Balancing UTV tires

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just order tires for my Polaris Ranger, do I just slap them on, or do they need balancing?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on how fast you drive. Do you do a lot of road driving as that is when you will more than likely really notice an unbalanced tire. We balance ours but do a lot of roads.
Put them on and run it and that will tell you if you need to balance them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on how fast you drive. Do you do a lot of road driving as that is when you will more than likely really notice an unbalanced tire. We balance ours but do a lot of roads.
Put them on and run it and that will tell you if you need to balance them.
Do you use wheel weights or those inside the tire beads?

- - - Updated - - -

Get a side car n put the wife in it. Might balance it out:;:smokin:;:huh
She usually is the one driving, as I am busy on nodak angler

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the steel rims we used wheel weights because they looked ugly already so adding weights wouldn't hurt the look anymore.
On the fancy rims we use stick on weights on the inside of the rim. Haven't had any come off yet and maybe we have just been lucky.
On our Polaris General we put on BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2's 30x9.50x15 as we drive lots of roads. Had to balance them too. Super quiet and being they are a light truck tire they wear like steel on a SxS. I see BFG makes a Mud Terrain tire for a UTV now and i think that is DOT approved.
On 2 of our Sportsmans that we had they had the factory tires on, they weren't balanced from the factory and it shook like heck going down the road. Took them and balanced them and drove like a Sunday car going to church!
Our Ranger did the same as our Sportsmans but we changed wheels and tires and balanced them right away.
Have heard a lot about the inside the tire beads and read about them too. Haven't heard anything but good about them so they must work. Just never personally talked with anyone that actually used them so can't say i heard it from the horses mouth. I wouldn't mind trying them once.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called my local tire shop guy that has been a tire guy 3rd generation and he stated they never balance tires on Rangers, it’s not the cost I give a shit about , it’s whether or not it is needed, or if I can have my farm buddy mount them faster and free

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck JR mount them and run them. If it shakes or shimmies take them off and get them balanced. If you stay 20-30 mph you probably won't notice it anyways. Maybe Momma will like it just like sitting on an unbalanced washing machine! :;:huh

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76