Used cell phone

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son has proven to be irresponsible. Shocker, I know. He needs a phone so I can get ahold of him, internet so he can find ways to finish his homework and that's about it. If anyone has a older one lying around(not to damaged) let me know what you would like for it.

I'm in Bis but travel around a bit.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ran my last personal phone till its death and my work phone to pretty much the same at this point after about 5yrs on each so I'm no help.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Budget? You can buy non-current phones new, for cheap prices. Example, my whole family had iPhone 5's, bought in 2012, we just got rid of them because after 7 years of use they were shot. We all got iPhone 7's for $300 each, brand new. If you have that option from your carrier, i'd go that route. then you don't have to worry about how many toilets a used one has been dropped in.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting subject...but off topic here, but still phone related. I got 2 flip phone lying around, what you do with those now adays?...one is mine original and the other is one that was found at the race track years ago under the grandstand, never found the owner, I also got an older samsung where the screen slides away for the keyboard. Can I make a few bucks off these?

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting subject...but off topic here, but still phone related. I got 2 flip phone lying around, what you do with those now adays?...one is mine original and the other is one that was found at the race track years ago under the grandstand, never found the owner, I also got an older samsung where the screen slides away for the keyboard. Can I make a few bucks off these?

If you're in bismarck, Epic Tech will take them and dispose of them. I'm sure any cell phone repair place will take them.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decent phones occasionally at state surplus fairly cheap, many are very lightly used...

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Budget? You can buy non-current phones new, for cheap prices. Example, my whole family had iPhone 5's, bought in 2012, we just got rid of them because after 7 years of use they were shot. We all got iPhone 7's for $300 each, brand new. If you have that option from your carrier, i'd go that route. then you don't have to worry about how many toilets a used one has been dropped in.

That's what I'm debating. Most phones I have bought have been $600-$700 but then I get $300 in gift cards from Sam's. Warrenty claim is $200. New glass and digitizer is $200-300. Just thought I would look around since it seems I'm getting someone a new phone every few months.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son has proven to be irresponsible. Shocker, I know. He needs a phone so I can get ahold of him, internet so he can find ways to finish his homework and that's about it. If anyone has a older one lying around(not to damaged) let me know what you would like for it.

I have a phone I bought about 5 years ago just because I needed an unlocked phone to get a phone number for my VOIP land line. After I got the number I transferred it over to my home system and the cell phone didn't have a number anymore. I already had a Tracfone so I didn't need the cell phone anymore. All it needs is a Simm card and you're in business. It's unlocked so you can use it with any provider or plan from what I understand. If you're interested I'll dig it out and post pics and specs. It's literally brand new since I only had to install a Simm card to get a number on it then transfer the number out. It's in the original box with all the paperwork. Think I paid about $50 for it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got my flip one about a zillion years ago and it works great even with the crack lens, no sound and some other minor problems.
Then I plan to bring it to the grave in case I might need it there then. I just do not trust those there dead ringers they put on graves with the string to one's grave from the bell.

Tell the kid to shape up or do without. I did as a kid, never brother the parents if they could not get a hold of me and as a kid I thing that was better that they could not. Taught me to be responsible and that is what you are after no/yes.
And I might of been in the middle of something important in the back seat and then the phone would ring, no thanks. No internet either then but did have and still have my slide rule. db

- - - Updated - - -

and then there are times one does not want to know where the damn kid is.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Go to walmart and grab a cheap straight talk phone, they have some smart phone for 30 bucks. I would get him a clunker if you dont want him to be on it all time! Service is 35-45 a month for straight talk also

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well Well, since this topic hit the boards this week....guess what.....my iphone decided to take a puke last night (battery) I was on it for like 5 minutes surfing FB at 60%.......for like 5 minutes...boom goes down to 23% just like that....so I put it on the charger before I went to bed, this morning..nada .I had the battery replaced once already at batteries and bulbs, think they charged me like $80-90 bucks. I'm not understand why my batteries are not lasting...I see other people dinging around on theirs for hours with no battery issues. Real sick of charging it every night.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to walmart and grab a cheap straight talk phone, they have some smart phone for 30 bucks. I would get him a clunker if you dont want him to be on it all time! Service is 35-45 a month for straight talk also

I was actually ready to go buy a phone from Wallmart. We went in there and I asked the guy about a phone he said they are all in the back. I asked then could you go get one. He said he wasnt authorized. So I asked if someone else could. He said not u till someone who's trained comes in. I left and reaffirmed my hatred of that shithole.

With my company I get huge discounts on my contract plan so I'd rather keep him on that.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you are going to buy a phone with internet for homework then you are going to be buying a smartphone with all features. Can't really buy a smart phone for only making calls and surfing the web and nothing else. I would suggest a very good and affordable motorola G5 or G6. Should be able to pick those up new easily for under $200, unlocked. Very good phones for the money. Moto G6 is comparable to a iphone 7 but with the advantage of being able to add a ton of memory and have bigger screens. A used iphone 7 is going to be more money than these are new.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have replaced both kids phones (sons twice) and wifes by purchasing newer phones on facebook marketplace from individuals. All have been great transactions and way under the price of new. Just got my son an iphone 8s (?) for $150 in like new condition. Make sure that it is with your current carrier if locked, or have the unlock it first.

I was hesitant on the first one but not anymore.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on how brand loyal you are, I picked my son up a new Galaxy S7 up on Ebay for about $180 before Christmas. I say stay one-two generations out of date and you will be fine with whatever you choose.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it was me he would be getting a flip phone and a library card until he gets it together.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75