How to sell a boat

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much as it pains me, I want/need to sell my boat, a 1992 Alumacraft Classic Deluxe. It was my grandfather's. He gave it to me when he moved into assisted living about 8 years ago. At the time it had been kept under a tarp and was in pretty darn good shape (still is) for a 29 yo vessel. The boat motor was blown (stupid cousin) and it hadn't seen the water for over a decade.

I put a new-to-the-boat 1997 40 horse Johnson on it that purrrrrs like a kitten. Swapped out the old depth finders for a new down imaging Bird. Updated the bow mount to a 60 lb thrust Minn-Kota. Cleaned it up nice. Fixed one of the seats that dry rotted. Replaced the trailer lights. Added some rod holders. The whole 9 yards.

What I've found, unfortunately, is that with two kiddos in daycare, a two-stall city garage, and honey-do lists that are never ending, my time and space are limited. And even when we do get out (twice last summer) it's crowded. It's a three-person boat tops. Four is pushing it and makes for not-so-fun outings (even if the persons are half persons a.k.a. children).

I'd like to sell it and not lose my shirt in the process. I've seen POS versions of this boat going for $3,500, so I'd think $5,000 is fair. Then again, I'm not in the boat business. Does it make sense to start higher? I'm assuming the closer I get to May, the better my odds of moving it.

Anything boat guys look for specifically when buying a used boat? I have a title and it's licensed in Nodak.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put it on Bisman. You cant pist too many pics! Open compartments when taking pics

eliminator

Honored Member
I agree with Rowdie and used BisMan online myself and sold a boat pretty easily. You need pictures and I would also look up a book value for what you have. There are books for older outfits. If you price it too high you will scare people off. What you see people asking for boats is not necessarily what they are selling them for also. I guess it depends on how bad you want to sell it. You are right in that now is a good time to get it listed.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep get it on Bisman and CL for sure because there are always people looking for a good used riverboat in the spring. Id say $5,000 is a decent starting point, but you may not get that.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sold a boat in a similar price range at this time last year; wasn't getting a lot of interest on Bisman after a couple weeks and ending up posting on a couple facebook groups - Minnesota Boats for Sale and Walleye Boats under 10K and that generated a lot more hits (you do get lots of tire kickers), including a buyer from the Mpls area who drove to Bismarck to buy it. Think you have a lot more market for that type of boat in MN where people want a 'fishing boat' for their cabin to go along with their pontoon or other toys. I think you'd be hard-pressed to get 5k for a boat like that, but without seeing it's tough to say.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put lots info and pics. I think 5K is steep but I'm just being a grumpy fella...that's honest. Electronics won't bring you what you spent. If its decent, you'll find buyers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the refurbished Mr. Pike ad on bisman. Now that's how you sell a boat.

with the exception of not rotating pics

o_e7bc81e368f3f45ac6ff0d012a2528be.jpg

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Patience! Not a way to sell it but it will be required. I had my pontoon listed on several sites for an entire summer and half of the next. Only fielded roughly 4 real inquiries about it in that timeframe, but when the right one comes they'll take it.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
boat.jpg

#guyneedstolearncomputersskills

Hey------do it right for crying out loud.....geesshhh

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
do what? rotate the pics in his ad for him?

Well, at least you could have rotated it when you put on here on this forum...geee...lol
That dude that put on bisman should have gotten a message telling him to do it right or get off the computer.....
Nobody wants to look at sideways pics...I have even seen them upside down...they need an ass chewing...lol

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how you could possibly lose money on something that was given to you?

Of course, not knowing the details on the electronics, what I see here is a 27 yr old boat with a 22 yr old motor. While condition is everything in older vehicles, I'm guessing $5k is going to be out of the reach of most people looking for a boat of that generation and size.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the help! Gave me plenty of food for thought. Like I said, I don't know if I'll get 5. But I'll list it for that and hope for something close.

I had pics at one point on NDA. I'll see if I can dig them up.

- - - Updated - - -

35540853_10103125061229335_2616165228257214464_n.jpg

18403366_10102397250143585_2006512932910192693_n.jpg

13516331_10101867163212045_6573289984935561250_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, not the best pics of the actual boat. What you can see is pretty clean, though! Seats are in amazing shape for the age. The thing still has a windshield (for some reason, side console boats all seem to be missing those).

Made a ton of awesome memories. Son and daughter both caught their first fish out of it. Great grandpa Vern (not the boat's original owner) and my son went fishing I think for the last time a couple years ago. Haven't been able to get him in it since grandma's Alzheimers got bad and she was put in a home. Maybe this summer -- if it doesn't sell first.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you decide to do is up to you but, I can't help but see the smile on that little guys face and think that in a few years when he says he wants to go fishing you'll wish you found a way to keep this boat. Possibly find a farm somewhere close to your location and offer the landowner some cash to keep it there out of his way. It just reads like you have some great memories with this boat and could be regretting selling this down the road.
good luck with whatever you do,

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76