Tires- recommendations

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I liked Duratracs on my 1/2 Ton and on anything lighter I think they'd be great.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got Hankook tires on the pickups now, been good tires, get the 10 ply ones, but will always say that Goodyears are the best

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am seriously considering the Duratracs for my F250, but am a little concerned about them throwing rocks like NDSportsman mentioned. I tow an expensive boat and am worried about beating it up. For those that have them, do the Toyo CTs throw rocks as well? I am also looking at the Cooper ATIII. I have heard good things about their traction. It looks like they might just throw smaller rocks haha. I am not really concerned about the tread life, just want something that will grip and not beat up my vehicle. Thanks.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am seriously considering the Duratracs for my F250, but am a little concerned about them throwing rocks like NDSportsman mentioned. I tow an expensive boat and am worried about beating it up. For those that have them, do the Toyo CTs throw rocks as well? I am also looking at the Cooper ATIII. I have heard good things about their traction. It looks like they might just throw smaller rocks haha. I am not really concerned about the tread life, just want something that will grip and not beat up my vehicle. Thanks.

Loved Duratracs on my F150. HATED duratracs on my F250. To me they felt like driving on marshmallows, even up to 80# of air pressure.

On my '06 F250 I had:

BF Goodrich LongTrail (factory): Great on road, didn't throw a lot of rocks. Shitty on the ice/snow.

Duratrac: I took them off in less than 1Mo. The worst was driving on 55-65MPH 2-lane roads with enough curves that there are posted speed signs to slow for the curves. IMO, very unpredictable as to when they would "set" in a corner.

BFG ATKO: Great traction in all conditions, ONLY downside, they throw a lot of rocks.

'11 F250:

Continental Conti trac (factory): butter-smooth and quiet on-road w/good MPG, shitty traction on anything other than dry pavement/concrete.

Nitto Trail Grappler: Great in mud, wet, wet/heavy snow. Shitty on ice/packed snow. Loud, robbed mileage (~2MPG on Hwy.), and threw rocks.

BFG ATKO 2: Traction even better than originals, still throw rocks.

Nitto Exo-Grappler: Best packed-snow/ice traction that I've had on either F250. Very stable, even w/only 65# of air. Maybe 1 MPG mileage loss over factory street tires. They don't throw a lot of rocks, but, sometimes they'll throw some pretty decent sized rocks. Cannot speak to longevity, however, I've got ~20K on them and still have 13-14/32nds. They are noisy. They're 10ply rated and have 3 sidewall belts instead of 2 like most tires so the ride is firmer, but, IMO/IME that also makes driving (cornering in particular) more predictable/stable. I have these on a set of rims and run them Oct-Apr.

Nitto Terra Grappler: Underwhelming. Throw just as many rocks as ATKO2, traction isn't as good. MPG is good and noise isn't bad. I can't speak to longevity yet as I only have 1 summer on them. Have to run them @ 75# or more air or they're squishy feeling. I wouldn't buy them again.

I realized lots of Nitto tires on the list. Nitto is a USA subsidiary of Toyo. I consider Toyo to be a top-tier tire manufacturer. Nitto tires are Made in USA so I tend to look there 1st.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
BF AT KO2 currently on my Tundra, love them they are at about 50k right now so probably will get new tires this fall, looking to go back to Wrangler ATS, went through a couple sets of them on my previous suburban and loved them, not as a aggressive so better on highway/pavement but still enough bite to handle some off roading … I just don’t drive enough off road to justify aggressive tires…but I do love the BF AT KO2’s they do ride extremely well on the highway for as much traction as they provide …

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the AT tires throw rocks, although i don't think my Toyo open country are as bad as the BFG KO2 i had previously. A guy needs to protect anything you are towing especially on gravel roads. I also put some rock deflector type running boards on my new truck, because my old one got beat to shit from the BFG’s

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went over to sams --- got the 80 dollars off --- when i looked at dura trac the load index is weak. I went with the trailrunner or something like that -- little less rugged looking, but somewhat close, however no road noise and it will tow a little more, more high speed (like i need that) and i havent had any issues this winter.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s a lot of tire rotations.

I have them rotated every time I get an oil change, so it's pretty easy. It pays to buy tires from a place that includes free rotate and balance.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cant go wrong with the general grabbers atx which is the new design from the at2. Stay away from the cooper discoverer at2

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't mean to hijack this thread... but those Toyo CT's look like some BAD tires. I think that will be the next set i try after my Yokohamas burn off.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a set on my F-150 crew. I have liked them, especially in the dirt, mud, snow. If there is a downside traction on ice was poor especially with an unloaded box.

I recommended a set to a friend who put them on his Wrangler and he hates them. With the short wheelbase, lighter vehicle, and no traction control he said he slides all over the place. Ice on pavement and when there is a thin layer of dirt/mud over pavement that gets wet from a light sprinkle are the biggest problems.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
71XB1JZbthL._SY550_.jpg here you go especially for you 3/4 ton and up trucks. I put a set on my personal pickup this year and was so impressed with their all around performance I put them on my service truck at work. Great on ice, snow, and in mud. They ride phenomenal and are extremely quiet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a couple sets of coopers at work and they wore out really fast. Toyo open country on my work pick up and I would never buy them.

Green19

Due to towing a 24 foot camper and a heavy glass boat I went with the 10 ply BFG KO2's on my old Tundra. Sold the truck with 50K on the tires and they looked very good yet and the current owner has 65K on them and he is reporting that he'll get 75K safely. I had no issues with those tires at all. My new Tundra is nearing the factory 25k and I'm looking for a new set. I'll be going with the same again. I find the tires are worth it in the long run.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an input don’t buy Falken a/t3W not impressed this winter

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
cim2.jpg here you go especially for you 3/4 ton and up trucks. I put a set on my personal pickup this year and was so impressed with their all around performance I put them on my service truck at work. Great on ice, snow, and in mud. They ride phenomenal and are extremely quiet.

I have these on my 3/4 ton Duramax. I have about 15,000 miles on them...love them thus far.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tires seem to be about the most impossible thing to get a clear answer on what is or isn't a good tire. There are just so many variables in vehicle/tire rating/tire size/air pressure etc. Two guys can have the same tire but one guy has the 10 ply on a 3/4 ton and the next guy a p-rated on 1/2 ton and they will have completely different results even though they are both the "same" tire.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
cim2.jpg here you go especially for you 3/4 ton and up trucks. I put a set on my personal pickup this year and was so impressed with their all around performance I put them on my service truck at work. Great on ice, snow, and in mud. They ride phenomenal and are extremely quiet.

I have these on my 3/4 ton Duramax. I have about 15,000 miles on them...love them thus far.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been running 10 ply Duratracs on my E-350 van (8000#) for about 6 years now and have no complaints. They work well on wet and dry roads, ice, snow and in the mud we have here (deep and snot slick).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75