr the game and fish tested 50 more deer and none positive. It should have said the gf blatantly killed 50 deer to support their agenda that has no scientific evidence and confirmed its isn’t a big deal...... uff da

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Again I do not deal with this like game and fish does but over the years I have never understood a lot of things those book leaners do. Kill all the deer to stop the disease when the disease lives forever in the soil. How does that work.
Lets kill 52 deer and see what we find. And then to report it like that is not a problem doing and it was the right thing to do so not only the 52 but the offspring are gone to.

For me I went to our main food plot and the farmer up there stated their were over 500 deer there. Yes they move in on me every spring but I doubt 500, but maybe, Today there were over 100 mid-afternoon and last year I did count over 300 without counting those in the trees.
Have not found a dead deer on the ground but sometimes there remains are all gone, only some hair. Walk (sorry if you feel I put stress on them but most snow is gone) next to the deer and they all look good and health. Fur looks good. Feeders were all empty as I have not been able to get up there lately but will now. Need to get some protein and energy into them however, they do eat very little out of my feeders this time of the year.
Clover and alfalfa looks green and in good after winter condition. Planted evergreen are still all green. db

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lead poisoning would be my guess.

how many grains of "lead" do you suppose??
or do they go with the lead free version such as the barnes pill?? so the meat doesn't go to waste and it could be fed to familys in need you know because the government wouldn't waste anything would they?

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope they used Barnes, but they probably just cut off the heads and the rest went to the landfill. Can't be consuming suspected CWD meat.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]Bill proposes $15M for chronic wasting disease research[/h]

Legislation introduced this week by U.S. Reps. John Joyce and Glenn “GT” Thompson, among others, would allocate $15 million more for research into a contagious neurological disease that causes fatal brain damage in deer, elk and moose.
H.R. 2081, the Chronic Wasting Disease Research Act, would amend the Animal Health Protection Act to establish a grant program for research into chronic wasting disease and authorize $15 million for the program, according to a press release issued Friday by Thompson’s office.
The legislation would support research under the United States Department of Agriculture by land-grant universities, state departments of agriculture and other eligible research facilities to find a cure or vaccine for chronic wasting disease, according to the press release.

“Chronic wasting disease is devastating deer, elk and moose populations in Pennsylvania and other states in the U.S.,” Thompson, R-Centre, said in the press release.
“We don’t know enough about this neurological disease, but we need to in order to ensure healthy deer populations and prevent it from spreading further. This bill increases our investment in research to find out what causes this fatal disease and how we can cure it.”
Joyce, R-Blair, who previously locked horns with the Pennsylvania

Game Commission over its plans to cull deer in the region in order to examine whether lowering the deer population could control the spread of chronic wasting disease, said in a separate press release Friday that the bill “will ensure Congress allocates sufficient and timely funding that will incentivize the innovation necessary to cure this terrible disease amongst our region’s deer.”
“For the past couple of months I have heard from countless hunters from Blair and Bedford (counties) about chronic wasting disease and the problematic actions the Pennsylvania Game Commission took to address it,” Joyce said. “While I recently offered an initial solution by cosponsoring legislation to implement a federal study to find a cure for the disease without harming hunters in (Pennsylvania’s 13th Congressional District), we can do even more on this issue.”
Joyce was referring to H.R. 837, which he cosponsored in February and which he said “instructs the Secretaries of Agriculture and Interior to partner with the National Academies of Science to study and identify the ways (chronic wasting disease) is transmitted between wild, captive and farmed deer.”
The other U.S. representatives to introduce H.R. 2081 were Filemon Vela and Henry Cuellar, both of Texas, according to Thompson’s press release. The bill was introduced Thursday and referred to the House Committee on Agriculture the same day.

​Any money appropriated towards CWD should be for research. Not monitoring.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76