Taxes

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I recently got divorced and my Ex would do our taxes every year...I am looking to try it myself but asking for recommendations on do it yourself programs..i.e. HR Block,Turbo tax etc...My situation is pretty simple...2 kids(we decided we would each claim one) not self employed but I did just start working from home for my company so I have heard you can write some stuff off like utilities?....Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm self employed and use my house as a office. A certain % of my utilities I can right off. Not sure on exact amount. I pay someone to do mine. I look at the 350$ it cost me to do my taxes as piece of mind.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive used all of them in the past but like credit karma the best. It's easy free and they walk you through everything. Just set up an account and go plus you get your credit score and credit fraud watch.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I've used TurboTax for about the last 10 years. No complaints here, generally a pretty good walk through and description of every step.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I recently got divorced and my Ex would do our taxes every year...I am looking to try it myself but asking for recommendations on do it yourself programs..i.e. HR Block,Turbo tax etc...My situation is pretty simple...2 kids(we decided we would each claim one) not self employed but I did just start working from home for my company so I have heard you can write some stuff off like utilities?....Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers!

Since you are not self employed I don’t think you can itemize that. Did you fill out a 1099 or a W4? If you work for a company and don’t have a 1099 then you are probably better off taking the standard deduction than itemizing. The new tax law limits what can be itemized so it doesn’t work out for most people.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wife and I have been employed for years, not self-employed. When the houses were paid off, the deductions for Income Tax went with it. It takes a lot of deductions to come up with an itemized list to surpass the standard deduction. We both had hospital insurance as a part of our pay, so medical wasn't enough. I think we are pretty generous with donations and that didn't make up the difference.

Everyone is a little different but with today's standard deduction, without home loan interest or day-care, I would guess most won't itemize. Pays to look into it, but after several years of doing that I've even convinced my wife that I am no longer going to go to the work of looking through everything that we can itemize. Hasn't been worth the time.

Warning: This most likely will not apply to younger families with day-care and home loans.

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks all for the feedback! I actually went and used Credit Karma...Was very easy and Free....

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck on your taxes and also better luck on your next marriage whenever that will be.
Hope you are lucky enough to find a bride like i did the second time around! She is a gift from God i always say!

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck on your taxes and also better luck on your next marriage whenever that will be.
Hope you are lucky enough to find a bride like i did the second time around! She is a gift from God i always say!
Thanks....Not sure that will ever happen..I bought a new hunting dog a few months ago I call that a good trade off :;:rockit

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went and found an old piece of dog shit laying in the gutter after my divorce. I call that a fair trade.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
E3D4E30D-081F-42B4-93D1-F27B25F0E0F6.jpeg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
wage earner and i done my own since 1970. yes maybe missed a thing or two and have ended up amending returns a time or two and a two or three times irs has threaten for me to give up my rocks to them but have always won.

So thought i should get mine done tonight which i did, had wife sign and put in evelope. Have SS and another retirement check coming in so no deduction for taxes and ended up writing checks out for 3 months worth of take home pay. NO i do not make that much to afford that.

I guess maybe this summer i will see if i can use one of those free ones to put the numbers in and see how in compares to what i sent in. who knows but based on comments on here i feel it is time to try this summer, maybe, depends on if the summer gets in the way. db

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'm a relationship guy... i deal with 1 banker, 1 insurance guy, 1 car salesman, 1 financial adviser, and 1 accountant... i have dealt with all for at least 10 years, some 25... i regularly sit across the desk from them and discuss what's up... in the internet age i don't feel comfortable working with someone in india who's (looking out for me), or whoever comes up next in the queue, or someone who will be flipping burgers after the tax season...

just got ours back today - the wife walked in with her jaw scraping the floor - i was scared... she said can this be true??? i looked and said yes - we have a really good accountant... i mixed a drink... a 4 digit check (left of the period) is a joy to write on april 15th... :;:cheers

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we wrote our check to the IRS this year i put on the bottom, to be used to build the border wall.
Will see what happens!
I just hate tax time just for the fact of what we pay in every year and then see these low lifes not working collecting welfare and living off our dime. They should be drug tested and if able to work make them go pick up garbage in the ditches and the streets. They will soon find out they can go get an easier job for more money and will get off the taxpayers dime. Don't mind helping someone out for a time who is down on their luck or who are REALLY unable to work. But these other sumbitches can kiss my behind!

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we wrote our check to the IRS this year i put on the bottom, to be used to build the border wall.
Will see what happens!
I just hate tax time just for the fact of what we pay in every year and then see these low lifes not working collecting welfare and living off our dime. They should be drug tested and if able to work make them go pick up garbage in the ditches and the streets. They will soon find out they can go get an easier job for more money and will get off the taxpayers dime. Don't mind helping someone out for a time who is down on their luck or who are REALLY unable to work. But these other sumbitches can kiss my behind!

Expect an audit.....haha.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrote my check out last month, not one thing changed but cost me 3300 more than last year. The tax man said I can thank the dipshit in the WH and his new tax plan for the increase. *I paraphrased what he said in my words*

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76