Manitoba taking steps to protect Lake Winnipeg Fishery

Jim Carroll

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like Manitoba is finally moving in the right direction to protect Lake Winnipeg...Commercial fisherman may opt for a buyback on their quota's.

[FONT=&quot]"Effective immediately, until March 21, the province is offering a voluntary commercial fisheries quota buy-back option. Commercial fishers can make Notifications of Interest to sell their Individual Quota Entitlements (annual allowable catch) to the province. The province will then retire the purchased entitlements in order to reduce the amount of commercial catch taken from the lake every year."[/FONT]

https://www.hookedmagazine.ca/hot-n...ECXKAO2MKKEdXdLe0rTKME7vVKP2ubvp-aM-aKItXpous

On a personal and selfish note I really wish everyone would stop buying walleye in supermarkets or ordering it at restaurants. Almost all those fish are from Lake Winnipeg or the Canadian side of Lake Erie- both places I love to go fishing! How about that? We all just go fishing!

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

https://www.hookedmagazine.ca/hot-n...ECXKAO2MKKEdXdLe0rTKME7vVKP2ubvp-aM-aKItXpous

[FONT=&quot]"The Manitoba government will offer the option of voluntary Individual Quota Entitlement buy-back, and introduce new commercial and recreational fishing regulations intended to help assure sustainable fish populations in Lake Winnipeg, Sustainable Development Minister Rochelle Squires announced today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We are seeing early warning signs the sustainability of fisheries resources in Lake Winnipeg is at risk,” Squires said. “By acting today, we will ensure the ability of Manitoba’s great lake to generate food, provide enjoyment and support economic growth in future.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Effective immediately, until March 21, the province is offering a voluntary commercial fisheries quota buy-back option. Commercial fishers can make Notifications of Interest to sell their Individual Quota Entitlements (annual allowable catch) to the province. The province will then retire the purchased entitlements in order to reduce the amount of commercial catch taken from the lake every year."

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/pubs/fish_...1v8t-LsCsFEym0oTYsWf1Sk4wfxCpplY120LaH1m_RrfM

LAKE WINNIPEG MEASURES TO ENHANCE SUSTAINABILITYManitoba Sustainable Development is developing a multi-phase sustainability plan for theLake Winnipeg fishery as part of its department mandates to “develop a strategy to securethe certification of Manitoba’s commercial fisheries” and “develop comprehensive sharedmanagement strategies in consultation with First nations, Metis and licensed hunters andanglers to give local communities a greater voice and ensure long-term sustainability ofour fish and wildlife populations”.[/FONT]

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
"On a personal and selfish note I really wish everyone would stop buying walleye in supermarkets or ordering it at restaurants. Almost all those fish are from Lake Winnipeg or the Canadian side of Lake Erie- both places I love to go fishing! How about that? We all just go fishing!"

I tell all my none fishing friends this. I tell them almost all the walleye comes from lake Winnipeg and the lake is unbelievably polluted and the fish are neon green. I then show them pics of my fish and tell them although i fish there there is no way i'm eating fish from that lake. Turns them off pretty quick

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Almost too little too late. When they allowed the net sizes to increase it caught many of the trophy fish that brings the fishermen to Lake Winnipeg. They should just pay the fishermen to not fish at all because the fish are more valuable for tourism in the region. They really screwed the pooch.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
After fishing up here the last two days you wouldn't have to convince me to hard that this lake is netted out already #$%^&>. Man has it been slow fishing

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76