Over My Head

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last night I picked up a project truck for my step son and I. I found a 70 Chevy C10 2wd longbed with a new 350 (mild build), 1 rocker repaired and 1 replaced already, some body work complete, new tires, new exhaust, little to no rust left (needs 1 patch panel about 4x4), solid floors, solid body mounts, etc. It is no power steering no power brakes with drums on all 4 corners.

I admit I am already feeling a bit overwhelmed.... I just ordered a front drum to power disc conversion kit because initially I want the focus to be on the safety and drivability. My step son is becoming a really decent welder so I will let him have at the small needed patch. I will need 1 bed side (let me know if you have a passenger side in great shape) and a few other dings massaged.

Any recommendations? What the hell did I do? Any body work for dummies books or tuitorials anyone knows of?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
LMC Truck will be your new friend for ordering parts. I would see if you could follow around a body man for some small work for a few hours sometime and slowly learn the trade. Ive been around my dad for many, many years watching him with airplanes and vehicles. All of it is time consuming. The prep work and body work is the hard part, and painting is easy. There's a lot of stuff on youtube for newbies these days also. Good luck and enjoy it!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.gmsquarebody.com will be your new best friend for the next few years. It is ridiculous how much knowledge there is on that site. The people on that site are super awesome and if you run into issues or don't know how to do something, simply post a question and you will have some of the smartest people on the internet when it comes to squarebody trucks helping you.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most popular produced truck ever 67 to 72 chevy GMC pickup there are numerous websites dedicated to this truck. Dont forget about Facebook and YouTube videos are your friends. Good luck please post updates of your project it would be awesome to see the progress of this project. Congrats on your find oh cant go wrong with chevy orange grin!!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heres what im starting with... p_5528ba004368b48a428a56328b514985.jpgp_b8f6400823cfed4be0de75e2a40c451e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

not sure what your lookin to pay for box sides, but check these out. http://www.bismanonline.com/minot_nd/1970_c10_oem_chevrolet_long_box_sides_left_and_ri

Just sent this huy a message. New repops run 500-600 plus shipping...

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice score man. I have an 86 gmc 1/2 ton it's not in too bad of shape, but it could definitely use some rust repair. I'm not too worried about it though as I just use it for puttin around and hunting.

If you or your stepson are on Facebook you should check out c/10 Club ND. Lots of good dudes in there and some pretty neat rides as well. Lots of knowledge in that group as well.

The motor looks pretty clean, was it rebuilt by the previous owner or was it a crate motor? Looks like it must have headers on it too eh?

those 70's are sweet trucks. Once we get done building on our new property I'll be looking for a short bed from that generation to build for my kid to drive.

Only thing I can say about ordering sheet metal online(if you go that route) is go to gmsquarebody.com and search their forums to see who's good to buy from and who isn't. Some of the companies that sell that stuff can be pretty hit or miss. The boys and girls on that site know who's good and who isn't.

Welcome to the addiction that is square body trucks!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice score man. I have an 86 gmc 1/2 ton it's not in too bad of shape, but it could definitely use some rust repair. I'm not too worried about it though as I just use it for puttin around and hunting.

If you or your stepson are on Facebook you should check out c/10 Club ND. Lots of good dudes in there and some pretty neat rides as well. Lots of knowledge in that group as well.

The motor looks pretty clean, was it rebuilt by the previous owner or was it a crate motor? Looks like it must have headers on it too eh?

those 70's are sweet trucks. Once we get done building on our new property I'll be looking for a short bed from that generation to build for my kid to drive.

Only thing I can say about ordering sheet metal online(if you go that route) is go to gmsquarebody.com and search their forums to see who's good to buy from and who isn't. Some of the companies that sell that stuff can be pretty hit or miss. The boys and girls on that site know who's good and who isn't.

Welcome to the addiction that is square body trucks!

Motor is a 69 4 nolt main 350. Headers, slight cam, and some non-stock internals. Was told around 400hp.

Found stock bed sides in great shape from a Vollmer... only 1 spot of rust repair needed and the patch panel came with the truck. Will prob put new header panel in box and wheel wells ro reduce metal work needed.

Its gonna be fun. And alot of work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 68